Super Random Application Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cecetot

Reaction score
Hello and good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

1) If I was at a small mom and pop clinic (one vet) and worked as receptionist, but would also go to the back to help when needed for holding animals, etc, how would I classify that? I was always within ear shot of the vet (that’s how small
it was) and of course asked him questions when clients would leave messages about certain cases or prescriptions.

2) Whats everyone’s experience with the CASPER exam? Any advice on preparation beforehand? I know it’s not like the GRE where you really “study” for any thing but any advice is appreciated!

3) For science GPA which classes are considered? I did a rough calculation and only included classes that were bio, chem, and math. Do conservation classes count too?

4) If I am in the progress of trying to get a scientific paper published, but it won’t be published by the time applications are due, is there an appropriate section/way to write that? Like an anticipation?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I can’t answer all of your questions but #1 is still vet experience.

For #4, is the paper still being written, submitted, accepted, or what? If it’s accepted but just hasn’t come out yet, it’s fine to list it and put “accepted for publication in JAVMA” at the end. If it’s been submitted somewhere and you’re still waiting to hear back then I’d do the same….list it and put “under review with JAVMA”. If you’re still writing it, I think it’s still okay to put it and clarify “manuscript under preparation” (and on my own CV after residency I would put ‘under preparation, target journal JVIM’ or whatever) but it would look better imo if it’s at least submitted…anyone can claim they’re writing a paper but having it submitted/accepted is a much bigger accomplishment.

Reactions: 1 user
I can’t answer all of your questions but #1 is still vet experience.

For #4, is the paper still being written, submitted, accepted, or what? If it’s accepted but just hasn’t come out yet, it’s fine to list it and put “accepted for publication in JAVMA” at the end. If it’s been submitted somewhere and you’re still waiting to hear back then I’d do the same….list it and put “under review with JAVMA”. If you’re still writing it, I think it’s still okay to put it and clarify “manuscript under preparation” (and on my own CV after residency I would put ‘under preparation, target journal JVIM’ or whatever) but it would look better imo if it’s at least submitted…anyone can claim they’re writing a paper but having it submitted/accepted is a much bigger accomplishment.
That was really well put thank you! That makes total sense. It’s currently being written! Not in submission just yet. Along with this, I helped proofread a paper that was published for a PhD candidate as English isn’t their first language, and I am mentioned in the acknowledgments. Is this worth stating as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
That was really well put thank you! That makes total sense. It’s currently being written! Not in submission just yet. Along with this, I helped proofread a paper that was published for a PhD candidate as English isn’t their first language, and I am mentioned in the acknowledgments. Is this worth stating as well?
I probably wouldn’t bother to list that one. You’re a good person for doing it and it’s nice they acknowledged you, but I don’t think it’s really a notable accomplishment (no offense meant).

Reactions: 1 users
For the CASPer I didn't really study beforehand, there's not much prep you can do for it. The website does have some practice questions which I would encourage you to do to familiarize yourself with the format, and reading sample answers to show what kind of answers are expected. But there isn't much you can or need to do to prepare for it.

For the CASPer I didn't really study beforehand, there's not much prep you can do for it. The website does have some practice questions which I would encourage you to do to familiarize yourself with the format, and reading sample answers to show what kind of answers are expected. But there isn't much you can or need to do to prepare for it.
Thank you so much!!

I probably wouldn’t bother to list that one. You’re a good person for doing it and it’s nice they acknowledged you, but I don’t think it’s really a notable accomplishment (no offense meant).
Thanks so much for that! Noted :)

Hi! Here's the list I've been using to calculate my science GPA, it's weird that math isn't included in it but it's the VMCAS website so I trust it

Hello and good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

1) If I was at a small mom and pop clinic (one vet) and worked as receptionist, but would also go to the back to help when needed for holding animals, etc, how would I classify that? I was always within ear shot of the vet (that’s how small
it was) and of course asked him questions when clients would leave messages about certain cases or prescriptions.

2) Whats everyone’s experience with the CASPER exam? Any advice on preparation beforehand? I know it’s not like the GRE where you really “study” for any thing but any advice is appreciated!

3) For science GPA which classes are considered? I did a rough calculation and only included classes that were bio, chem, and math. Do conservation classes count too?

4) If I am in the progress of trying to get a scientific paper published, but it won’t be published by the time applications are due, is there an appropriate section/way to write that? Like an anticipation?

Thank you!!
1) Veterinary Assistant/Veterinary Receptionist I would classify under vet experience