surg rotation in FM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsarah04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on what an FM resident should hope to get out of a surgery rotation during their residency.
I interviewed at a program that I LOVED but the one red flag was that the FM residents just manage the surg pts. on the floor--they very rarely set foot in the OR (ie. this sounds more like a SICU rotation). The residents all said that it's better to learn the medicine involved in managing these pts. on the floor, since it's useless to endure a long procedure just for a shot at closing (what FP does colon resections anyway). I agree with this, but I like short procedures, and also feel I should have some understanding of surgical techniques so I can calm my pts.' fears of how their illness might be treated if I refer them to a surgeon. I also want to practice international/wilderness med when I finish residency and need a working knowledge of a broad area of medicine.
So is this something that should strongly weigh in my decision of where to rank this program? Should an FM resident expect to be in the OR doing surgeries all the time? I interviewed at several (even opposed) programs where the FM interns were treated equally to surg interns, thereby helping the surg program adhere to the 80-hr week--a win-win situation. But no program is perfect and if this is the one "imperfection" at this particular place, I don't think that's a bad track record. As for OB volume, elective time, resident happiness, etc., they're exactly what I want. This is an opposed residency by the way--I got the impression part of the reason FM residents manage the surg pts. the way they do is to cultivate a good rapport b/w the FM and surg depts. (FM runs the show in other areas though.)
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I would hope a resident would be first assist; as a third-year I was first assist during my surgery rotation for most procedures. (That was with a private attending, though.) After residency I plan to be first assist for my patients undergoing choles and stuff.