Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate OT 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck!
Thanks! I actually called that number on Friday hoping it would lead me to the OT department and no one answered. No one answered today as well =(

Members don't see this ad.

My packet came today. I was placed on the alternate list.
:(

Got my packet today. I was placed on the alternate list too...don't really know what to do

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I received my packet today and was also placed on the alternate list. That means that I am basically starting from square one, but am still hopeful to hear something before the start of classes. Does anyone know how to best strengthen a resume given that we only have 6 months until the next round of applications in November. That is going to sneak up on us and I want to be prepared. I was thinking searching for a rehab setting or just searching for a new setting i never really knew existed. Keep on pushing forward!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I received my packet today and was also placed on the alternate list. That means that I am basically starting from square one, but am still hopeful to hear something before the start of classes. Does anyone know how to best strengthen a resume given that we only have 6 months until the next round of applications in November. That is going to sneak up on us and I want to be prepared. I was thinking searching for a rehab setting or just searching for a new setting i never really knew existed. Keep on pushing forward!
Hey I hope you get in and don't have to reapply! But if it doesn't happen, I think that getting lots of observation hours in a variety of settings is the way to go. Also, if SUNY Downstate is your first choice, maybe contact them and ask them how you can improve your application for the next round.

Thank you @ShaRi and @karixel ! Sounds to me like to get in the first time around you have to have been working in an OT/rehab setting for years and years and years. Oh well there is always a chance we get accepted off the alternate list! Are you all planning a strategy for next year just in case? I am planning to take my GREs ti improve my chances and expand on schools.

Thank you @ShaRi and @karixel ! Sounds to me like to get in the first time around you have to have been working in an OT/rehab setting for years and years and years. Oh well there is always a chance we get accepted off the alternate list! Are you all planning a strategy for next year just in case? I am planning to take my GREs ti improve my chances and expand on schools.
Those sound like good ideas. I would also like to take the GRE's, perhaps volunteer at another site, and also apply to another school. I think the chance of getting accepted off the alternate this year is slim.

Congrats to those of you who got in!
My interview was also at the end of January, but my application status hasn't changed yet; it's still "submitted." Anyone else?

Congrats to those of you who got in!
My interview was also at the end of January, but my application status hasn't changed yet; it's still "submitted." Anyone else?
Perhaps call the office.

anyone that was placed on the wait list, has your checklist been updated to include a deposit as a requirement? strange

anyone that was placed on the wait list, has your checklist been updated to include a deposit as a requirement? strange
Could it mean a spot opened for you?! Is there an active link for you to access their payment system?

I'm also on the alternate list and the deposit as a requirement has been on my checklist for about 3 weeks even though I only received my official letter a few days ago. When I spoke to the school about this they told me that there is no distinction on the checklist between accepted and alternate students, but I would double check with the school if I was you - if it wasn't listed for you before maybe a spot did open up!

Also, are any other alternates going forward and sending in all of the health forms? I just received them a few days ago and it says that the deadline for them to be received is 30 days prior to registration, which is June 2nd. If I'm understanding this correctly we need all these forms back in the schools hands by the end of this week? I was able to get a Doctors appointment for next week but by the time the forms arrive by mail at the school this will certainly be past the deadline. Do any other alternates currently have the same dilemma?

I'm also on the alternate list and the deposit as a requirement has been on my checklist for about 3 weeks even though I only received my official letter a few days ago. When I spoke to the school about this they told me that there is no distinction on the checklist between accepted and alternate students, but I would double check with the school if I was you - if it wasn't listed for you before maybe a spot did open up!

Also, are any other alternates going forward and sending in all of the health forms? I just received them a few days ago and it says that the deadline for them to be received is 30 days prior to registration, which is June 2nd. If I'm understanding this correctly we need all these forms back in the schools hands by the end of this week? I was able to get a Doctors appointment for next week but by the time the forms arrive by mail at the school this will certainly be past the deadline. Do any other alternates currently have the same dilemma?
They sent the notices out late. I'm sure they will understand that you cannot get it to them by that date. just let them knew where you are at.

has anyone placed on the alternate list heard anything yet? Don't give up on this thread, we can all help each other through this transitionary period!!!

I haven't heard anything new. I believe they will email if a slot opens in the next two weeks, or call day of orientation if someone doesn't show up.
I'm still hoping! (But obviously planning my life as though it's not gonna happen this year)

Hey everyone! Long time no speak- I got a rejection from Downstate. Kind of rude making us wait months for a rejection and getting my hopes up! Luckily I got into another program which seems to be a better fit for me anyway. Wishing you all much success and luck which ever program you attend!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I will be applying to Downstate for admittance for next year and was wondering if any one has visited the school? I can't make any of their info sessions and I keep trying to email/call to set up a meeting to talk to someone about the program. Do you all think it is very important to visit the program? Anything that truly stands out when compared to other programs (ex: NYU, Columbia)? Thanks!