Summer course biochem burn out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AniSci

AniSci
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Clearly from the title, I'm taking biochem this summer.

I just finished my senior year, but I've got an extra fall semester (that's not going to be "fun" at all--physics 2 and micro/micro lab) before I can finally graduate.

Anyway, I've been suffering from burn out like no. Other. I'm burned out from last year, burned out from May (my only time "off" from school) when I was filling out vet school applications and studying for/taking the GRE. And needless to say, biochem is seriously sucking me dry of any life I had left in me.

I've never taken summer classes, and am having a serious time staying motivated and focused for the last few weeks of class. I do take breaks, usually on Saturdays to hang out with my boyfriend/friends/family. But otherwise, it's constant studying.

Any advice on how to keep going?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my senior year, but I've got an extra fall semester (that's not going to be "fun" at all--physics 2 and micro/micro lab) before I can finally graduate.

Anyway, I've been suffering from burn out like no. Other. I'm burned out from last year, burned out from May (my only time "off" from school) when I was filling out vet school applications and studying for/taking the GRE. And needless to say, biochem is seriously sucking me dry of any life I had left in me.

I've never taken summer classes, and am having a serious time staying motivated and focused for the last few weeks of class. I do take breaks, usually on Saturdays to hang out with my boyfriend/friends/family. But otherwise, it's constant studying.

At some point, you just have to keep on keepin' on. If you're doing well in the course thanks to all of your studying, that is good motivation. Getting into veterinary school is also good motivation. Try doing two days a week for fun, maybe Saturday and a Wednesday night or something. That way you can break up your study time more. Take study breaks to watch TV or do whatever it is you like to do. I hated my time in undergrad, tbh. I did well and enjoyed the material, but I just felt like I was bashing my head against a wall 24/7. Veterinary school won't be much different when you look at time spent studying. Nobody likes to study, but as long as you're doing well and enjoying the material, just keep going. You're almost done with the summer. Can you plan any fun trips in the week or so between summer and fall semesters?

If you are having to study "constantly" (i.e. to the point that you only have one day off per week to have "you" time) then you need to take a serious look at your study habits, because they are obviously inefficient. No one should have to study every free moment for one class.

Describe how you are studying, and maybe we can give some pointers. The amount of time spent on scholastic activities as opposed to "real life" seems the be the most recent source of the burnout here - better to get to the source than just manage the symptoms via external motivation. No amount of motivation is going to help if you are turning your brain into soup by isolating yourself from everything but classes and books.

Have you considered seeing someone about all this? So many of your posts have to do with feeling overworked and burnt out - you don't want it spiraling into depression. You need to address these issues before vet school, if you are accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are having to study "constantly" (i.e. to the point that you only have one day off per week to have "you" time) then you need to take a serious look at your study habits, because they are obviously inefficient. No one should have to study every free moment for one class.

Describe how you are studying, and maybe we can give some pointers. The amount of time spent on scholastic activities as opposed to "real life" seems the be the most recent source of the burnout here - better to get to the source than just manage the symptoms via external motivation. No amount of motivation is going to help if you are turning your brain into soup by isolating yourself from everything but classes and books.

Have you considered seeing someone about all this? So many of your posts have to do with feeling overworked and burnt out - you don't want it spiraling into depression. You need to address these issues before vet school, if you are accepted.

It's not "constant studying" per se. Really a lot of it is preparation--a lot of text book reading, listening to pre-lecture material that my professor posts, and filling out the posted, tedious study guides for each lecture that he covers. About a week-and-a-half (a week, really, including procrastination) is when I really start to "study" for the exams. I'm doing alright; right now I've got a solid B, but who honestly knows where it'll end up after the next exam. They're very difficult, mostly short-answer, and the class average is in the 50s.

I do try to take some time off during the week (I have class for two hours three days a week), and each evening I'll quit around 7 or 8pm to just relax. I also try to workout almost every day in the mornings--it's my "me" time.

I DO realize that I need to take care of this before vet school, provided I get in. I'm not sure if you've picked up on it, but I'll hopefully have a whole spring semester to myself. Most of which, after this hellacious year, will probably be spent trying to put myself back together.

At some point, you just have to keep on keepin' on. If you're doing well in the course thanks to all of your studying, that is good motivation. Getting into veterinary school is also good motivation. Try doing two days a week for fun, maybe Saturday and a Wednesday night or something. That way you can break up your study time more. Take study breaks to watch TV or do whatever it is you like to do. I hated my time in undergrad, tbh. I did well and enjoyed the material, but I just felt like I was bashing my head against a wall 24/7. Veterinary school won't be much different when you look at time spent studying. Nobody likes to study, but as long as you're doing well and enjoying the material, just keep going. You're almost done with the summer. Can you plan any fun trips in the week or so between summer and fall semesters?

I have twelve days between summer and fall classes; all of which I plan on not doing anything on. ;)

I really hate undergrad; I make no secret of it. I know that the broad, what I like to refer to as "umbrella concepts" are useful and I've definitely learned a lot from the past four years. But I also realize that the material isn't necessarily anything like what I'll be learning and doing in vet school (provided I get in). And I think part of my lack of motivation as of late is because I don't find what I'm learning and being forced to spend so much of my time preparing for/learning/studying etc. in anyway enjoyable or useful.
Clearly, I love animals and I love medicine (even human! Gross, I know ;D). I'm passionate about helping and making a difference. But I feel there comes a point where I can only give so much of myself and my hobbies/free time/emotional energy for something that (I don't enjoy, e.i., undergrad) it ends up numbing any of that passion down to almost nothing. I know I'm still into it only because, after a break from school when I go back to visit some of my clinic friends, I feel that passion stir once again. And for a short time I'm motivated in school again.

Until I'm not. :/

this isn't correct. Some of it is very similar. And the presentation can be, too.

I'm saying that it's not presented in concentrated doses of physics, chemistry, biochemistry, etc. like in undergrad. Plus it's being applied to something actually important, and useless concepts and homework problems aren't just being shoved down your throat. And before you call me out on it, I'm WELL aware of the amount of studying and work that comes with vet school. I'm not saying it's going to be any easier in that sense, I'm just saying that it's more interesting and fun. Most of the time.

groundhog-day-bill-murray-day.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I'm saying that it's not presented in concentrated doses of physics, chemistry, biochemistry, etc. like in undergrad. Plus it's being applied to something actually important, and useless concepts and homework problems aren't just being shoved down your throat. And before you call me out on it, I'm WELL aware of the amount of studying and work that comes with vet school. I'm not saying it's going to be any easier in that sense, I'm just saying that it's more interesting and fun. Most of the time.

I'm a little confused on what you mean by this. I'm guessing I'm probably not the only one. While I obviously don't have an extensive understanding of what vet school is like as of yet, from what I do understand, there are still classes that focus on specific subject areas and are actually more concentrated in their "dosage" than undergrad...?

Re: your original question, I will second the just-keep-plugging-along sentiment. Yeah, this is harder in the summer time, but you gotta do what you gotta do. So, just do it. [insert Nike swoosh somewhere in here]

your attitude needs to be that what you are doing now is being applied to something important - getting into vet school - that is, if it is truly important to you.

You think you know all about vet school but you have no clue.

Reactions: 3 users
Vet school material is actually significantly more concentrated with all different subjects. It might not be classes of just biochem, then just physics, then just chemistry, but classes that pull from several different subjects. I can't think of a class in vet school that won't be based off of a pre-req we've all taken. It's not totally the same, but imagine comparing a high school AP chem class to a university's chem class. I breezed through my AP classes no problem. The material was spread through an entire year. University chem? Struggled, and a lot, until I took my last chem course in my last summer and was much better at practicing/studying. College level courses are like AP courses when compared to veterinary courses in the sense that veterinary school pounds so much more information in a much shorter time frame.

The homework exists to (besides giving you more points in the class) provide practice to concepts covered in lecture. Frankly, most of my learning in undergrad came from solving homework problems. I think you really need to take a step back and evaluate your goals again. Again, I'll mention I hated my undergrad experience. It wasn't solely based on my academic life, but I won't go into that here. You need to be 100% certain you are enjoying the classes you take, at least the pre-reqs. You need to understand the material. You need to make sure that this is what you want to do. If you are losing motivation while only taking 1 class that meets 3x a week, imagine how you'll feel when you're taking a full-time veterinary school curriculum + debt stress + being away from friends/family/boyfriend + debt stress.

You ask as if you are considering dropping the class? I have no advice on how to make it easier which may also be your question... But advice on how to keep going specifically.... You just do it! If you let your lack of motivation get the best of you (visit the thread Class of 2020 Applicants) someone else will take your place.

Motivation should come from how badly you want this regardless of how tired/ overworked/ stressed you are. We all are. And I have a pretty good feeling it will only get worse :)

Yes, take breaks. Yes, split up your study schedule. Yes, have some sort of activity that makes you smile when you're not studying. But.... what would probably be most helpful for you is to stop venting. Now wait -- please hear me out:

The more time you spend being bullheaded and complaining about your burnout and your hatred of undergrad, the less time you're spending actually finding a productive solution to the problem (I get it -- I speak from being an excessive complainer sometimes).

It's important to have an outlet for your frustrations (note: it doesn't always need to be this forum), but when you insist on focusing on the negative and theorizing about how much greener the grass is in the idyllic vet school of your future, nothing will change. Shut down the negativity. Accept that you need to know this, that, and the other, and be done with it. Maybe it's stupid. Maybe it's annoying. Doesn't change the fact that at the end of the week you need to be able to show the professor you learned something. Education always ends up in a lot of hoop jumping. It's the game.

I'm currently in anatomy, and it's an unfathomable amount of information to know. But every vet student has to push through it. Same thing goes for the prereq classes. That's why there's not a lot of sympathy going around. That also won't change. Each and every one of us has probably experienced an equally hellish time whether it was during undergrad or during vet school or during some other life event. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and move on. I can almost guarantee that you'll feel better, more motivated, and more proud of yourself when you do.

Based on the number of times you've posted essentially this exact statement despite being told that your notions are incorrect, I wonder if your biggest issue leading to burnout is your inability to listen/learn/heed advice and continuing to fret about the same thing.

Trust me, most of what you learn your first year of vet school is extremely uninteresting. If you keep up this attitude, you will be beyond burnt out very quickly in vet school.

It's not "constant studying" per se. Really a lot of it is preparation--a lot of text book reading, listening to pre-lecture material that my professor posts, and filling out the posted, tedious study guides for each lecture that he covers. About a week-and-a-half (a week, really, including procrastination) is when I really start to "study" for the exams. I'm doing alright; right now I've got a solid B, but who honestly knows where it'll end up after the next exam. They're very difficult, mostly short-answer, and the class average is in the 50s.

This all sounds like passive studying, which is honestly the worst and most tedious type (yet, unfortunately, the only way to study that most people are trained to study through high school and college, so I can't blame you). I always tell students that the worst, absolute WORST form of studying is endless reading and highlighting or just passively listening to a lecture.

Look up how to be an active studier. You need to treat your brain like a little kid - because honestly, it IS a little kid and it gets bored easily. I.e. ask yourself questions about the material as you go, pretend you're the teacher. Think about what they would ask, what choices they would give you, and how you would answer them. Make your own study guides in your own words. Combine text with pictures and flowcharts that you design whenever possible. Create stories (doesn't matter how silly) involving concepts. Be proactive and make a dedicated study schedule and stick to it to avoid procrastination. Integrate concepts. Do not simply memorize. Etc. This cuts down immensely on the time needed to study because not only will you be cutting out the endless times your brain shuts down/you get friustrated/etc with passive studying, but you will also retain information more quickly and more comphrehensively.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there any way you can get even a tiny bit of clinic time/volunteer time in on the weekend to re-energize/re-motivate yourself for these last few weeks?

Other than that, I think WTF hit the nail on the head re:study methods. I didn't know how to study in college and I had a pretty poor GPA. When I got to vet school, I re-taught myself how to study and the most effective method was in a group with two friends where we talked through all of the concepts and quizzed each other on topics. Actually making your mind work through the material, either in group study or by asking questions and answering them yourself, is a lot better than just reading and listening. Give it a try :)

Which vet school are you planning on going to? Because if you're planning to NOT have to learn "concentrated doses of physics, chemistry, biochemistry, etc." then I assume you're planning to NOT have to learn things like radiology, pharmacology, physiology, etc….so good luck finding the vet school that doesn't teach those things.

Reactions: 2 users
Which vet school are you planning on going to? Because if you're planning to NOT have to learn "concentrated doses of physics, chemistry, biochemistry, etc." then I assume you're planning to NOT have to learn things like radiology, pharmacology, physiology, etc….so good luck finding the vet school that doesn't teach those things.
But it's going to be interesting and fun so that's completely different! :rolleyes:

For the sake of arguing OP, let's assume that you will absolutely love/enjoy every single vet school class you have (which is extremely unlikely, but let's just say you will). The thing is, just because you love a class doesn't mean that burn-out won't creep in. In fact, vet school is notorious about making you feel apathetic towards classes that you know is important, and that you intuitively enjoy. There's just so much in so little time, that it's hard (at least for me), to really stop and love every single class, and then that's where burn-out is right around the corner waiting to pounce.

It's also really dangerous to have this "but when I get to vet school everything will be okay!" attitude, because to be very honest, a lot of times when you come in with depression or burnout, it not only doesn't get better, but it can get a lot worse, which is why everyone is suggesting you start to fix things now instead of waiting until vet school where you can accidentally dig yourself into a hole that you can potentially have a hard time getting out of.

Reactions: 1 users