Summer School - Emotional Suicide ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veritasboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone fathomed or survived summer school SPECIFICALLY the sciences and i'm gonna leap out and say PHYSICS (yikes). or Orgo Chem ? also known as compressing a whole year's worth of course material over 7 weeks? Is this Do-Able if we dedicated 7 weeks of our lives over a summer to face the emotional academic trauma.. ?
sounds painful doesn't it... on top of the financial setback...
please comment..

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken physics (the one focusing on electricity/magnetism/electromagnetic waves/circuits) during the summer and had no troubles. Also am currently in a human anatomy class and gleefully memorizing latin terms with barely a hint of stress.

One of my friends took "The hardest Pre-Med class on the UCLA campus" (aka Chemistry 153L aka biochem lab) over the summer and got an A+. She's a Classics major.

I say go for it.

I took Physics2 w/ lab & Chem2 w/ lab. Each was 6 weeks long, one after the other. In some ways it was a lot easier for me. Focusing on just one class, w/ relevant lab vs. 5-6 classes during a semester. I saw little difference. Leaves little room for summer fun, but if you have the discipline to study every day. then go ahead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well well... this is very reassuring to know .. because 5-6 classes a term is tough enough on its own .. but to use summer school as an opportunity to focus on Just one Subject like Physics.. is alright and totally do-able then..
QUESTION: Are summer courses miserable when it comes to being graded vs. during regular school terms? As you can tell i worry about it affecting my 3.7cGPA. Did any of you worry about summer school bruising your BCPM or cGPA at all .. ? or am i asking wayy too much out of paranoia.. probably the latter..

Veritasboy said:
Well well... this is very reassuring to know .. because 5-6 classes a term is tough enough on its own .. but to use summer school as an opportunity to focus on Just one Subject like Physics.. is alright and totally do-able then..
QUESTION: Are summer courses miserable when it comes to being graded vs. during regular school terms? As you can tell i worry about it affecting my 3.7cGPA. Did any of you worry about summer school bruising your BCPM or cGPA at all .. ? or am i asking wayy too much out of paranoia.. probably the latter..

Just got a B in Physics I over the summer, which has made a dent in my GPA, but I blame that mostly on the professor who looks like he had something to prove. I believe only one person actually recieved a 4.0 in that class. However, Physics II, which I'm in currently, seems much more doable to pull together an A... Prof is more accessible and presents the material in a much more understandable light. Quizzes are much more fair too. Also, there's the matter of his end of the semester curve....

I say be wary of summer classes and definitely trust ratemyprofessor.com. I chose to ignore it for my Physics I prof, and look where it landed me. Thankfully that's only my second (maybe my last? haha) B of my undergraduate career thus far, and that's out of 60 or so credits, so I think things will work out for me.

Veritasboy said:

Sorry, should have specified. Our school has Chem and Physics with mandatory simultaneous labs, so I'm counting them as a separate class. Otherwise it would be 3-4 classes. Our grading is the same in summer as during regular semester, but less pop quizzes. The only problem is because you're cramming MCAT study material, you don't reatain info for as long. So I had to later go back and go over my lecture notes. Unless you're taking it right before MCAT.

I don't know how much this answers your questions.... but, i ended up needed to take physics 2 after graduation. i'm taking it right now as summer/night school before i start med school i the fall. it's really easy, but i don't know whether it's because i've already hda the material or bc/it's at a community college (or some combination thereof). however, it's fine as far as schools are concerned and it's really easy (to me) being the only class i'm taking. i'm not in school anymore, but i teach MCAT classes and spend enough time prepping for lessons that i feel like a student in other subjects too! it's up to you as far as how much you can handle at once. however, you should cover "the bigees" for the MCAT without any trouble.

Is it really a year's worth of info? For my school, it was only a semester's worth into two months or so. That being said, you can definately handle two classes at once if that's what you mean. I actually think that summer classes are easier than regular ones since you have much more time to study and you compete with some of the bad students that need to retake those classes.

This really clears up things in my mind.. as far as summer school is concerned.. and i'm planning to do it @ harvard's summer school next year.. but the $ fees being charged are ridiculous (personal opinion) .. but it's just the Physics course material seems laid out in the MOSt user friendly manner.. :) guess i better look around for the best fees on offer for summer school physics.. ..

I'm taking Biochemistry at UC Riverside as a summer session course right now. It's frickin' easy, which may have something to do with the fact that I'm taking it at UCR.

jeffsleepy said:
Is it really a year's worth of info? For my school, it was only a semester's worth into two months or so. That being said, you can definately handle two classes at once if that's what you mean. I actually think that summer classes are easier than regular ones since you have much more time to study and you compete with some of the bad students that need to retake those classes.

Some places offer the full year's worth of info in 7-8 weeks, and it is certainly not easier or for bad students (they don't tend to pass compressed courses like this). Very intense, and yes you go through the whole book without skipping anything, and take tests comparable to two semesters worth (but the tests tend to be weekly rather than monthly). If you fall behind or need extra help you are screwed - there is no way to slow things down. But it does let you get immersed in the material, and if you can stay afloat, it's over quick (like ripping off a band-aid). But you have to really be willing to give up your entire summer to the course, because you won't have time for anything else and still expect to do well.

Veritasboy said:
Has anyone fathomed or survived summer school SPECIFICALLY the sciences and i'm gonna leap out and say PHYSICS (yikes). or Orgo Chem ? also known as compressing a whole year's worth of course material over 7 weeks? Is this Do-Able if we dedicated 7 weeks of our lives over a summer to face the emotional academic trauma.. ?
please comment..
Hey last summer I took two semesters of orgo chem (and lab) at the same time as i was studying for the MCAT (my final in Orgo II was two days before the MCAT), doing applications, shadowing a physician and doing volunteer work. It's torture but doable. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
ppl say doable, of course its doable. you do it in college. holy crap does it suck though.seriously when all your friends are playing or chilling you are studying. it gets in the way of your work schedule. its just bad. if you can avoid it, i recommend avoiding it. i took physics I and im about to start physics II. my summer vacation consists of the the 4 days between physics I and II. you dont even have to ask how annoyed I am.

Psycho Doctor said:
Hey last summer I took two semesters of orgo chem (and lab) at the same time as i was studying for the MCAT (my final in Orgo II was two days before the MCAT), doing applications, shadowing a physician and doing volunteer work. It's torture but doable. :D

I will have to take orgo and physics over the summer or I will have to delay graduation an entire yea :oops: . It's good to know that it can be done. It's six weeks, so I will just do what I need to do.

I usually take humanities over the summer, so I guess next summer will be very interesting.... ;)

Veritasboy said:
please comment..

I'm currently taking O-Chem II (3wks left :)) and I'm finding it easier than O-Chem I. At my school it's offered in a 12 wk summer period and we have a great professor so it's not bad. I'd say it's completely do-able as long as the prof is good.

Summer school with hard courses isn't very possible if you also work. It'll take up all of your time. Even if it's just one class. I'd love to go to summer school, but can't afford to not work all summer.

Physics over the summer is supposed to be really easy at my school, but I could also seeing it be difficult if the prof wants to make it that way. I would talk to students at your school about it. I would probably not want to take orgo over the summer though, that's a lot of info to learn over a summer.

Veritasboy said:
please comment..
I took the whole year of o-chem, plus p-chem, plus prepared for the MCAT that August. Don't sweat it.

thirdunity said:
Summer school with hard courses isn't very possible if you also work. It'll take up all of your time. Even if it's just one class. I'd love to go to summer school, but can't afford to not work all summer.
Yeah, I'm afraid of this. This summer I'm pulling 40 hours a week in a lab, and I don't want to have to cut back to less than 20 next summer. So this is my schedule for the next three terms:

Orgo I / Bio I / Musicology
Orgo II / Physics I / Neurobiology of Drugs and Addiction
Genetics / Animal Phys / Physics II / Another course

Can't say I'm a big fan of that.

I took Physics 1 and 2 over the Summer a few years ago. I had class Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 6:00 - 8:30. I finished Physics I and did well in it, but I dropped Physics II since I just couldn't take it anymore.
I should add that I also worked every day from 8-5 and occasionally on the weekend. Without the work it would have been perfectly doable.

hardy said:
I took Physics 1 and 2 over the Summer a few years ago. I had class Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 6:00 - 8:30. I finished Physics I and did well in it, but I dropped Physics II since I just couldn't take it anymore.
I should add that I also worked every day from 8-5 and occasionally on the weekend. Without the work it would have been perfectly doable.

That's actually a much lighter course schedule than some summer compressed physics classes. Lots of places have somewhere in the ballpark of 20+ hours of "in class" time (exclusive of studying and homework time) per week when two semester's courses are squeezed into 7 weeks. Especially if you have labs. In such a case I would guess you couldn't work more than a light part time gig.

Law2Doc said:
That's actually a much lighter course schedule than some summer compressed physics classes. Lots of places have somewhere in the ballpark of 20+ hours of "in class" time (exclusive of studying and homework time) per week when two semester's courses are squeezed into 7 weeks. Especially if you have labs.

Our school's summer term is 12 weeks and there are several sessions. Depends whether your school operates under the semester/quarter system and when your spring term is over.

I took a full year of Latin at Harvard Summer School back in the early 90s. Probably my favorite class at Harvard. Plus the grading was relatively early (this was before inflation).

With so much info on Summer school for from our SDN'ers It's undoubtedly doable for someone .. that is able to dedicate a whole summer to phys or Orgo Chem. I wont write the MCAT's till i've done so ..
My only qualm becomes.. having my cGPA squashed because of summer school. we all know how hard we work to keep our GPA afloat past a certain level... Is grade inflation or being marked on a curve quite prevalent in summer schools .. ? my aim's really a summer @ harvard or yale of PHYS and ORGO CHEM .. irrespective of the hideous fees they charge :)

I'm taking OChem (lab only) over this summer... it's an 8 week session, lab is 3 hours a day M-Th. I'm working 20 hrs a week in my other lab (not paid) and 12-20 hours at my paid job. It blows, but it is doable. I was happy to learn that the curve for this class is sweet! (Way better than OChem lecture, I must say). So while it has been a lot of work, I've not needed to be ultra-obsessive about it.

WOW, DARKSIDE I totally didn't know you could take the LABS totally SEPERATELY from the Lectures.. i thought we HAD to take them both or register for both simultaneously. Phew ! another relief but hats off to you darkside for being able to juggle so much.. work, unpaid work , academic work ..:) especially over a summer.. :)

I just took a 5 week session of O-chem 1 and I studied about 5 hours a day... so it was kinda like hell (got a A-). But I am studying even more for Orgo 2 because it seems alot more complicated. So it isn't all that bad.. but if you were to take the lab... then I might kill myself.

Veritasboy said:
WOW, DARKSIDE I totally didn't know you could take the LABS totally SEPERATELY from the Lectures.. i thought we HAD to take them both or register for both simultaneously. Phew ! another relief but hats off to you darkside for being able to juggle so much.. work, unpaid work , academic work ..:) especially over a summer.. :)

Yeah, my school is weird that way for OChem. For everything else you had to take lab and lecture simultaneously, but for OChem we have Lecture I (3 cr), Lecture II (3 cr), and Lab (2 cr). To take the lab you need to have finished or be concurrently registered in Lecture II. My understanding is that this isn't necessarily the case at other schools. I'm glad they did it this way because I simply could not fit the lab in during the semester I took Lecture II.

Veritasboy said:
please comment..

Last summer, I took OChem I, OChem I lab, OChem II, and OChem II lab over the course of 12 weeks (and a course in Buddhism, Yoga and Medditation ~ needed something to balance off orgo I). It was incredibly intense, but it was really nice having to focus on only two courses at a time and not 5 or 6. It actually helped out my science GPA a lot (though my science GPA was pretty sad at the time ~3.2). I might have been lucky though, the professors were amazing. Orgo and physics have both been my favorite science classes so far (and yes I am nuts!!! haha) although i did enjoy biochem too. (well, at my school, the third semester of the introductory bio sequence is half biochem and the second half physiology ~ so it wasn't a real full blown biochem course, sort of more of an intro, but it was still facinating what we covered).

Good luck with all of your work.

TheDarkSide said:
Yeah, my school is weird that way for OChem. For everything else you had to take lab and lecture simultaneously, but for OChem we have Lecture I (3 cr), Lecture II (3 cr), and Lab (2 cr). To take the lab you need to have finished or be concurrently registered in Lecture II. My understanding is that this isn't necessarily the case at other schools. I'm glad they did it this way because I simply could not fit the lab in during the semester I took Lecture II.

that's the way it works at my school too, just one semester of orgo lab, but I where I went for summer school, Ochem I and Ochem II had separate labs worth .5 cr each (at this school, classes are worth either 1 cr or .5 cr, where 1 cr = 4 cr at most other schools)

though it's nice taking lab over the summer, at least there are no lab lectures to attend over the summer, like during the school year. and no lab midterms and finals! :)

I took calc III over the summer, I found that I forgot what I learned a little bit more quickly. But I thought it was easier than taking it during the semester because I could focus all of my effort into one class and still have some time for some fun.

Took Orgo I & II during summer- best decision I ever made. No distractions like normal school year, focus on only one subject, and despite what most people say, if you keep up and don't slack off, its NOT too fast. You will have plenty of free time even despite taking such a tough class.

I took an intense biochem course in summer school. Three hour lectures with a German prof twice a week for a month. The only thing I learned was that Hydrogen in German is called "wasserstoff," which in English is translated as "waterstuff." Those crazy Germans!!!

I took Ochem I and Genetics this summer. I also took anatomy/physiology 1 and 2 with labs one summer.

My friend took anatomy and o-chem over the summer, she called it Gpa Homicide..lol..im taking Psychology right now, pretty easy (still in hs though)

Veritasboy said:
With so much info on Summer school for from our SDN'ers It's undoubtedly doable for someone .. that is able to dedicate a whole summer to phys or Orgo Chem. I wont write the MCAT's till i've done so ..
My only qualm becomes.. having my cGPA squashed because of summer school. we all know how hard we work to keep our GPA afloat past a certain level... Is grade inflation or being marked on a curve quite prevalent in summer schools .. ? my aim's really a summer @ harvard or yale of PHYS and ORGO CHEM .. irrespective of the hideous fees they charge :)

why are you so adamant about taking courses at hypms? I mean taking classes at those places will not give you that much of an edge.

Veritasboy said:

Dude- if you're already beating out the kids at harvard to get a 3.7, why would you worry about beating out the kids at harvard summer school (not all harvard kids)? Taking condensed summer classes is hard and annoying, because the material is tough to get a handle on that quickly, but it's no harder to get an A in them than any other classes during the year, right? Don't you just have to beat out the rest of the class? And aren't you already doing that every other semester?
Take the class- they are so nice to be done with quickly.

UNFROZENCAVEMAN, nice user name by the way mate, You're ALL TOTALLY RIGHT.. :) i am going to get ORGO and PHYS out of the way .. oh .. by the way .. guys.. I do have to ask you all of this..If you get to pick Any College in the US for summer school sciences.. Where'd all you choose to do it.. And please don't say harvard summer school.. as that's already totalling upto 5K over 8 weeks haha.. brutal.. wait till my parents hear of this bill haha.. but would you all tell me or at least .. pick out any personal faves that you might have.. to do summer school in .. ? Gosh I SO LOVE this Board.. I need to get life and all .. true dat.. :) but still it's so so good a feeling to get all these POSITIVE responses that doing this all in my head before making an A** of myself in front of my college counsellors.. :)

I took a summer class once. Yes, indeed.

Veritasboy said:
please comment..
ahhhh meg at cool! anyway, i did 2 histories and 2 govts one summer, it was good. actually history sucks but govt was great. doing some business and eco this summer, fantastic. get out of that science nerd area and you will be fine. haha really though, it should be ok if you spend a lot of time studying outside of class. probably dont set any other commitments. remember that you will be in the same boat as your classmates, so just do better than them=OK unless your prof is an uncurving bastard. financial setback? come on, moneys meant to be spent, and what better to spend it on than education, besides investing. heheh but yeah, there are always low cost loans for students if needed.

willthatsall said:
Physics over the summer is supposed to be really easy at my school, but I could also seeing it be difficult if the prof wants to make it that way. I would talk to students at your school about it. I would probably not want to take orgo over the summer though, that's a lot of info to learn over a summer.
yea but you don't have to remember it for very long :D

I'm amazed so many people took summer courses.

How often did you do this and what was the reason?

I only did it the summer before senior year and it was b/c I switched from engineering to neurobiology and had to catch up on some required courses.

Psycho Doctor said:

I only did it the summer before senior year and it was b/c I switched from engineering to neurobiology and had to catch up on some required courses.

I took summer classes three out of my four summers as an undergrad, mostly because I was in the dual degree program at my school and needed about 200 hours to graduate, so I needed all the credits I could get.

I was an English/Psychology double major, and started taking my pre-med pre-reqs my senior year. I did OChem I and OChem II, as well as Physics I and Physics II, and Physics I Lab and Physics II Lab one summer. My school has two five week sessions, and I was in class from 10:15-12:15 for my OChem classes five days a week, and then had Physics lectures from 12:30-2:30 every day as well. Physics Labs were three days a week from 2:45-5 pm, and I had this same schedule for the entire 10 weeks. I got an A- in my first OChem class, and then A's in everything else, and let me stress that I was NOT a science major and had never had any exposure to these classes before.

I got 14 hours of credit that summer, and I think that it was a lot easier than taking the classes over an entire year. You got to concentrate exclusively on one or two things at a time, so you were so immersed in the subject that there was no way you could forget any of the things you had learned. I took MCAT that August too, and all my orgo stuff was so fresh in my mind, even though not a lot of it was on my test form!

I had both good and bad teachers that summer session, but found that the teachers were more forgiving about grades. I think one test was dropped in my Physics Classes, and the teacher had a curve where the top 10 percent of the class got A's, the next 10% got B's etc. So I think it was more advantageous to take it in the summer.

I also took some classes I didn't want to have to suffer through for a whole semester during the summer, to get them out of the way, like my Math requirement or my Speech requirement. I also did an Art Appreciation class and a Psychology class for my major over the summer. I kind of wished all classes were taught in an intensive five or 10 week session throught the year, instead of having an entire semester's worth of five or six classes.

And like TheDarkSide, my school let you take the OChem lab separately, which was great for me because I didn't have any room in my schedule for it the summer I took the lectures (In class from 10ish to 5 p.m. most days). I took it the spring semester after I had taken the lectures the previous summer, and didn't have any problems with it.

Truly, I'm not a Science..major myself, But after reading MustangSally's words in action.. truly its manageable.. and doesn't seem so daunting .. well It's Totally Shocked me.. that So many students have had summer experiences.. PHENOMENAL and wayy too interesting.. Well im going to use my brains.. and attack Physics and ORGO Chem.. Over a summer.. :) that should get me ALL SET for the MCAT's :) just in time.. for the august sitting.. :) Cheers, SDN'ers you guys ROCK !

Psycho Doctor said:

I am doing it because my work schedule is not too good. The first time I took summer classes I did it because I worked 50 plus hours a week. I was in a sticky living arrangemnet and needed my own place. School took a backseat that semester and I went to summer school to catch up a little.

This is my second year of taking summer classes and I will do it next year too if my schedule allows.

I am not a fan of the humanities and I honestly would rather pick my eyelashes out one by one than sit through a humanities class an entire semester. :p

Veritasboy said:
please comment..

Im in the process of taking organic I&II this summer. I will stress this, it can be done succesfully but you will eat, sleep, and breath, the stuff. Otherwise don't count on getting a good grade. In my expirience with organic, you spend so much time memorizing that you dont get enough time to practice things you may understand but take practice in order to be efficient at accomplishing. This will hurt you but its better than the alternative of not memorizing everything and just practicing a few basic things. Again i suppose this differs based on what your teacher expects of you.

If i had to do it over again I would have waited and taken it in the school year, its hard be in the top of the class when you are seeing the material for the first time and the majority of the other students in the class are retaking the course because they didnt like the outcome the first time they took it.

It is nice finishing it though.

Law2Doc said:
Some places offer the full year's worth of info in 7-8 weeks, and it is certainly not easier or for bad students (they don't tend to pass compressed courses like this). Very intense, and yes you go through the whole book without skipping anything, and take tests comparable to two semesters worth (but the tests tend to be weekly rather than monthly). If you fall behind or need extra help you are screwed - there is no way to slow things down. But it does let you get immersed in the material, and if you can stay afloat, it's over quick (like ripping off a band-aid). But you have to really be willing to give up your entire summer to the course, because you won't have time for anything else and still expect to do well.

Exactly.
Count on no life if you go through all the material in the book and the teacher expects a weekly performance on par with the monthly performance of students who take it during the traditional school year.