Sweden: criteria for plastic surgery residency admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdfra6

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, I know that’s a bit repetitive topic, but I didn’t find the precise infos that i’m searching to.
I am 5th year medicine student and I would like to apply in 2 years to a surgical residency program in sweden, i am particularly interested in plastic and reconstructive surgery and oro-maxillo-facial surgery. I’m studying the language and my goal is to achieve a C1 lvl as soon as possible.
I know that the residency program selection is done by curriculum and by interview.
So my question is what are the criteria that must be fulfilled to be elegible? Scientific papers/ ambulatory experience/ hours spent in surgical room/ PhD?
Thank you for the patience

Members don't see this ad.

For plastics you’ll likely need 3-5 years of residency in a surgical specialty.
For omfs you have to be a dentist as well.

For plastics you’ll likely need 3-5 years of residency in a surgical specialty.
For omfs you have to be a dentist as well.
Thank you for the answer, I didn’t know about omf (in my country you can apply to it even if you are not a dentist).
Which is the specialty that once I apply to it, gives me the higher chance to get a spot in plastic?
More specifically, which is the other surgical residency program that have the most common objectives with plastic?
And to get a “vikariat” contract in this field, there are some others prerequisites that are needed to get it ?

I think you might not understand how the system here works. What you need to do is to get stitching experience and prove that you’re a kind and social person that would be appreciated as a colleague. You need someone to vouch for you, especially as you’ll be a foreigner to the Swedish medical system.
Also, if you’re the same person I replied to earlier, you really have to understand that there’s so few plastics spots that it’s really really improbable that you’ll get one. Go ahead and apply, of course, but don’t be disappointed if you have to go with plan B.