Taking non pre-requisite course over winter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kronos-

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I did poorly in a writing class freshman year, and am planning to take another writing class the coming winter session to "make up" for the poor performance in the other class, as I've heard that it is essential to demonstrate to adcoms's that you can perform well in writing/english classes.

I am conflicted on whether I should take this writing class over the winter or whether I should take it during the Spring semester, as I've heard that it is frowned upon to take winter/summer courses (does this notion only apply to med school pre-requisite classes? Or does it apply to all classes in general, including non-STEM classes like english?).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What year are you? And by "did poorly" what do you mean by that?

It's completely OK not to make an A on every single course you take as a premed. I would just learn from your mistake and study harder/better/go to office hours/seek out tutoring in the future as opposed to retaking a course if you've passed it.

Reactions: 1 users
What year are you? And by "did poorly" what do you mean by that?

It's completely OK not to make an A on every single course you take as a premed. I would just learn from your mistake and study harder/better/go to office hours/seek out tutoring in the future as opposed to retaking a course if you've passed it.
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a senior currently. I passed with a B-. I understand that it is fine not to get an A in every course, but I've heard that specifically for writing classes, it's good to do well in them to show adcoms that you are proficient in writing and able to properly convey your thoughts.

Idk if I'm being too neurotic, but that's just what I've heard; please feel free to disprove.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a senior currently. I passed with a B-. I understand that it is fine not to get an A in every course, but I've heard that specifically for writing classes, it's good to do well in them to show adcoms that you are proficient in writing and able to properly convey your thoughts.

Idk if I'm being too neurotic, but that's just what I've heard; please feel free to disprove.
Ahh Ok.

I'm on an adcom, and n=1, but I think you're being too neurotic dude. When I review apps, I just skim your transcripts to see what kind of courses you take (Ochem? OK, Historical European Martial Arts? Cool!) Obviously your GPA matters, but I wouldn't care at all if you got a B- in one writing class. If you made nothing but Cs, I'd notice, but mostly As and then one B-? Who cares?

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

You're being too neurotic. Even a B- in a core pre-requisite class would be fine.

It is highly unusual to look at an application with the level of granularity to determine if a course was taken in fall, winter or spring. Summer only matters if you duck a weed out at your usual school by going to what appears to be an easier school over the summer. (If you go to a highly competitive school that was really hard to get into and take a difficult course at a school that admits almost all comers, that's what I'm talking about.)

Don't worry about a B- in composition.

• Hmm
Hello,

I did poorly in a writing class freshman year, and am planning to take another writing class the coming winter session to "make up" for the poor performance in the other class, as I've heard that it is essential to demonstrate to adcoms's that you can perform well in writing/english classes.

I am conflicted on whether I should take this writing class over the winter or whether I should take it during the Spring semester, as I've heard that it is frowned upon to take winter/summer courses (does this notion only apply to med school pre-requisite classes? Or does it apply to all classes in general, including non-STEM classes like english?).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
You heard wrong, you're supposed to do well in all of your courses. However, we recognize that applicants are human and a glitch every now and then is okay
And taking a winter course is fine

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

As a follow-up, you could have gotten an F in the course and it still would be possible to get into medical school.

• Love