Summer before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jen21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering what everyone else is going to do the summer before med school?

I start on aug 2nd, so my summer is kinda short but I think I'm going to try to get a part-time job and just relax with friends and take some road trips (maybe?).

-Jen :)

(3 weeks till graduation- really pumped!)

Members don't see this ad.

I am working full time to save up some money, and I'll cut out a couple of weeks early to buy furniture and stuff and move into my new apartment. I'll move in 2 full weeks before orientation starts, so I have time to get settled and relax.

I really don't think it's economical to go on a bunch of trips when I'm trying to save up money, but I'm happy sitting at home watching movies and stuff----I don't have to go places to have fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
jen21 said:
Hi,

I was just wondering what everyone else is going to do the summer before med school?

I start on aug 2nd, so my summer is kinda short but I think I'm going to try to get a part-time job and just relax with friends and take some road trips (maybe?).

-Jen :)

(3 weeks till graduation- really pumped!)

I'm gonna review our embryology notes all summer long! :laugh: Seriously I am gonna get a job and drink large quantities of alcoholic beverages, play poker, and go golfing!

DORoe said:
Seriously I am gonna get a job and drink large quantities of alcoholic beverages, play poker, and go golfing!

Thats a big 10-4 good buddy! Cheers to that plan! :thumbup:

Homunculus said:
you can drink, play golf, and relax during school, too. it's all a matter of balance (and knowing what classes to skip). :)

I am hoping that is the case, but alas golf is primarily a summertime activity in Ohio. However, poker and alcohol can be enjoyed all year long.

Our classes begin the end of July.

There are so many things I want to do that my 'to do' list has morphed into a 'to do' notebook.

gioia said:
Our classes begin the end of July.

There are so many things I want to do that my 'to do' list has morphed into a 'to do' notebook.
May I ask what school this is?

I'm quitting my job at the end of June. Going on a vacation for 2 weeks in northern Wisconsin. Touring around with Dave Matthews Band for a month. Then going to school. Do what you want to get done before med school starts. Don't worry about money too much, loans will more than cover what you need. Have your fun.

DORoe said:
I am hoping that is the case, but alas golf is primarily a summertime activity in Ohio. However, poker and alcohol can be enjoyed all year long.

Hey DORoe,

Have you ever played Cooks Creek Golf Course on US 23 about 15 miles south of Columbus? It is a great golf course!

Aaron

Members don't see this ad :)
DORoe said:
May I ask what school this is?

Hi! University of New England. My consolation is that we were told we have the 2nd longest gross anatomy course in the nation, number 1 being John Hopkins.

I am finishing my last class of undergraduate studies. Statistics. Going to Nashville for a little bit. No work what so ever. Attend the PCOM summer Biochem class for 2 weeks and then relax for the rest of the time.

Aaron Earles said:
Hey DORoe,

Have you ever played Cooks Creek Golf Course on US 23 about 15 miles south of Columbus? It is a great golf course!

Aaron

No but i think i have heard of it. C-bus is about 1 hour and 45 minutes from my house so i don't make it there too often. I may have to make the drive though.

Yeah, you will need to try it if you are down that way anytime soon. It is a tough course, lots of water and some very long holes. It was reasonably priced to be as nice as it was. Good golfing DORoe!

Aaron

i am probably the only one who plans to semi-study this summer. i have a 2 month gap between quitting my job and starting school, so i'm just going to lay on the beach and read. i havent been in school for 2 years so i need to do something to get my brain functioning in that way again. i dont want to hit my studying-stride half way through the semester! but i also plan lots of relaxing, road trips, and baseball games. (yeah mets!)

Chrisobean said:
but i also plan lots of relaxing, road trips, and baseball games. (yeah mets!)

So do you plan on watching Pittsburgh sweep the Mets this summer, like they did this past weekend :D You might stress yourself out before med school following the Mets...

Talkin' smack to the Beaners...yeah boyee!

As for myself, Outer Banks w/family for a week, 1 week driving from San Fran to San Diego to Grand Canyon w/girlfriend, and 2 weeks chillin' and illin' in Istanbul. What a grand summer it will be...

dude, i'm a mets fan, i'm used to it. and the season just started. its ok if the crappy pirates beat them now, so relish it because it wont happen again!

is that all you got?? :)

turkdlit said:
So do you plan on watching Pittsburgh sweep the Mets this summer, like they did this past weekend :D You might stress yourself out before med school following the Mets...

Talkin' smack to the Beaners...yeah boyee!

As for myself, Outer Banks w/family for a week, 1 week driving from San Fran to San Diego to Grand Canyon w/girlfriend, and 2 weeks chillin' and illin' in Istanbul. What a grand summer it will be...

I love the pirates! GOOOOO BUCS!!!!!! :)

jen21 said:

Yea, but you are also a Steelers fan so please put your statments into context :laugh:

jen21 said:

Me too! I will still root for my hometown team, no matter how bad they are. (And since 1992 that has been pretty bad!)
Have you ever been to PNC Park? It's a beautiful ballpark. Only thing is you spend a small fortune there on food!

DOtobe said:
Me too! I will still root for my hometown team, no matter how bad they are. (And since 1992 that has been pretty bad!)
Have you ever been to PNC Park? It's a beautiful ballpark. Only thing is you spend a small fortune there on food!

Yes i have. I love it :) yeah food and beer is always such a rip off at those kinds of things.

Oh and to DORoe- GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the browns suck!) :p
(yeah it has been hard being a steeler fan while going to a school near cleveland. i get picked on all the time)

jen21 said:
Yes i have. I love it :) yeah food and beer is always such a rip off at those kinds of things.

Oh and to DORoe- GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the browns suck!) :p
(yeah it has been hard being a steeler fan while going to a school near cleveland. i get picked on all the time)

OMG, Steelers fans! Where have yinz been?! I've been using SDN for like, over a year and have yet to talk Steelers with anyone on here.

Anyone as excited about the draft this Saturday as I am?!!!??!?!

turkdlit said:
OMG, Steelers fans! Where have yinz been?! I've been using SDN for like, over a year and have yet to talk Steelers with anyone on here.

I don't know why you are going to make a big mistake and choose Phillip Rivers anyhow. His throwing motion will be hard to overcome in the NFL.

The last real summer of my pre-retirement life...hmm, yeah I'm gonna work hard, study, take the MCAT again just for fun, and maybe take some continuing education classes..NOT!!! I'm thinkin' some travelin', chillin' out, bein' lazy, seekin' shelter, singin' songs, replacin' the last letter of certain words with a " ' ".

You know, live in the summer of "the dude", man. (come on, I know there are some Lebowski fans out there...) The dude abides...I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that... That's what this summer is all about! Enjoy the nice gentle float down the river, man, because come August my ass is gonna hit the rapids! :laugh:

DORoe said:
I don't know why you are going to make a big mistake and choose Phillip Rivers anyhow. His throwing motion will be hard to overcome in the NFL.

If Ben Roethlisberger sticks around after the first ten picks, we'll snatch him up fo' so'! Fat chance though...

I think the general consensus in Pittsburgh is if Roethlisberger isn't available, we'll go for a high-end corner, either DeAngelo Hall or Dunta Robinson. Our secondary got torn to shreds the past two years, and Maddox should have a couple more years left in him, so a future-building QB may not be necessary...I totally agree, I'm against picking Rivers. We'll see this Sat though...

Are you a Browns and/or Bengals fan (grrrr...)?

gioia said:
My consolation is that we were told we have the 2nd longest gross anatomy course in the nation

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. The only thing in the world that I hate worse than anatomy is neuroanatomy.

turkdlit said:
If Ben Roethlisberger sticks around after the first ten picks, we'll snatch him up fo' so'! Fat chance though...

I think the general consensus in Pittsburgh is if Roethlisberger isn't available, we'll go for a high-end corner, either DeAngelo Hall or Dunta Robinson. Our secondary got torn to shreds the past two years, and Maddox should have a couple more years left in him, so a future-building QB may not be necessary...I totally agree, I'm against picking Rivers. We'll see this Sat though...

Are you a Browns and/or Bengals fan (grrrr...)?

I don't think that Hall will be on the board for your pick. If MY Browns can't get Winslow Jr. or trade up to take Gallery they will probably go with him. I look for Roethlisberger to either go to Arizona (if fitzgerald is picked up by the Raiders) or possibly to the Raiders. Robinson will still be available so he might be your pick. I love it! I can't wait till saturday. I need football season to return. Sure basketball and baseball are great, but it is just something to do until football season starts.

turkdlit said:

wow i can't believe no one else on SDN is a steeler fan- I feel bad for them.

:laugh:

PARTY YOUR TAIL OFF!!! Relax, travel...do what you have been dying to do.

jen21 said:
wow i can't believe no one else on SDN is a steeler fan- I feel bad for them.

:laugh:

*raises hand*

Make that 3 Stillers fans! ;)

DOtobe said:
*raises hand*

Make that 3 Stillers fans! ;)

Yeah! Reprazent! One for 'da thumb!

Good news guys Ben looks like he is going to fall. You might be able to pick him up with your pick. Ive seen him play a few times and he is a great QB.

DORoe said:
Good news guys Ben looks like he is going to fall. You might be able to pick him up with your pick. Ive seen him play a few times and he is a great QB.

Damn I hope we do...we'll prolly have to trade up a bit, but it'll be worth it, Maddox is getting older and less accurate. I agree, he's fast and very strong. Good luck to the Brownies Roe, I hope you guys get some quality picks this Saturday :)