SUNY Optometry vs PCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M101B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to PCO and SUNY. I cant decide which to go to. I like the area that SUNY is in better, and I know their clinic has a more diverse patient base and they have newer equipment, but PCO starts clinicals sooner. Can anyone give me advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Search the forum of pre-Optometry. Quite a few students share their opinions on the schools there.

Members don't see this ad :)
good,Search the forum of pre-Optometry. Quite a few students share their opinions on the schools there.
JM1IkP

do NOT go to PCO. I am third year student so i can give you a good insight. The administration....where do I start...is the worst i have ever seen. They are very unprofessional and unorganized (everyone will agree on this). The clinic skills lab (bunch of cranky old women with major power trip issues) do not give a rat's a$$ about students, you pretty much have to teach yourself. The equipments are crappy and nothing like the ones you use in clinic. You will question, as we all do as soon as you start here, where does this $32,000++ you are paying towards this crappy school going to. To this day: we have no answer. Recently they are all of a sudden wanting us to get bunch of requirements (like titers) and they "secretly" took away money from our tuition to have a program that "tracts" that we fulfill our requirements, so thats like 500+ just out of pocket from students who barely have money to pay for food. Mind you, PCO is the first school implementing this and we (class of 2016) are the first class subjected to this nonsense, even though we are leaving for rotation in few months.
A lot of people go for this school based on the fact that we start clinic early...but let me tell you our board scores...its horrible. Is starting clinic few months early really worth board score? Besides in clinic, yes there are some good preceptors who want to teach and actually cares about the students, but most of the time you are going to feel like a nonpaid-abused (yes abused)-secretaries for pompous pricks (the so called suit chiefs...).
All in all: do your self a favor and go to SUNY, they are more respected than PCO and you wont flush your $$ down the toilet. You are more likely to pass boards and not come out bitter like we are now.

I already have a line when they call me for donation after I graduate: "F#$% OFF"