Switching to EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERdoc2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for EM spots for this cycle and have become concerned because I only have one interview invite so far. My question, Should I try to match into IM and then switch residencies down the line? I know I want to do Emergency Medicine, but if I can't match into it this year what is my best bet for getting a spot in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you managed to get any SLOEs?

It's still early. If you have concerns about your application, apply to all the programs you would attend.
This may be ALL the programs.
Don't plan on reapplying. Try to get it done the first time around.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure exactly, but at this exact time last year, I only had one invite (other than my home program). I ultimately got 16 invites and matched at my first choice. You still have some time. The middle 2 weeks of October were when the majority of invites came in for me.

I appreciate the responses, I feel soemwhat reassured and I will do everything I can to get it done this time around. Thank you guys!

Only have two currently and my buddy only has one and we both have slightly above average numbers. I wouldn't be too worried. Looking at the interview thread there is only a single program I applied to that has already started sending out invites other than the two I currently have.

Reactions: 1 users
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the invites prior to the MSPE (aka Dean's Letter) coming out is pretty new. Last year I remember many people (not just SDN posters, but program faculty) being surprised that invites were coming out so early. In the past, invites would not come until after the MSPE was released. With 160+ programs, it seems it's a minority that sends invites prior to the MSPE.

Does your school have an EM department or EM residency? Do you have an advisor? You should consider a back up plan if that number of invites does not go up. It's still fairly early in the game.

I am applying for EM spots for this cycle and have become concerned because I only have one interview invite so far. My question, Should I try to match into IM and then switch residencies down the line? I know I want to do Emergency Medicine, but if I can't match into it this year what is my best bet for getting a spot in the future?
This is too early in the application cycle to be worried about this. the vast majority of programs haven't sent out any interview offers at all yet, so the fact that you only have 1 invite so far is meaningless.

I've relaxed about this subject for now. My school does not have an Emergency Medicine program, unfortunately. I've talked to my advisor and I suppose the only issue is that there is nothing I want to do except for EM. I absolutely love it and I would literally reapply 5 years in a row to get it. That sounds like a horrible plan, but what I'm saying is whatever backup plan I have needs to be a curcuitous route back to EM. If I do end up needing a backup, what's the best plan to get me back to EM?

Come on now. It's emergency medicine -- we're the laid back ones, remember?

I remember what it was like. It sucks, but it's also only October 3rd. Do you have any red flags in your application? If not, or even if you do, give yourself a chance before we start talking about backup plans you likely won't even need.

I don't have any red flags really, if there was one it would be my very slightly below average step 1 score. But step 2 is quite a bit above average. Haha. I normally am super relaxed, it is scary as hell. But still, time to try and chill. Thanks.

It's October 3rd you paranoid OCDer. Half my interviews were extended in December. Let me know where to call in the xanax prescription.

Just relax. It's early October. Give yourself a few weeks.