Summer caps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych84

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a business minded person, and I'm considering opportunities in the future that makes sense. Since I intend on doing School Psychology, I'll be dealing with children who have certain developmental disorders, (ADHD, Autism spectrum disorders) and learning disabilities. These children are very challenging for parents to deal with on a day to day basis. What do you guys think about summer caps that offer accomodation, therapy, and an opportunity for these kids to learn new skills?

What are the laws surrounding such programs in the US/Canada?

Would there be a conflict of interest to be a School Psychologist but also have another business on the side?

Members don't see this ad.

It's tricky. I could do therapy with someone who I have done an evaluation on. But I would not do the other way around, because I may lose objectivity. Granted, I am in a different context. I gain no financial incentive for referring patients for other services that I offer. My pay is the same whether or not I only do the evaluation, or if I do the evaluation and follow-up with cog rehab.

In a situation, as in private practice where you get paid according to all of your billable hours, you would have to make sure you are abiding my the multiple relationships guidelines as outlined by your psych association.

It's tricky. I could do therapy with someone who I have done an evaluation on. But I would not do the other way around, because I may lose objectivity. Granted, I am in a different context. I gain no financial incentive for referring patients for other services that I offer. My pay is the same whether or not I only do the evaluation, or if I do the evaluation and follow-up with cog rehab.

In a situation, as in private practice where you get paid according to all of your billable hours, you would have to make sure you are abiding my the multiple relationships guidelines as outlined by your psych association.

Yeah, I would def stay away from reffering people from the school context to that other business.

My main worry is about hiring competent/professional/responsible people. I love the business model but I worry about potentially being liable for other peoples conduct. I can set things up as carefully as possible, and try to hire the best possible people, but if anything goes wrong, it comes down to you.
That is the scary part.

The Ontario College of Psychologists are great at replying back to people really quickly. I asked this question.

Essentially, they say as long as you stick within your "scope of practice", and do not reffer from the school context to that other business, there should not be any issues.