Summer Research Application Thread 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoelllllll

Reaction score
Decided to make one for this year (SURF, AMGEN, SPHSP etc)
List which ones you all applied to etc

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to SPHSP, FPHLP (UMich), and MCHC/RISE-UP (KKI/Johns Hopkins Location) through the CUPS program. I also applied to Stanford's AHEaD program.

Does anyone know when interview notifications will go out for FPHLP and MCHC/RISE-UP? SPHSP will come out next Friday (March 3), but I haven't found any information on a specific timeline for the others (AHEaD doesn't have an interview). Both websites just say February/March.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to SPHSP, FPHLP (UMich), and MCHC/RISE-UP (KKI/Johns Hopkins Location) through the CUPS program. I also applied to Stanford's AHEaD program.

Does anyone know when interview notifications will go out for FPHLP and MCHC/RISE-UP? SPHSP will come out next Friday (March 3), but I haven't found any information on a specific timeline for the others (AHEaD doesn't have an interview). Both websites just say February/March.
apparently FPHLP notifications came out on 2/22

Well for anyone who applied to UCLA SPHSP initial notifications came out. Got rejected but I hope I at least get accepted to the other programs I applied to

Accepted to CRISSP about 1.5 weeks ago! Had the interview with program coordinator and potential PI and received the acceptance later that same day. Interviews/acceptance timelines will definitely vary because the specific faculty mentors are doing interviews.

I applied:
UMich FPHLP (interview then rejected)
UCLA (rejected)
Columbia SPHSP (rejected)
Pitt’s PHUSP (interviewed, waitlisted, and then accepted!) committed here
Hopkins DSIP (waitlisted, withdrew)

Anyone have any insight on the last 2? There websites didn’t seem to have much info unfortunately.

Last edited:
I applied:
UMich FPHLP (interview)
UCLA (rejected)
Columbia SPHSP (crossing my fingers for good news tomorrow)
Pitt’s Public Health Program
Hopkins SIP

Anyone have any insight on the last 2? There websites didn’t seem to have much info unfortunately.
Hello! DSIP notifications should be coming out on the 13th

Last edited:
if anyone hears about columbia sphsp please let us know 😭

Members don't see this ad :)
Does no email by 5pm EST mean you were rejected? (regarding SPHSP)

• Hmm
Does anybody have any insight on how CUPS program interviews are like?

PHUSP is newest CUPS site : P I also applied and am just waiting for interview notification which is going to be sometime next week
for my FPHLP interview, they asked some scenario questions (pretty basic things), something interesting about myself that wasn't on my application, and my plans for the fall. It took maybe 10 minutes if that, so pretty easy.

for my FPHLP interview, they asked some scenario questions (pretty basic things), something interesting about myself that wasn't on my application, and my plans for the fall. It took maybe 10 minutes if that, so pretty easy.
Thank you for sharing <3

• Love
Update y’all apparently columbia started sending out notifications.

Does anybody have any insight on how CUPS program interviews are like?

PHUSP is newest CUPS site so thats why there isn't any info on their site / overall on internet : P

I also applied and am just waiting for interview notification which is going to be sometime next week but won't be suprised if its pushed back by another week just because they are a small team
Just heard back from Pitt PHUSP. Got an interview! Good luck to you:)

Does anyone know when decisions are supposed to be released this year? Or when they were released last year? I can't find any information on the website. Any insight is appreciated :)

Does anyone know when decisions are supposed to be released this year? Or when they were released last year? I can't find any information on the website. Any insight is appreciated :)
Moved your question regarding AMGEN decisions to the main summer programs thread.

Did anyone apply to NYU Rare?
Hello! I was also waitlisted at DSIP, did you accept a spot on the waitlist? Also, I applied to NYU Rare as well. Have you heard anything back? I tried to email them last week but no response. On the website though it says we would hear back by end of March so hopefully by Friday we’ll hear something.

Hello! I was also waitlisted at DSIP, did you accept a spot on the waitlist? Also, I applied to NYU Rare as well. Have you heard anything back? I tried to email them last week but no response. On the website though it says we would hear back by end of March so hopefully by Friday we’ll hear something.
DSIP notifications came out. Waitlisted 😅
Also DSIP waitlisted- yes, I accepted a spot.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I did and unfortunately I didn’t hear anything about NYU yet.

I applied:
UMich FPHLP (interview then rejected)
UCLA (rejected)
Columbia SPHSP (rejected)
Pitt’s PHUSP (interviewed, waitlisted, and then accepted!) committed here
Hopkins DSIP (waitlisted, withdrew)

Huge congratulations in getting into a program!

Final Results
UCLA, Columbia, and NYU: Rejected
JHU: Waitlisted

Looks like I’m not gonna participate in a summer program this year but it’s okay

Final Results
UCLA, Columbia, and NYU: Rejected
JHU: Waitlisted

Looks like I’m not gonna participate in a summer program this year but it’s okay
Also rejected from NYU Rare. Hopefully JHU DSIP waitlist opens up for both of us!

• Love
Can anyone who got accepted into Columbia SPHSP share what their stats and ecs were? I want to get in next year, but I’m not sure what they’re looking for.

Can anyone who got accepted into Columbia SPHSP share what their stats and ecs were? I want to get in next year, but I’m not sure what they’re looking for.
I didn't get accepted but I know a few people who did. Stats really don't matter. As long as you have a 3.0 you have a chance. It comes down to your essays, the rest of your app, and prior research experience (Columbia and even majority REUs doesn’t want someone with too much research experience).

The essays + interview hold the most weight into getting accepted.

Last edited:
Just got a call from Morehouse IMHOTEP with an acceptance! Been a long waiting period, haven't heard from them since my interview beginning of February but God always makes a way!! Congrats to everyone else as well!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users