Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I need a little advice... I literally JUST committed to Rutgers SURF (because it was the deadline to accept) and got my PI placement, emailed the guy, etc. Apparently he's pretty top notch, his summer students get a lot of awards and some publications...the research isn't exactly what I'm used to but I wanna try new things and explore my interests. Plus, I did get placed in pharmacology which is my choice of career path.

I woke up this morning to an acceptance from SUPERS@UPenn (I was on the waitlist but it had been a while so I wasn't holding my breath anymore). UPenn is obviously a dream, especially since I go to a no-name no-research school. Plus, UPenn offers more money PLUS housing & a meal plan (none of which are covered by Rutgers). Additionally, I would prefer to be in Philly for personal reasons, but New Brunswick isn't a bad location either. I thought UPenn was a clear top choice before, but now I'm just confused about which program is better for me, aligns more with my interests, etc. Plus I'm not sure how I would back out of Rutgers if I wanted to (I don't want to be rude, plus I'm very interested in their grad program). I'm going to have a meeting with my adviser today but does anyone have any advice?

I was in a similar situation when I applied for summer programs during my junior year. I had been emailing the director of the program that I was incredibly interested in going to, got admitted and shortly after committed. A week later, I was admitted to Harvard SHURP, so I had to weigh the pros and cons of each program and I decided to go with Harvard. Ultimately, the administration of the program I declined was very respectful of my decision and they probably moved on to offer my spot to someone else. Ironically, I was admitted to the school I declined for my PhD and rejected from Harvard (LOL).

As long as you send them a courteous email, they won't really care. I agree with people saying that money is a very valid reason to decline a school over another, although it seems that you also think that UPenn is a better fit. At the end of the day, if you work hard in both places, you'll get a great letter from either PI, which should be your goal. However, I think that, if all other circumstances are the same, going to Penn might still prove to be the most beneficial circumstance just because name recognition could help you stand out from other candidates. I'm certain that this won't be a make-break situation, but I can't deny that it will help. Just my two cents. Let me know if you have questions about Penn, I'm currently a graduate student there! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected from Columbia Amgen.

"I regret to inform you that you were not selected to receive the Amgen Scholars fellowship for the upcoming summer. We had far, far more outstanding applicants than available fellowships this year.

This decision must not negate you from applying next year. As I'm sure you know, the Amgen Scholars Program is an ongoing summer research opportunity; If eligible, we encourage you to apply again next year, and thank you for your interest.

Once again, I am very sorry this didn't work out for you."

I am triggered by that last sentence... Who says that in a rejection letter?

Reactions: 2 users

"I regret to inform you that you were not selected to receive the Amgen Scholars fellowship for the upcoming summer. We had far, far more outstanding applicants than available fellowships this year.

This decision must not negate you from applying next year. As I'm sure you know, the Amgen Scholars Program is an ongoing summer research opportunity; If eligible, we encourage you to apply again next year, and thank you for your interest.

Sorry to hear that:( Did they send it to you or did you ask about your status?

Members don't see this ad :)

"This didn't work out for you" Is such an odd phrase and could have been left out. Getting rejected hurts enough lol, saying it didn't work out for you is a bit harsh .

But anyways, what's your plans for the summer as of now?

"This didn't work out for you" Is such an odd phrase and could have been left out. Getting rejected hurts enough lol, saying it didn't work out for you is a bit harsh .

I agree that's awkward and lacks sympathy

I was already accepted/committed to UCSF SRTP, so I'll be heading there!

I was already accepted/committed to UCSF SRTP, so I'll be heading there!
Nice that's exciting!! Have fun in Cali, wow, what's your research topics? I would love to go there for their bioengineering research (really cutting edge stuff they're doing) or bioinformatics.

Has anyone heard anything from the Institute of Computational Medicine (ICM) at Hopkins? I applied through SIP & have heard back from my alternate choices, but not ICM. I tried emailing their program director but have not received a response. Also, anyone know if CSHL and Stanford SSRP do silent rejections?

I haven't heard back from CSHL or JHU ICM. I'm planning on email them soon. I see that someone earlier in the thread got into CSHL (sometime in February) but no one else has said anything about getting in or receiving any word from them.

Guys, I'm totally new here and very confused. (if this post doesn't belong here please let me know!)
I received acceptance from LSSURP Pre-MSTP today, but I can't find much information about it outside of their website. Any advice? Is it worth it? They phoned me in the morning and seemed to try to lure me in with their financial aid package... is this standard practice? I'm a freshman at a top 5 school, but with only a semester's worth of research experience, I honestly don't know why they would accept me. I'm excited and the program seems great, but somehow I'm also slightly sketched out given that I was already rejected from 6 programs I feel I was more qualified for (this was my first acceptance).
Pls. help, maybe I'm just being paranoid ;)

Guys, I'm totally new here and very confused. (if this post doesn't belong here please let me know!)
I received acceptance from LSSURP Pre-MSTP today, but I can't find much information about it outside of their website. Any advice? Is it worth it? They phoned me in the morning and seemed to try to lure me in with their financial aid package... is this standard practice? I'm a freshman at a top 5 school, but with only a semester's worth of research experience, I honestly don't know why they would accept me. I'm excited and the program seems great, but somehow I'm also slightly sketched out given that I was already rejected from 6 programs I feel I was more qualified for (this was my first acceptance).
Pls. help, maybe I'm just being paranoid ;)

lol. I don't see why based on what you said the program should be viewed as sketch. Maybe you are paranoid xD

I mean, applying to these summer programs is no different from applying to college/grad school/med school in the sense it really can be a crap shoot. Plenty of people will have been rejected from X university but accepted to Y university which is ranked higher. I know someone rejected from CMU but accepted to Harvard. Does that make Harvard sketch? From the perspective of UMN, it's possible they just saw someone who was passionate about research and had a semester's worth of research that was extensive. People have to start somewhere and gain experience. As for luring you with a financial aid package...I don't see it any different from any other program that lists a stipend down as a benefit. My acceptance letter to IOWA SUMR for example made a note of the stipend. I didn't interpret it the same way as you did with your call. But hey, maybe I'm missing something that was said.

As to whether it's worth it...well, I probably sound like a broken record: it's up to you. If you have any other programs you're waiting on, you decide if it's worth waiting on those. Most people generally suggest accepting since there is no guarantee you'd get in elsewhere. Also, do note that AAMC itself does list down LSSURP as a summer program for MSTP aspirants on their website. I will state that relative to the number of research programs out there, the number of programs geared specifically towards MSTP is significantly smaller and that those with no URMs restrictions are even smaller.

lol. I don't see why based on what you said the program should be viewed as sketch. Maybe you are paranoid xD

I mean, applying to these summer programs is no different from applying to college/grad school/med school in the sense it really can be a crap shoot. Plenty of people will have been rejected from X university but accepted to Y university which is ranked higher. I know someone rejected from CMU but accepted to Harvard. Does that make Harvard sketch? From the perspective of UMN, it's possible they just saw someone who was passionate about research and had a semester's worth of research that was extensive. People have to start somewhere and gain experience. As for luring you with a financial aid package...I don't see it any different from any other program that lists a stipend down as a benefit. My acceptance letter to IOWA SUMR for example made a note of the stipend. I didn't interpret it the same way as you did with your call. But hey, maybe I'm missing something that was said.

As to whether it's worth it...well, I probably sound like a broken record: it's up to you. If you have any other programs you're waiting on, you decide if it's worth waiting on those. Most people generally suggest accepting since there is no guarantee you'd get in elsewhere. Also, do note that AAMC itself does list down LSSURP as a summer program for MSTP aspirants on their website. I will state that relative to the number of research programs out there, the number of programs geared specifically towards MSTP is significantly smaller and that those with no URMs restrictions are even smaller.

Thanks for the advice/reassurance ! I'll definitely accept the offer. In any case, it's is much better than sitting on a couch at home all summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected from Columbia Amgen today. Unlike the previous commenters, I kinda liked the “Sorry it didn’t work out for you” line. All I could think was me too Columbia, me too.

And besides, I was expecting a silent rejection, so this is better than nothing.

Rejected from Columbia Amgen today. Unlike the previous commenters, I kinda liked the “Sorry it didn’t work out for you” line. All I could think was me too Columbia, me too.

And besides, I was expecting a silent rejection, so this is better than nothing.

That is true, it's better than silent rejection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here I am, still waiting for responses from almost all of the programs that I applied to. I might not have any hair by the time this is through cause I've been slowly but surely pulling every last strand out...

Reactions: 6 users
Here I am, still waiting for responses from almost all of the programs that I applied to. I might not have any hair by the time this is through cause I've been slowly but surely pulling every last strand out...
I know exactly how you feel!!
I am in the same boat. I only got 2 rejections and the rest is mystery.

Sent from my SM-J727T using SDN mobile

I haven't heard from UC Berkeley Amgen either which implies they probably have far more than they can accept on their pseudo waitlist :/

I haven't heard from Columbia Amgen yet (got rejected from UCB Amgen after sending an email asking for my status). I know they probably do silent rejections but if they haven't sent me a rejection email what are the odds that I'm on some pseudowaitlist?

I haven't heard from UC Berkeley Amgen either which implies they probably have far more than they can accept on their pseudo waitlist :/
I would email the UCB Amgen coordinator. I sent her an email saying that I would like to know my status and that I would definitely commit if accepted and she informed me that I was rejected :( (at 2 AM in the morning no less).

Has anyone heard back from MCW SPUR or SURF Upstate?

I haven't heard from Columbia Amgen yet (got rejected from UCB Amgen after sending an email asking for my status). I know they probably do silent rejections but if they haven't sent me a rejection email what are the odds that I'm on some pseudowaitlist?
Well, the surefire way to find out would be to email Dr. Heicklen or Ms. Springer.

I kinda understand what med school applicants feel when they get silent rejections.

One of the programs I applied to has a definite timeline so I'll know my decision but the rest didn't even bother rejecting me. I know I had a crap application, I applied the day it was due and I put minimal effort.

Anyways, I think part of the reason I'm not so stressed is because I applied to so many things and I got into my top choice summer program at my University.

Even if I get into no other programs I can happily continue volunteering and start shadowing over the summer so that my summer is well spent :)

Edit: Advice to anyone who is waiting for these summer programs, if you don't get in just continue volunteering over the summer and shadow. These programs are meant to help premed students get on the right track but you can do your own DIY summer program that will be 10x more helpful when applying to med schools.

Has anyone else applied to University of Rochester's Summer Scholars program or UCSD's Stars?

I kinda understand what med school applicants feel when they get silent rejections.

One of the programs I applied to has a definite timeline so I'll know my decision but the rest didn't even bother rejecting me. I know I had a crap application, I applied the day it was due and I put minimal effort.

Anyways, I think part of the reason I'm not so stressed is because I applied to so many things and I got into my top choice summer program at my University.

Even if I get into no other programs I can happily continue volunteering and start shadowing over the summer so that my summer is well spent :)

Edit: Advice to anyone who is waiting for these summer programs, if you don't get in just continue volunteering over the summer and shadow. These programs are meant to help premed students get on the right track but you can do your own DIY summer program that will be 10x more helpful when applying to med schools.

I totally agree about creating your own summer program. There are thousands of PIs who need help , they might not be able to pay your but volunteer research tends to lead to being put on payroll or stipend in the future and your LOR will look better

Has anyone received a rejection from WUSTL Amgen, CSHL, Rockefeller SURP, or NYU. Haven't heard back from any of them and curious about silent rejections. Will probably shoot them an email in the next few days.

Has anybody been waitlisted from Mayo Clinic SURF?

I would suggest emailing these places. I sent emails to 5 programs I have not yet heard back from, and 2 of them almost immediately responded and told me offers were sent out weeks ago and I had been rejected. I was unable to get in touch with ICM @ JHU or CSHL — anyone know anything about these programs?

I would suggest emailing these places. I sent emails to 5 programs I have not yet heard back from, and 2 of them almost immediately responded and told me offers were sent out weeks ago and I had been rejected. I was unable to get in touch with ICM @ JHU or CSHL — anyone know anything about these programs?
Hey I also remember you haven't heard back from Stanford SSRP. If you sent them an email, did they respond? I'm wondering whether I should email them or not.

Emailed NYU Sackler today (applied through Leadership Alliance) about admissions decision dates. Nervously waiting to hear back from NYU CNS SURP and Sackler SURP. Hopefully will hear back soon!

Did anyone apply through SROP to University of Wisconsin - Madison or University of Michigan - Ann Arbor? I haven't heard from neither. (I am a psychology student, so the specific programs might differ).

I just want to add that financial situation as a primary interest is totally understandable since it is hard to poof money out of thin air to support room and board plus other additional costs during the summer while not working since your time is eaten up by doing the SURF. I think that reason alone trumps Rutgers. On top of that, what are your interests? What kind of research do you want to do? No offense, the reasoning to "run with the big kids" by doing a summer program doesn't prove that, it would show through other things (just want to note sometimes prestige blocks logic, summer research program at either schools are really fine since both Rutgers and Penn are massive research institutions). I think having a LOR from a PI is massive enough regardless of where their research is done.
I'm not really sure what my research interests are anymore tbh... I'm interested in pharmacology but not of any specific disease or disorder. Rutgers SURF is very pharma heavy but SUPERS isn't (their main focus is radiation science). However, SUPERS offers a little pharma-related research & several PIs are in the pharmacology graduate group. My placement is based on my app & LOR (in which I specifically stated whose lab I want to work in, on the pharma side, and why). Ultimately, I just want to get experience & explore topics outside of my current projects (which I realized I'm super sick of). The skillset is probably the most important takeaway and tbh it's going to be very similar across any program, I think. So as long as my skillset is transferable and relevant, the experience is good. Hopefully a good LOR from a well-respected PI will help.

My advisers have really stressed that having any experience from UPenn will be a massive plus to my app, due to my home institution's "lack of pedigree" (their words). I think this is because they're looking at prestige, acceptance rates, where alumni of the program continue their education, etc. But I promise I talked to my advisers for a LONG time to make sure this program is the better fit for me, not just because of the name or the money or the location, but because I'll be getting valuable experience there. And yes, as everyone is pointing out, the money is a HUGE help because now I can spend the rest of the summer studying for the GREs instead of trying to work a side job.

Did those recently rejected by Columbia Amgen email them asking about their status or did Columbia email them on their own?

I did email SSRP this morning inquiring about my application status and they responded with an acceptance letter...
Congratulations! SSRP is an amazing program. You will really enjoy it!

I did email SSRP this morning inquiring about my application status and they responded with an acceptance letter...

Woah Congrats!!! Now I'm wondering whether I should email them or not... decisions decisions...

Did those recently rejected by Columbia Amgen email them asking about their status or did Columbia email them on their own?
I also would like to know the answer to this. If you haven't heard back by now. does it mean you're still in the pool or maybe they haven't had the chance to "reject" you yet since acceptances went out last month? Trying to figure out whether I should email them asking about their decision.

Just emailed ISMMS, Rockefeller, Mayo and MD Anderson about their decision.. can't keep waiting since I already have a good offer from Penn USSP. Tried to sound as nice as possible in the email, hope they get back soon!

Just emailed ISMMS, Rockefeller, Mayo and MD Anderson about their decision.. can't keep waiting since I already have a good offer from Penn USSP. Tried to sound as nice as possible in the email, hope they get back soon!
Let me know what ISMMS says. I applied there too!

Sent from my SM-J727T using SDN mobile

Did anyone apply through SROP to University of Wisconsin - Madison or University of Michigan - Ann Arbor? I haven't heard from neither. (I am a psychology student, so the specific programs might differ).

Hi! I am also a psychology student :)

I applied to the PREP program at Wisconsin-Madison as well as the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor SROP. I have also yet to hear from either of them! Hopefully we will hear soon. It's so great to connect with other psych students!

I emailed CSHL. Told they'd send out decisions by end of March.

Got a rejection from Gerstner Sloan Kettering SURP and John Hopkins SIP Pulmonary Medicine...waiting to hear from JHU SIP’s Basic Science institute, UT Health’s MedSURP, UVA SIP, UNC-Chapel Hill and Cornell’s MBG-REU...

Last edited:
Was just accepted to an REU. I would be happy with it but it's the first one I've heard from out of 10 I applied to. Would it be worthwhile to email the programs I haven't heard back from yet? It seems to be a common thing to do but maybe not too successful with getting definite (and positive) answers...

Let me just preface this by saying I understand emotions can be/are flying and it truly can be a nerve-wrecking experience (I mean, we all went/are going through this). That said, and possibly because of that recognition, I'm honestly baffled by some of these, often redundant and at times wrong, comments being posted one after another that just perpetuate the growing sense of anxiety. Like, come on guys...

1. Has anyone heard back/got accepted/got rejected from X Y Z program? Yes, it's a fair question if it's a relatively obscure program, but often times these questions are about prominent programs like Amgen, REUs, etc. We have an acceptance/wait/rejection list; use it. Furthermore, THERE IS A SEARCH FEATURE THAT THIS SITE HAS BLESSED US WITH if you doubt the accuracy/up-to-dateness of the list.

2. I haven't heard back from X program. Am I rejected or waitlisted? See below for what is essentially the same question.

3. Should I email said program if I haven't heard back from them? Unless they explicitly said not to, why not? What do you have to lose? I'm perplexed when someone said "it seems like following up with your application status is a surefire way to get rejected. did that twice already." That's just...the only surefire thing emailing does is getting a direct answer from the program. Correlation doesn't mean the same thing as causation. These are programs with acceptance rates as low as 1%. Tying rejection to emailing them is just statistically wrong practice; trying to get other people to not do that is, imho, morally wrong. Why potentially make people needlessly suffer more in anxiety when it's possible they've already been placed out of consideration and just got silently rejected? I don't see why people's mental statuses and school work should potentially suffer when they're fretting over something that's been long decided a while ago. If you want to hold onto the belief that you still have a chance for a while longer, or don't want to receive potentially bad news upfront, fine, but don't force that belief on other people who might want otherwise.

Also, bear in mind, many of these programs have a lot of emails to siphon through. If you don't get an immediate/direct reply, calling by phone remains an option for a lot of programs.
___
So yeah...I don't typically post passive-aggressive (or just plain aggressive :thinking: ?) posts. But seriously, try not to make this place any more nerve-wrecking than it needs to be (and less importantly, filling my notifications for this thread with essentially repeat questions).

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those still waiting

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Has anyone heard back from/got accepted to/rejected from University of Cincinnati College of Medicine MSTP or ASPET SURF programs? Do you think if I haven't heard back by now that I've been rejected? If they didn't send a direct reject, was I waitlisted?? Also, do you think emailing or calling them will hurt my chances?

did anyone apply to/hear back from the harvard summer research program in kidney medicine?

Accepted to Vanderbilt SR-EIP today!! I have not received feedback on my status from the other Leadership Alliance programs though.
**accidentally copied and pasted the wrong master list. this should be correct now**

Accepted

Baylor College of Medicine SMART - _wallflower_(2/26)
Brown University w/ Leadership Alliance - beachwaterPR (2/28)
Case Western SURP - DD1023 (between 2/12-2/17)
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory URP - asdfghjkl123 (2/20)
Columbia Amgen - yjkimnada (2/23)
Columbia University (Leadership Alliance) - Kathellene (2/28)
Harvard HMS DBMI Bioinformatics Summer Institute - aew1996 (2/16)
Harvard Stem Cell Institute Internship Program - yjkimnada (2/23)
Houston Methodist SURI - cerealguy (2/28)
IOWA SUMR - whostolemypipette (3/1), manivharat (3/2)
Johns Hopkins BioREU - dejosco (2/28)
Johns Hopkins SIP - thekindflower123 (2/23)
Leadership Alliance - (University of Miami) - dh345 (2/23)
Leah Menshouse Springer Summer Opportunities Program at Siteman Cancer Center - parolinat (2/26)
Mayo Clinic SURF - BlotoftheNorth (2/8), JC7878 (2/19), KiwiSpice (2/13), RNARNARNA (2/27), asdfghjkl123 (2/15), TheRealBatmanMD (2/28)
Massachusetts General Hospital SRTP - nolandancegirl (2/27), DoctorMelanin (2/28)
MIT MSRP in Bio/Neuro - Narp2251 (2/9)
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE - superchamp14(2/16)
Memorial Sloan Kettering Summer Program - mdalltheway321 (2/28), asdfghjkl123 (2/28)
MSK Computational Biology Summer Program - aew1996 (2/16)
Mount Sinai SURP - moulmo (2/9)
NIH AMGEN - kmmd2018 (3/1)
NIH's BESIP (Biomedical Engineering Summer Internship Program) - Mekhmeh (2/26)
NIH SIP (NIA) - BlotoftheNorth (2/14)
Northwestern SROP (Feb 14) - kiki333 (2/14)
Northwestern University via Big Ten SROP - beachwaterPR's friend (2/28)
Pasteur Foundation Undergraduate Internship Program - RNARNARNA (3/1)
Penn State SURIP - thekindflower123 (2/23)
Pitt SURP - amethyst131 (3/5), TraderJoe1 (3/7)
The Scripps Research Institute SURF - 99731mj (2/24)
Rockefeller SURF - neuro_ramsey (the week of 2/19), _wallflower_ (2/28)
Rutgers University RISE - 99731mj (1/31)
Rutgers University SURF - BiotechBeotch (3/6)
SUPERS@PENN - Narp2251 (2/27)
Tri-Institutional CBSP - asdfghjkl123 (2/28)
UAB Summer in Biomedical Sciences (UAB SIBS) - cerealguy (2/28)
UCONN SRFP - noladancegirl ("a few weeks ago [from 2/28]")
UCSF SRTP- TheRealBatmanMD (2/28)
UMiami SURF - TraderJoe1 (3/6)
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor REU - wafet96 (2/17)
University of Michigan SMART- wannabe_obgyn (3/8)
University of Nebraska Medical Center - SURP - Narp2251 (2/21)
Upstate Med SURF-PS program- wannabe_obgyn (3/5)
U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research Summer Internship - lcg98 (2/13)
UT Southwestern SURF - Kathellene (2/28)
UTSW - Stem Cell - imwiththehomiesrightnow (2/28)
UTSW - QP-SURF - neuro_ramsey (3/1)
UVA SRIP - TotallyUncertain (2/15), Body Corpus (2/19)
Vanderbilt MSTP (Leadership Alliance SR-EIP) - marlie (3/15)
Vanderbilt UCRIP - yahneeks (2/13), SilverScalpel14 (2/13)
Wadsworth Institute (NY State Dept. of Health) REU - liketb12 (2/27)
Weill Cornell ACCESS - neuroeagle (2/21), liketb12 (3/5)
WUSTL Amgen - Narp2251 (3/1)
WUSTL
BioMedRAP - thekindflower123 (3/8)
Yale BioMed SURF - Gbarron (3/2), liketb12 (3/6)
Albert Einstein SURP- kiki333 (3/8)

Preliminary Offer/Interview
Columbia Amgen - sophhhhhhh123 (1/17)
CURE Program at Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center (DF/HCC) - liketb12 (2/26)
NIH SIP (NIA) - BlotoftheNorth (2/7 & 2/9)
Northwestern Undergraduate Medical Internship Program - yahneeks (1/26)
Pasteur Foundation Undergraduate Internship Program - RNARNARNA (2/23)
St. Jude POE Program- bratalat (2/15)
UPenn SUMR - Chromium Surfer 3/4, xxpathtomedxx 3/2

Waiting
Boston University SURF
Boston STaRS
Cincinnati Children's SURF
Cincinnati SURP
Columbia Amgen
Columbia SPHSP
CRISSP (Children's Healthcare of Philadelphia)
DAAD
Dana Farber CURE
Gerstner Sloan Kettering SURP
Harvard Amgen
Harvard HSCI
Harvard Immunology
Harvard (Leadership Alliance)
Harvard SEAS REU
Icahn School
Johns Hopkins BioREU
Johns Hopkins SIP
MCW SPUR
MIT
MD Anderson SURP
MGH SRTP
NIH Amgen Scholar
NIH STEP-UP NIDDK
Northeastern Dept. of Biology REU
NY Medical College (STAR)
NYU (Leadership Alliance)
Princeton University
Rutgers NeuroSURP
Rutgers University RISE
Stanford Amgen/SSRP
UC Berkeley Amgen
UChicago PSOMER
UChicago CAMP II
UNC SURE-REU
UPenn SINGH Nanotechnology REU
UPenn SUIP
UPenn SUMR
UPenn SUPERS
UPenn UCSP
UPenn (Leadership Alliance)
UTokyo Amgen
U of M Cardiovascular SURF
UVA SRIP
UVA (Leadership Alliance)
Penn State SURIP
Penn UCSP
Penn USSP
Pitt SURP
Tufts School of Engineering REU
Tufts University: Building Diversity in Biomedical Sciences
Vanderbilt MSTP
Wake Forest Summer Scholars
Weill Cornell ACCESS
Weill Cornell TRAVELERS Program
U of Wisconsin Madison SIGNALS
WUSTL IPH
Yale University (Leadership Alliance)
Yale BioMedical SURF

Rejected
Weill Cornell Gateways to Laboratory (Leadership Alliance) - lex_premed, liketb12 (2/8)
NIH Amgen Scholar - sophhhhhhh123 (2/10), manivharat (3/1)
Berkeley Amgen's - jackkkkkk (2/26)
Thomas Jefferson Biomedical Sciences Summer Research Program - BiotechBeotch (2/28)
JHU Basic Science Institute- manivharat (3/1)
Hopkins SIP for the public health division - (2/28) Chromium Surfer
University of Michigan CaRSIP- (3/1) wannabe_obgyn, Green_Goose
MGH SRTP- Chromium Surfer (3/2)
WashU BP-Endure- manivharat (2/28)
Johns Hopkins INBT- vermillionfighter (3/5), liketb12 (3/5)
Fred Hutch SURP xxpathtomedxx (2/20)
JHU Pulm/Critical Care - Chromium Surfer 3/8
Minnessota LSSURP Pre- MSTP - kiki333 (3/6)
St. Jude POE Program- Kirby Smart (3/11)

Last edited:
Let me just preface this by saying I understand emotions can be/are flying and it truly can be a nerve-wrecking experience (I mean, we all went/are going through this). That said, and possibly because of that recognition, I'm honestly baffled by some of these, often redundant and at times wrong, comments being posted one after another that just perpetuate the growing sense of anxiety. Like, come on guys...

1. Has anyone heard back/got accepted/got rejected from X Y Z program? Yes, it's a fair question if it's a relatively obscure program, but often times these questions are about prominent programs like Amgen, REUs, etc. We have an acceptance/wait/rejection list; use it. Furthermore, THERE IS A SEARCH FEATURE THAT THIS SITE HAS BLESSED US WITH if you doubt the accuracy/up-to-dateness of the list.

2. I haven't heard back from X program. Am I rejected or waitlisted? See below for what is essentially the same question.

3. Should I email said program if I haven't heard back from them? Unless they explicitly said not to, why not? What do you have to lose? I'm perplexed when someone said "it seems like following up with your application status is a surefire way to get rejected. did that twice already." That's just...the only surefire thing emailing does is getting a direct answer from the program. Correlation doesn't mean the same thing as causation. These are programs with acceptance rates as low as 1%. Tying rejection to emailing them is just statistically wrong practice; trying to get other people to not do that is, imho, morally wrong. Why potentially make people needlessly suffer more in anxiety when it's possible they've already been placed out of consideration and just got silently rejected? I don't see why people's mental statuses and school work should potentially suffer when they're fretting over something that's been long decided a while ago. If you want to hold onto the belief that you still have a chance for a while longer, or don't want to receive potentially bad news upfront, fine, but don't force that belief on other people who might want otherwise.

Also, bear in mind, many of these programs have a lot of emails to siphon through. If you don't get an immediate/direct reply, calling by phone remains an option for a lot of programs.
___
So yeah...I don't typically post passive-aggressive (or just plain aggressive :thinking: ?) posts. But seriously, try not to make this place any more nerve-wrecking than it needs to be (and less importantly, filling my notifications for this thread with essentially repeat questions).

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those still waiting
I couldn't agree more. To all those worried about contacting places here are the ones I contacted yesterday and what they told me (so should be the same for you beautiful fools) :

ISMMS - no set date for decisions. Keep checking your email, should be sent by end of March
Rockefeller - Will be sent out in next 2 weeks
MD Anderson SURP - By this weekend
Mayo clinic - rejected, decisions are apparently posted on our application profile through the applyyourself mayo clinic website (haven't checked) Mayo got 1300 applicants for 140 spots.

Has anyone heard back from/got accepted to/rejected from University of Cincinnati College of Medicine MSTP or ASPET SURF programs? Do you think if I haven't heard back by now that I've been rejected? If they didn't send a direct reject, was I waitlisted?? Also, do you think emailing or calling them will hurt my chances?

You're probably not rejected yet. The SURF (SURF, Children's Hospital, Neuro, MSTP) programs at the University of Cincinnati tend to send out notifications mid to late march.

Congrats! I know you were accepted to UCB as well. Which one are you going for? Shamelessly asking because I'm on UCB's pseudo waitlist lol.

I'm probably going to accept Caltech's offer tomorrow and turn down Berkeley. I hope y'all get an offer!