Taking PCAT without Cal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arcella

Protozoa :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply for 2008 admission, but unfortunately I wont be taking calculus until first semester of 2008... Is it possible to do well on the PCAT without taking Calculus?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the pcat in january and it has no calculus on there, so you should not worry about that.

I want to apply for 2008 admission, but unfortunately I wont be taking calculus until first semester of 2008... Is it possible to do well on the PCAT without taking Calculus?

There were Calculus problems on the October 2006 PCAT, but there were fewer than I originally anticipated. I had my calculus course five years before I took the PCAT, and I really didn't review the subject hard. There were a couple of problems that I didn't know how to solve. But like I said, I was surprised that there wasn't more Calculus. However, I believe I read somewhere on this board that the PCAT will slant towards more calculus in the future, so I am unsure about the content of the test when you will take it.

For what it's worth, I got a 96 on the math section, so you can do okay if you at least buy a calculus review book and learn the basic concepts.

You can but suggest reviewing it on your own. The PCAT has changed with the math dropping geometry in favor of more calc, trig, & statistics.

If you have had pre-cal in high school you should be fine. I took the Jan 07 PCAT barely studied any math cuz to me math has always been the easier subjects (i was more freakiing out about bio). Turned out I had the most difficulty with math on the actual test bc I dont remember any of the elementary stuff (afterall, i havent done math in awhile). Surprisingly I got a 97 on math which is my highest score!!! I dont think Kaplan has a good math section tho, I'd probably just get a pre-cal textbook from highschool or in da library and flip through it quickly. Nothing u cannot do without a calculator!