Taking Courses at outside universities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hazel310

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering how bad it is to take prereqs at outside institutions? Summer of 2020 my summer internship got canceled so I took classes online. I simultaneously took chem 1 and 2 from my university and took physics 1 and 2 with lab at an outside university (my state university which is NOT a cc). I mainly took it at my state university 1) because my uni wasn't offering physics over the summer 2) because it was a lot cheaper to take summer classes at my state university and 3) taking these courses over the summer would allow me to graduate earlier (which i'm doing for financial reasons). I'm wondering how much of a red flag to adcoms it may be that I took physics 1 and 2 with lab at a university much less rigorous than the one I'm graduating from. I still got A's in it while also getting A's in my chemistry classes that summer. I'm worried they'll see it as "taking the easy way out" which would suck since I did it for financial reasons and also because it certainly did not feel "easy" to take 14 credits of summer classes in the span of 2 months.

Any thoughts would be appreciated though, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not a red flag. It’s fine.

N = 1 but I did every single one of my prerequisites at my local community collage and currently M1 right now. Granted I’m a non traditional student and had access to a wonderful CC but hands down that community college is still the university I would rank as having the best teachers and classes I’ve ever had. It’s much cheaper, typically more flexible with schedules, and many schools are fine with it.

Just check each individual schools website to get the best clarification.

Reactions: 1 user
Outside prereqs are fine. Doubt anyone will question it unless you're taking all science classes at community college, which you clearly state isn't happening. I did something similar and maybe "worse". Got an A.S. from community college and went on to get a B.S. from state university. However during the summer and winter I would return to CC to take non-science prereqs to help me graduate more quickly. Currently a second yr D.O. student.