Switching specialties after ERAS submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waynard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried looking for a similar thread, but couldn't find anything to answer my questions - apologies in advance for a repeat if I couldn't find one. I submitted my residency application for radiology, but have been having some serious doubts about my career choice since submitting. I was torn between IM and rads for a while, having liked aspects of both, and am now considering withdrawing my rads application and submitting IM. I am a pretty competitive applicant from a mid-tier US MD school and was wondering if anyone else has done this or has any advice on the subject. The last thing I'd want to do is commit ERAS suicide by applying late to programs that have good fellowship matches.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not terribly late. MSPE's were just released. You would want to make it 100% clear in your PS what the story was, else it could look like you're applying to IM as a backup. If you applied to prelim programs they might have already reviewed your application, and if you tell them that you've changed your mind and are now looking at categorical IM might be very happy to interview you. Although I really discourage people from emailing programs to "please take a look at my application", this might be an exception where a brief email explaining your change of interest might be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user