Switching from nursing to pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruby89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little background story... I completed a bachelors degree in art history 2 years ago, but soon after decided that I wanted to go into a healthcare profession. I looked into pharmacy and nursing and found that nursing was easier to get into. I worried at the time that my undergrad GPA wouldn't even be competitive enough for nursing (3.0). I had A's in all the pre-reqs though (this was not figured into my undergrad GPA).

Fast forward a year... I got accepted into a BSN program and completed the first year. I excelled in the school work (all A's), but struggled in clinical. Even though I still received A's in my clinical, the grades did not reflect how much clinical emotionally drained me. I was miserable and depressed. I knew that I could have been a nurse, but I did not want to be a nurse. As I quit nursing over the summer I reflected back on my initial desire to become a pharmacist. I became saddened by the prospect of never using any of the knowledge I acquired. I loved the science and math pre-reqs I took for nursing. Through taking these courses, I felt confident in my decision to enter a healthcare profession. I loved patho and pharm while in nursing school, however, I soon realized that it was a mere fraction of what a nurses really need to learn. We were never tested on empirical knowledge. It was this weird subjective form of knowledge. Nonetheless, I managed because I'm a good test taker.

I hated patient interaction. I hated cleaning patients up and inserting things. I can put on a happy face and feign congeniality, but I don't want to become an actor for the rest of my life. I wanted something more. My introversion was challenged in nursing, not my brain. I eventually got comfortable interacting with patients and felt that I at least gained social skills from nursing.

Anyway, I have a few questions. Is pharmacy a good career fit for an introvert? From what I've been reading, retail pharmacy seems to require a high level of social interaction. Does pharmacy, however, require anywhere near the amount of patient interaction nursing requires?

Will my year of nursing school look bad, good, or indifferent on a pharmacy school application? Will it count towards experience in the healthcare field? Will I be questioned as to why I didn't stick with something and complete it?

Will a 3.0 undergrad GPA hinder my chances? I have around 60 credits outside of that GPA that are all A's. I will also have to take around 50 more credit hours of pharmacy pre-reqs. Also, I'm worried about having to retake a chem class and how that will look on my application. I took said chem class my first year of undergrad as a theatre major (no wonder why I didn't care about the C- I received...).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your story is similar to mine.

I majored in chemistry when i started undergraduate because I wanted to be a pharmacist. But then, I didn't think i was ready (low grades) for pharmacy, so I decided to study dental hygiene instead. Now im in my last year in the program and I can't wait for finish it. I hate the clinics and I dread going to work every time. I have a really good reason to explain to committee (if they do ask) to why I don't want to be a dental hygienist.

I worked as a CNA before so I know what RNs do. I also worked as a retail pharm tech. And between RNs and pharmacists, I believe that as a pharmacist, you will not interact to patients as much, and when you do, it will mostly be counselling to patients about the drugs that they're taking. You will be getting phone calls with patients asking questions too. And if you're really friendly and want more interaction with the customers, then that's a plus. The similarity between the professions is that the work will exhaust you mentally. You will have complaints and you need to know how to satisfy the customers. (correct me if im wrong, people)

It's alright if you have a 3.0 GPA, but the higher the better chance of getting in. Try to raise ur GPA with the rest of pharm pre-reqs that u need to take. Also, do well on the PCAT. I believe that your clinical experience will stand out... because you had the patient interaction. But try to shadow a pharmacist or work as a pharm tech before you apply, that will look better.

Hope this helps.

Ruby,

I think I know what you are going through. I have been a nurse for almost 9 years and changing to pharmacy. Don't worry about your GPA. By taking the pre-requisites for pharmacy and do well, it will go up. Also, study well for the PCAT. You would be considered a non-traditional applicant and will stand out. Are you enrolled in school n0w? Do you have a plan as to what application cycle you are aiming for? Best of luck to you! You can do this!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen opposite stories a lot very recently. Pharmacist could not find a job and now going to nursing school to get BSN or MSN/NP. go to indeed.com and you may see

In my class, at least two pre-pharm students switched to PA this year.

In my class, at least two pre-pharm students switched to PA this year.

at this moment, PA schools is very very competitive to get in lol. the reason is that most of them are only enrolling less than 50 students (except Duke and few schools..which has more than 80) and 1000+ apply to each schools. With ACA, PA profession is in golden age right now (like pharmacy was 10 years ago)

kaidou1412, you are right about the PA program. I know a few people who are pursuing it and are having a hard time getting into a program. Things are changing everywhere. I've been a nurse for almost nine years and I have seen it go downhill. I know numerous new nursing grads with a BSN who are not be able get a job. Everyone wants someone with experience. As far as pharmacy goes in south Florida, the market is saturated. I hope to stay at the hospital where I work now per-diem and get a job as a clinical pharmacist or do a residency. Although the money will be better as a pharmacist compared to my RN pay, I look forward to being able to have more autonomy and expand my knowledge. I feel that nursing has limited me in what I am capable to doing and look forward to a new adventure.

My friend was a BSN and she hated her job...she went back to school and became a Pharm.D. She graduated last year and scrambled for work....but no luck. Now she's back on the floor as an RN. At least, it pays the bill. So Pharm.D is not a good choice at this moment.

Are they lower tier schools where graduates have trouble getting a job?

Are they lower tier schools where graduates have trouble getting a job?
Not really....school ranking does not matter in real life in pharmacy profession. Unless you apply for teaching jobs, or fellowship then it's a different story.

I've seen opposite stories a lot very recently. Pharmacist could not find a job and now going to nursing school to get BSN or MSN/NP. go to indeed.com and you may see

My friend was a BSN and she hated her job...she went back to school and became a Pharm.D. She graduated last year and scrambled for work....but no luck. Now she's back on the floor as an RN. At least, it pays the bill. So Pharm.D is not a good choice at this moment.

For real ?? dang....

lisinopril, that's sad to hear about your friend. Which state is your friend in and may I ask which school?

lisinopril, that's sad to hear about your friend. Which state is your friend in and may I ask which school?
California and she graduated from a very popular school in Southern California.....don't wanna mention name here...let's not be very specific.

Members don't see this ad :)
California and she graduated from a very popular school in Southern California.....don't wanna mention name here...let's not be very specific.

I don't see why you can't be specific but I'll respect that you don't feel comfortable sharing. Did she do a residency?

Lisinopril is just trying to steer any and everyone away from Pharmacy school, and based on what I saw in his post history has been that way for at least a year. This is all he posts about, "doom and gloom", the "bursting bubble", "go PA, MD, stay away from Pharm. D." etc.

Truth is, everything is easier to get into school/harder to find jobs as schools are becoming businesses and the economy is hurting... In almost EVERY field. Doesn't mean you won't get a job as a pharmacist, also doesn't mean you're going to be wooed with fancy cars or signing bonuses.

Reactions: 1 users
Lisinopril is just trying to steer any and everyone away from Pharmacy school, and based on what I saw in his post history has been that way for at least a year. This is all he posts about, "doom and gloom", the "bursting bubble", "go PA, MD, stay away from Pharm. D." etc.

Truth is, everything is easier to get into school/harder to find jobs as schools are becoming businesses and the economy is hurting... In almost EVERY field. Doesn't mean you won't get a job as a pharmacist, also doesn't mean you're going to be wooed with fancy cars or signing bonuses.

There are other fields that provide a much higher return on investment, especially in computers, engineering, and finance. Most of these degrees do not require nearly the amount of debt that a PharmD does. In fact, demand for computer science graduates is extremely high. They can easily reach a salary that rivals that of a pharmacist without going into $200k+ debt and spending an additional 4 years of schooling. It's similar to the difference between learning a high-demand trade at a community college or vocational school compared to taking out $100k loans to get a liberal arts degree at a private school.

There are other fields that provide a much higher return on investment, especially in computers, engineering, and finance. Most of these degrees do not require nearly the amount of debt that a PharmD does. In fact, demand for computer science graduates is extremely high. They can easily reach a salary that rivals that of a pharmacist without going into $200k+ debt and spending an additional 4 years of schooling. It's similar to the difference between learning a high-demand trade at a community college or vocational school compared to taking out $100k loans to get a liberal arts degree at a private school.

there are always people who just simply do not or refuse not to understand supply and demand....

Go finish your pharm.d and come back in a few year and tell me if you have a job...I just want to alert students what they get themselves into.

Go finish your pharm.d and come back in a few year and tell me if you have a job...I just want to alert students what they get themselves into.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this thread titled "Switching from nursing to pharmacy" ? Lisinopril, are you a registered nurse who is pursuing pharmacy or already is a pharmacist? My guess is that you are NOT! I came here to learn and share my experiences as I change career and perhaps also encourage others. I live in the real world and I can see your point but there is no need to be so negative. I don't think you are the authority on the subject and quite frankly, your remarks are not appreciated on my end.

Last edited:
And what about people who actually want to be in the medical profession without hating our own choices? Clearly money is the driving choice for you... But I don't have a single bit of interest in any type of computer science. I'm simply not interested in it. So, I'm going to pursue a Pharm D because I'd rather work my ass off and rack up a bit of debt over the next 4 years and potentially triple my current salary than stay where I am and constantly wonder if I'm going to be able to afford to put my kids through college. Just because you're obviously upset with your own choice to pursue pharm instead of PA/MD doesn't mean you should steer everyone else away.

Stop hating on the field, everyone gets it: Pharmacist jobs are harder to come by these days. Enough already! Your complaints about your "friends" probably isn't going to change the mind of anyone in this forum!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this thread titled "Switching from nursing to pharmacy" ? Lisinopril, are you a registered nurse who is pursuing pharmacy or already is a pharmacist? My guess is that you are NOT! I came here to learn and share my experiences as I change career and perhaps also encourage others. I live in the real world and I can see your point but there is no need to be so negative. I don't think you are the authority on the subject and quite frankly, your remarks are not appreciated on my end.

And what about people who actually want to be in the medical profession without hating our own choices? Clearly money is the driving choice for you... But I don't have a single bit of interest in any type of computer science. I'm simply not interested in it. So, I'm going to pursue a Pharm D because I'd rather work my ass off and rack up a bit of debt over the next 4 years and potentially triple my current salary than stay where I am and constantly wonder if I'm going to be able to afford to put my kids through college. Just because you're obviously upset with your own choice to pursue pharm instead of PA/MD doesn't mean you should steer everyone else away.

Stop hating on the field, everyone gets it: Pharmacist jobs are harder to come by these days. Enough already! Your complaints about your "friends" probably isn't going to change the mind of anyone in this forum!

Sorry to say (as this seems to be between you guys and lisinopril), you guys are not owning this theead or forum. Lisinopril has the right to voice his opinions just equally that you guys do. You might not appreciate his info and opinion but please speak for yourself as someone else might appreciate his candid opinions about the reality of pharmacy.... Imho his posts are relevant to the orinal poster's question....

In all fairness, he's just warned you guys about the reality in pharmacy now and where it is heading in the future. I've been a while here on SDN and I know he is a pharmacist. So fwiw his opinions might have some weight here... He does not put a gun in your heads and tell you not to pursue pharmacy....

As for pharmacy, it is just simple math: 139 schools and even more new schools in the process of opening... Market can absorb this pumping for a while but it is only a matter of time before sh*ts hit the fan... You guys wanna load on huge debts and struggle in the future when you finish pharmacy school all the while having other career choices then more power to you and please go ahead as no one here will stop you... Just saying ;)

Just because you work hard, work during school, get good grades, and participate in extracurricular activities doesn't mean you'll end up with that dream job you've always wanted, or even a job at all. There simply aren't enough pharmacist jobs for the flood of new graduates, let alone the coveted 'unicorn' jobs. If everyone could work in the field which they majored, then liberal arts graduates would be working at their dream jobs instead of at Starbucks to pay off their 5- and 6-figure student loans.

Many of us aren't necessarily telling others not to be a pharmacist, just that the return on investment to become one is already poor and getting worse compared to other fields as more graduates enter the market with a limited supply of jobs, and tuition continues to rise. If it's your passion, definitely go for it. The laws of supply and demand still apply.

Last edited:
I am sorry if my post makes someone uncomfortable to read. All I wanted, really, was to raise the alarm of oversupply of pharmacists. All I mentioned in my posts are 100% truth. I am not saying it represents 100% of the pharmacy.

Pharmacist is still a fantastic health profession..just not as great as it used to be. The problem is, by the time whoever enters this year graduate (let's say 4-5 years from now?), job market for pharmacist will get worse, not better. It's not the doom of the world, but know that before starting your school.