Tablets For School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh- about the iPad Pro- my hand always rests on my device, making writing with a stylus a trouble. sometimes Anyone have any experience with this??
Haven't personally used an iPad Pro, but if it uses an active digitizer w/ palm rejection (which I'm assuming it does), then it shouldn't be an issue for you.

Members don't see this ad.

So the consensus I'm seeing here is that the iPad mimics hand writing well enough to retain it if you're an "old fashioned" person such as myself. This is awesome!
I've used an iPad for the last 2 years during undergrad and it has been amazing. Before fall semester started this year I upgraded to the Pro + pencil and it has been amazing! I've used many other styluses with the iPad and nothing has been like the Apple Pencil. I also sync Notability with my iPad, MacBook and iPhone and study from all of them at some point or another.

Here's the main reason I use Notability:
If you record your lectures while you are taking notes (handwritten , typed, on pictures you've taken, screenshots inserted, etc) you can not only go back and re-listen to the lecture, but you can tap on ANY of the notes you took and it will take you to whatever your prof was talking about at the exact time you were taking the specific notes. It saves so much time because you do not have to go back and listen to the whole lecture or try to find "when" they were talking about something specific. I can literally just go back and listen to the section I want to re-listen to without listening to the entire thing. It's brilliant if you ask me :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh- about the iPad Pro- my hand always rests on my device, making writing with a stylus a trouble. sometimes Anyone have any experience with this??
The iPad Pro has an active hand rejection program when using the Apple Pencil. It's supposed to be one of the best hand rejection systems out there for any tablet. You can always ask someone who works at an a Apple Store, I'm sure they've got loads more information!

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like I'm living in the dark ages...I've still always preferred hand writing my notes (except when I took Biochem and my professor went through slides too fast lol).

We are required to get a new iPad...and I think I'm just going to splurge and get a pro with a lot of storage and the apple pencil

This is amazing:eek:
Here's the main reason I use Notability:
If you record your lectures while you are taking notes (handwritten , typed, on pictures you've taken, screenshots inserted, etc) you can not only go back and re-listen to the lecture, but you can tap on ANY of the notes you took and it will take you to whatever your prof was talking about at the exact time you were taking the specific notes.

Haha. Admittedly I've been a pretty big Lenovo loyalist for a while so seeing that ISU required a ThinkPad model as their machine made me quite happy (before the c/o 2019 the required computers were Fujitsu brand and from what I understand there were lots of issues with those, hence the switch).

I will say that between the x220t I used in undergrad and the yoga 260, the former does have the better pen (the pen included with the 260 is just a little too thin for my taste after becoming accustomed to the x220t). The good news is that Lenovo does sell a separate pen that is larger and more natural feeling than the tiny one that the machine ships with if that bothers you.

That's pretty much my only complaint, though, tbh. Definitely was worth the price tag for me. Nicer than the Surface I owned prior and far more functional for notetaking/productivity than an overpriced iPad Pro will ever be, imo.

ETA: here's a couple of videos if you want to see it in action

Mmm I had a x22ot through didactic years and loved it... don't think I can justify the need for anything with a digitizer nowadays unless I start drawing again, but glad to hear they've continued making solid laptops with that option. They were one of the only options with a true sensitive stylus years back and it was good enough that it was not much different than using a dedicated digital tablet.

Mmm I had a x22ot through didactic years and loved it... don't think I can justify the need for anything with a digitizer nowadays unless I start drawing again, but glad to hear they've continued making solid laptops with that option. They were one of the only options with a true sensitive stylus years back and it was good enough that it was not much different than using a dedicated digital tablet.
Agreed. I would still take a ThinkPad with active digitizer over a dedicated digital tablet any day (even if it is a bit uglier, haha). Works amazingly with OneNote and it is nice to have a full OS rather than a more mobile enviornment and I love that Lenovo is still continuing to place function and durability over form unlike so many other computer manufacturers.

My x220t is still going strong. It was basically the perfect computer in my eyes and only if I wasn't required to upgrade by the school, I would have kept using it. The only things I really don't care for on the Yoga 260 are, as I mentioned, the thinness/crampiness of the included pen (though again, this is easily remedied by buying the optional ThinkPad Pen Pro---cost me a very reasonable $35 or so) and the build quality is just slightly less sturdy than the x220t. Still a tank, though, and it has endured falls of 5 ft or so onto the hard anatomy lab floor with virtually zero damage... I'd love to see an iPad survive that. ;)

Agreed. I would still take a ThinkPad with active digitizer over a dedicated digital tablet any day (even if it is a bit uglier, haha). Works amazingly with OneNote and it is nice to have a full OS rather than a more mobile enviornment and I love that Lenovo is still continuing to place function and durability over form unlike so many other computer manufacturers.

My x220t is still going strong. It was basically the perfect computer in my eyes and only if I wasn't required to upgrade by the school, I would have kept using it. The only things I really don't care for on the Yoga 260 are, as I mentioned, the thinness/crampiness of the included pen (though again, this is easily remedied by buying the optional ThinkPad Pen Pro---cost me a very reasonable $35 or so) and the build quality is just slightly less sturdy than the x220t. Still a tank, though, and it has endured falls of 5 ft or so onto the hard anatomy lab floor with virtually zero damage... I'd love to see an iPad survive that. ;)
My x220 is packed somewhere; still worked, but lenovo hq is nearby and they had an overstock sale two years ago when I got my current beast of a laptop for painfully cheap. Didn't need the digitizer for notes any more (thank god) so it faded off.

I've found most apple products pretty durable but absolutely can't stand the lack of ability to customize. And how stupid expensive they (and all accessories) are.

I do the same thing, and it's never been an issue at all for me with the pro+pencil

I feel like I'm living in the dark ages...I've still always preferred hand writing my notes (except when I took Biochem and my professor went through slides too fast lol).

We are required to get a new iPad...and I think I'm just going to splurge and get a pro with a lot of storage and the apple pencil

This is amazing:eek:

It truly is! When your biochem prof went too fast, you could've already uploaded the slides, highlighted or starred areas with quick notes and been able to go back to relisten to the whole thing, pausing as you took notes (after lecture) and those notes would be able to take you back to the areas you needed to review!

You can change colors, the size of the font, highlight your uploaded PDF's or slide shows, annotate directly on them, as well as add pages in between or at the end to write more notes. If you have any questions on how to use it @mmmdreamerz, pm me. It has made school life so much easier for me.

It truly is! When your biochem prof went too fast, you could've already uploaded the slides, highlighted or starred areas with quick notes and been able to go back to relisten to the whole thing, pausing as you took notes (after lecture) and those notes would be able to take you back to the areas you needed to review!

You can change colors, the size of the font, highlight your uploaded PDF's or slide shows, annotate directly on them, as well as add pages in between or at the end to write more notes. If you have any questions on how to use it @mmmdreamerz, pm me. It has made school life so much easier for me.

Thanks @Liquid_Phoenix The thing about recording notes like that is super cool. I had no idea!

Do you have a Pro? How much storage does the note taking seem to take up? I already have my Mac, so the only stuff I'll probably store on it will be for school and I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best one to get storage wise...

Thanks @Liquid_Phoenix The thing about recording notes like that is super cool. I had no idea!

Do you have a Pro? How much storage does the note taking seem to take up? I already have my Mac, so the only stuff I'll probably store on it will be for school and I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best one to get storage wise...
I do have the Pro and it takes up 1 GB of space on ALL of my devices. I have it set up to back up to my google drive so all of the memory is taken up there. You can also back it up to iCloud if you prefer. I have it saved to both. Stupid? Possibly, but I'm the type of person who would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to all of my notes lol. If you want to sync to all of your devices, you will have to add it to iCloud.

If you want to save it to the iPad only, you can do that as well without much memory sacrificed. Total memory I've used my classes is 9.7 GB! This total includes ALL lectures (including the recordings) for:
Gen Chem 1&2
Gen Bio 1&2
Trig
Calc
Physics 1&2
Micro
A&P 1&2
Ochem 1&2
and Biochem

I bought my iPad with 256GB but you will not need all of that. I tend to keep a lot of music on mine as well as apps for courses I'm taking. Current memory usage is 57GB. I am hoping to get in this cycle so I planned for the higher memory hoping I could keep all of my past notes for reference without having to wipe it later. I would definitely recommend at least 64GB but 128GB might be better if you do not want to update later. Completely your preference as to what you use it for. I also bought the larger screen, but that's not for everyone either. I personally love it.

I do have the Pro and it takes up 1 GB of space on ALL of my devices. I have it set up to back up to my google drive so all of the memory is taken up there. You can also back it up to iCloud if you prefer. I have it saved to both. Stupid? Possibly, but I'm the type of person who would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to all of my notes lol. If you want to sync to all of your devices, you will have to add it to iCloud.

If you want to save it to the iPad only, you can do that as well without much memory sacrificed. Total memory I've used my classes is 9.7 GB! This total includes ALL lectures (including the recordings) for:
Gen Chem 1&2
Gen Bio 1&2
Trig
Calc
Physics 1&2
Micro
A&P 1&2
Ochem 1&2
and Biochem

I bought my iPad with 256GB but you will not need all of that. I tend to keep a lot of music on mine as well as apps for courses I'm taking. Current memory usage is 57GB. I am hoping to get in this cycle so I planned for the higher memory hoping I could keep all of my past notes for reference without having to wipe it later. I would definitely recommend at least 64GB but 128GB might be better if you do not want to update later. Completely your preference as to what you use it for. I also bought the larger screen, but that's not for everyone either. I personally love it.

The screen size was going to be my next question...wasn't sure which to go with. I'll probably do the 128 if you think the 256 is extra extensive. This is SO helpful! Good to know about backing things up...not having physical notes makes me a little nervous about losing stuff lol

Members don't see this ad :)
The screen size was going to be my next question...wasn't sure which to go with. I'll probably do the 128 if you think the 256 is extra extensive. This is SO helpful! Good to know about backing things up...not having physical notes makes me a little nervous about losing stuff lol
You can also export your notes (with or without the recordings) to your email or folder if you would like to print them and have hard copies. :thumbup: You are also able to airdrop them to classmates if you want to share your notes/study guides etc.

Edit: I forgot to add the link on how to backup Notability to your google drive. https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.haik...672601&Signature=HSU4yC3lx5EtA0z0mEi1GJYYPJU=

I bought my ipad pro last semester specifically for school. It's great because I have my notes all in one place and I can look back at stuff from past semesters. It definitely would not be worth the money without the apple pencil but it is the best stylus ever and you don't have to worry about having your palm on the tablet because it has palm rejection technology. It's like writing with a normal pencil, or as close as I've ever seen.

I have the 9.5" pro because the 12" is just too big for me. If you are a note-typer I would recommend the logitech create keyboard case too. It's cheaper than the apple one and a lot nicer. Also has a little slot to hold your pencil and provides a lot of protection for your tablet.

I'm still in undergrad, but I definitely plan on using my pro in vet school.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

My x220 from 2011 is still plodding along with no issues. It's mostly docked now, so perhaps it would be a bit different if I had it out and about more - but I loved it for school and it still works great.

I was baffled by all the iPad love until I googled the "Apple Pencil" - ohhhh right, they finally made a normal stylus instead of the derpy rubber type ones. Because *those* didn't work for writing at all... they sucked. Damn, $99 tho - Apple sure does like to charge a lot for little white pieces of technology.

Reactions: 6 users
I bought my ipad pro last semester specifically for school. It's great because I have my notes all in one place and I can look back at stuff from past semesters. It definitely would not be worth the money without the apple pencil but it is the best stylus ever and you don't have to worry about having your palm on the tablet because it has palm rejection technology. It's like writing with a normal pencil, or as close as I've ever seen.

I have the 9.5" pro because the 12" is just too big for me. If you are a note-typer I would recommend the logitech create keyboard case too. It's cheaper than the apple one and a lot nicer. Also has a little slot to hold your pencil and provides a lot of protection for your tablet.

I'm still in undergrad, but I definitely plan on using my pro in vet school.

I totally agree with you about the Apple Pencil. Hands down the best stylus I've used and I tried many with my old iPad before I got the Pro. I also have the Logitech keyboard. It's stronger and so much sturdier than the apple keyboard...especially for the 12.9"!

It looks like I'm the only one with the 12.9 iPad Pro here? I had the same concerns aboi size and had originally thought I would get the smaller...but I'm glad I went larger. The bigger screen makes side By side pages much more legible and I don't have to zoom inwhen in writing in my messy handwriting. It's a little too big for casual use but that's fine, I have other devices for that. For school, the 12.9 is perfect.

It looks like I'm the only one with the 12.9 iPad Pro here? I had the same concerns aboi size and had originally thought I would get the smaller...but I'm glad I went larger. The bigger screen makes side By side pages much more legible and I don't have to zoom inwhen in writing in my messy handwriting. It's a little too big for casual use but that's fine, I have other devices for that. For school, the 12.9 is perfect.
I was looking at the two at the Apple Store a couple days ago, and I honestly can't decide. I forgot about the side by side pages feature. I have problems with the zooming causes messy writing with my old tablet, so I'm just curious to see what happens when the new ones come out.

I was looking at the two at the Apple Store a couple days ago, and I honestly can't decide. I forgot about the side by side pages feature. I have problems with the zooming causes messy writing with my old tablet, so I'm just curious to see what happens when the new ones come out.

Well it's a hassle, but you usually have two weeks to try a product under return polices...so pick one and give it a go?

Well it's a hassle, but you usually have two weeks to try a product under return polices...so pick one and give it a go?
Ahhh I'll probably just play around on them in the Apple Store several times before choosing, so I don't think I'll have to return them.

Question for those currently using a tablet as their main note-taking device:

Do you solely write out everything by hand or do you type things as well? In undergrad I was a typer, but from reading responses it seems like most people write stuff out on their tablets. If I decide to get a tablet, should I get a keyboard for it as well or will that mainly go unused?

Do you solely write out everything by hand or do you type things as well? In undergrad I was a typer, but from reading responses it seems like most people write stuff out on their tablets. If I decide to get a tablet, should I get a keyboard for it as well or will that mainly go unused?

I know typing is faster and more convenient, but I find that hand-writing causes you to remember more as you write because you kind of have to consider each word with your brain a little bit. Plus for classes where you have to draw out diagrams or structures, you can't really type those!

If you have to pick between an apple pencil and a fancy keyboard, I would start with the pencil. Typing with the touchscreen keyboard is weird but if you have to draw with a crappy stylus its much worse!

Nm; misread the question

Last edited by a moderator:

Note: I've been using a Samsung Galaxy note 10.1 and just got a Surface Pro 3

Mostly any notes I take, I handwrite on the tablet, either on a pdf of the lecture slides, or on a blank page on the app I use.

With the Surface I'm switching to using one note. I'll still be handwriting my notes but I wanted the slightly bigger screen and keyboard so I can make anki notecards at the same time. Super multitasking during lectures so I have to pay attention!

I know typing is faster and more convenient, but I find that hand-writing causes you to remember more as you write because you kind of have to consider each word with your brain a little bit. Plus for classes where you have to draw out diagrams or structures, you can't really type those!

If you have to pick between an apple pencil and a fancy keyboard, I would start with the pencil. Typing with the touchscreen keyboard is weird but if you have to draw with a crappy stylus its much worse!

Note: I've been using a Samsung Galaxy note 10.1 and just got a Surface Pro 3

Mostly any notes I take, I handwrite on the tablet, either on a pdf of the lecture slides, or on a blank page on the app I use.

With the Surface I'm switching to using one note. I'll still be handwriting my notes but I wanted the slightly bigger screen and keyboard so I can make anki notecards at the same time. Super multitasking during lectures so I have to pay attention!

Thank you guys so much for your responses!! As a follow-up: when it comes time to study, do you find it more difficult making study guides or outlines having most of your notes written on your slides (rather than having your notes typed up in a word doc)? Or do you do another method of studying?

I also have the 12.9 and think it is perfect! I use the side by side function all the time. I honestly thought it would be too big at first but I'm glad I bought it.

It depends on your preference. I do both but tend to handwrite my notes more often. I have both the keyboard and the Apple Pencil. I usually use the keyboard for typing up flashcards or making study guides and I handwrite my notes.

For the iPad Pro...opinions on whether I should get the 12.9 with less memory or the 9.7 with more memory (gotta make some sort of compromises lol)...?

Thank you guys so much for your responses!! As a follow-up: when it comes time to study, do you find it more difficult making study guides or outlines having most of your notes written on your slides (rather than having your notes typed up in a word doc)? Or do you do another method of studying?
Depends on what method I'm going with.

If I'm making study guides, part of my studying is reorganizing/typing up the notes. So it's an extra step but it makes me think about my notes and actively do something with them.
If I'm just doing my anki notecards...kind of the same thing. I have to think of questions to ask myself. This works even better because I have to actively recall things when I'm studying the notecards later on.

For the iPad Pro...opinions on whether I should get the 12.9 with less memory or the 9.7 with more memory (gotta make some sort of compromises lol)...?
I don't know anything about Apple products, but does the iPad pro have an SD card slot? You could get a decent sized SD card for pretty cheap

I don't know anything about Apple products, but does the iPad pro have an SD card slot? You could get a decent sized SD card for pretty cheap

Nah, you can't. Internal memory only.

Well my way of studying has a lot of work involved but that's just me. For classes with a lot of figures and info like molecular biology (which i'm avoiding studying right now) I take the notes from my tablet that I wrote in class, and rewrite/reorganize/summarize them in a normal notebook. Usually I go through the textbook and my notes to make sure I'm getting the big picture. Because I am a kinetic/visual learner, it really helps me retain the information. Plus you can transfer your notes to whatever electronic device you want or send your notes to your friends without having to sit in front of a scanner.

BTW: The notetaking app I use for my ipad is called Whink. I mainly got it because it is free and aesthetically pleasing but I'm planning on making a switch to Notability because I hear a lot of great things about it.