Taking 1st year course in 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been brought up a million times already but here's my situation. Currently I'm enrolled in five courses, one of which is a 3rd year course and the rest is 4th year. We haven't had any midterms yet but the prof for one of my 4th year courses doesn't seem very fair and I'm not too sure I'll be able to do well in it. So I'm considering to substitute this with a 1st year chemistry course titled "Chemistry in Your Home and Environment". A birdish-sounding title, I know, but since I care about my GPA and adcoms don't really care what courses you take (as long as you're only taking one or two as opposed to a bunch of bird courses in 4th year), I think I should take this instead of that one 4th year course.
But I still can't make my decision because, from related threads I've seen, the situation has been that the 1st year course was required for their major OR it interests them. (eg. Music, Philosophy, Humanities, English). In my case, the chemistry bird course isn't needed for my major, nor is it something that will satisfy my interest/curiosity because I've already taken a lot of higher-level technical chem courses so when asked about why I took this course, I can't just say "Well it looked interesting and I always wanted to know about XXXXX." But still, will this not matter?

So just to make it more clear, I'm a biochem major and here's my current course load:
4th level biochem (for my major)
3rd level biochem (for my major)
4th level bio (elective)

Now I'm considering to go to:
1st level bird chem (elective)
3rd level biochem (for my major)
4th level bio (elective)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can't always change what you want just because you don't like the professor. Life is going to suck for you with that attitude.

You can't always change what you want just because you don't like the professor. Life is going to suck for you with that attitude.

While I agree with that, given it is the OPs 4th year I think there is definitely some leeway in not continuing to bash yourself over the head with unnecessary classes. OP, do you have any other options for the last class? Ideally, you should switch to something that you're interested in. Not for your application to medical school (because pretty much no-one will care about your one first year class that you took your senior year) but because once you're out of college, you no longer have the ability to take a class just because you are interested in it. I was in a similar situation to you - I didn't need to switch a class but I was way under the full-time credit limit and needed to take something to get to full time. I ended up taking freshman astronomy and it was really a lot of fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think adcoms are probably used to seeing 1st year courses on 4th year schedules since a lot of seniors end up scrambling to finish lib ed requirements. I doubt it'll merit a second glance.

but I agree with mvenus that you should try a humanities course instead. It'd be a nice change of pace.

I took bio 1 during my 6th year of undergrad work. (I graduated in 4 and then went somewhere else)

It was somewhat hilarious to be accepted to medical school and taking biology 1 with freshman premeds/predents. I was pretty much double awesome since I was already accepted AND I could buy alcohol. (Simple things to impress at state schools)