Summer Research Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmerman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN! I am new to this forum, so forgive me if my post is redundant. I'm currently a first-year undergrad with no research experience, and I'm trying to get experience the summer after this year. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at many summer research programs, but it seems like many require previous research experience. Are there any programs that don't require previous experience? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

NIH SIP is a good one that I did. Didn't really have any prior experience. Just make sure you send in your application as soon as you can (opens somewhere between Nov and Jan, but I forget when exactly), and make sure you cold-email a lot of PIs with emails that are at least semi-personalized.

Alternatively, check with your school's premed office. They usually can tell you what previous students have done.

I did the Vanderbilt UCRIP program after my sophomore year with no prior research experience.

I solicited about 50 PIs and ended up working on a novel MRSA molecular networking interface for an assistant professor at our own med school and got an easy pub. A friend did some collaboration work the same year with a novel mass spec technique and ended up training incoming students. maybe you can look into some stuff your bio department is offering? You could also try networking with M3s and M4s who are running their own studies and are usually hungry for pub and UG assistance. YMMV and this stuff is easier if your UG has an established research climate. UCSD comes to mind.