Surgery --> IM/EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenphilly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
love surgery, especially trauma, CT, transplant and ICU management. but having just finished my EM and IM sub-i rotations, and enjoyed both (especially the cardiac pts) I realized I don't have to do surgery. besides my back and knees already ache from working out so much. so being a Critical care physician or cardiologist wouldn't be all that bad. Thinking real hard about a career switch.

bottom line, love both EM and IM. I'm just wondering how competitive is it to get into a combined program? After doing a prelim surgery year would it be difficult to match into one?

Also the Freida website lists that only certain programs are accepting applications for 2008-2009 year. Does this mean that some programs with EM/IM don't enter the match every year?

If anyone could give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. PM or post a reply. thanks everyone!

-chickenphilly

Members don't see this ad.

Liking 2 fields and not wanting to choose between them is really a bad reason for doing a combined residency. If that's the case, the conventional wisdom is that you WILL eventually choose--if not by defecting to a categorial program during residency, then once you become an attending. I am not in IM/EM...I am going into a different combined field...but I found that programs are very aware of the high attrition rate from combined programs of all types (into a categorical program), and don't want to see it happen in their own program. Thus many PDs are looking for applicants who have a really good reason for wanting to do combined training, and can articulate it. "I liked surgery, but now I like both EM and IM" will probably not be compelling enough for a lot of PDs. However, if you have a specific career goal and can show how IM/EM will BEST prepare you for that career, go for it.

Liking 2 fields and not wanting to choose between them is really a bad reason for doing a combined residency. If that's the case, the conventional wisdom is that you WILL eventually choose--if not by defecting to a categorial program during residency, then once you become an attending. I am not in IM/EM...I am going into a different combined field...but I found that programs are very aware of the high attrition rate from combined programs of all types (into a categorical program), and don't want to see it happen in their own program. Thus many PDs are looking for applicants who have a really good reason for wanting to do combined training, and can articulate it. "I liked surgery, but now I like both EM and IM" will probably not be compelling enough for a lot of PDs. However, if you have a specific career goal and can show how IM/EM will BEST prepare you for that career, go for it.

Agree with above. All the EMIM programs do accept applications through ERAS and the match, though now you will likely have to wait till 2009-10

Members don't see this ad :)
Several of the EMIM programs specifically mention that they do not accept applicants with prior training. That being said, I would imagine that a surgical intern would be looked on favorably by most of the programs.

The obstacle you will have to face is the question "Why?" I found that EMIM interviews revolved around that question, and for someone switching from Surgery you will have to overcome the perception of being someone who is perpetually dissatisfied.

Best of luck.

Agree with the comments suggesting you'd benefit from carefully considering what you want to do, and why.

That said, if I were your position, I'd look at one of the great EM 2/3/4 programs out there. You could transition into one of those without having any conversation on "switching fields."

To get the IM/CC piece, I'd look for a CC fellowship that takes EM grads. Presto, EM, IM/CC, no "career switch" explanation needed.

Several of the EMIM programs specifically mention that they do not accept applicants with prior training. That being said, I would imagine that a surgical intern would be looked on favorably by most of the programs.

The obstacle you will have to face is the question "Why?" I found that EMIM interviews revolved around that question, and for someone switching from Surgery you will have to overcome the perception of being someone who is perpetually dissatisfied.

Best of luck.

I think there is also the issue of Medicare funding