Taking Role for California Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swartzlehman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was going to apply to Loma Linda since they don't require the GRE, but I decided to pass on that option, since I'll have to pull out loans, I've figured I should apply to Nor Cal schools and East Coast Schools, mainly in NY and Boston.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorta Bay Area/East Coast focused:

CA -- UCSF, Samuel Merritt, CSUFresno (and possibly throw in the other CSUs)
VA -- Marymount and Shenandoah
WA -- UW at Seattle
DC -- George Washington

Does anyone know how the new bill in CA (allowing CSUs to offer the DPT) will affect our entering class of 2014?

I applied to (in order of preference)
1. USC (maybe I'll get in by a BIG miracle)
2. Chapman or Samuel Merritt ( more hopeful for these two :] )
3. Mount St. Mary's
4. Loma Linda
or Azusa Pacific (later)
^ I am hesitant on these last 2 because I heard of their requirements for chapel service and religious classes and such things...

- I wanted to apply to Western but I wouldn't be able to get the second PT LOR by nov. I really wanted to go there though..
- I didn't apply to UOP because its super expensive for a 2 year DPT program (and I feel 2 years isn't enough to learn and experience everything in the program)
- I didn't apply to UCSF because they wanted everything done by 10/1 and there was no way I would have finished by then.
- I didn't apply to the CSUs because I heard it will prob take a few years before they switch over to DPT curriculum (because it prob takes time to organize/rewrite some things in the curriculum) so they'll prob be running in masters program still for a few years even though the bill passed (i wish the bill was passed earlier man!)

- I also applied to some schools in the East Coast for backups and I feel like their requirements are easier than here in CA

I'm sorta Bay Area/East Coast focused:

CA -- UCSF, Samuel Merritt, CSUFresno (and possibly throw in the other CSUs)
VA -- Marymount and Shenandoah
WA -- UW at Seattle
DC -- George Washington

Does anyone know how the new bill in CA (allowing CSUs to offer the DPT) will affect our entering class of 2014?

Why the east coast focus? Just curious.
Is it the DPT?

Why the east coast focus? Just curious.
Is it the DPT?

I decided that since I didn't care about the school name...I was going to pick schools based on location. I have a lot of family on the East Coast (esp in Virginia/Maryland), and I've always felt some remorse for not attending undergrad on the East Coast...so I figured, here was a fresh opportunity. Also, Shenandoah has DPT/MSAT dual degree program, so crossing my fingers on that one.

3. Mount St. Mary's
4. Loma Linda
or Azusa Pacific (later)
^ I am hesitant on these last 2 because I heard of their requirements for chapel service and religious classes and such things...

- I wanted to apply to Western but I wouldn't be able to get the second PT LOR by nov. I really wanted to go there though..
- I didn't apply to UOP because its super expensive for a 2 year DPT program (and I feel 2 years isn't enough to learn and experience everything in the program)
- I didn't apply to UCSF because they wanted everything done by 10/1 and there was no way I would have finished by then.
- I didn't apply to the CSUs because I heard it will prob take a few years before they switch over to DPT curriculum (because it prob takes time to organize/rewrite some things in the curriculum) so they'll prob be running in masters program still for a few years even though the bill passed (i wish the bill was passed earlier man!)

- I also applied to some schools in the East Coast for backups and I feel like their requirements are easier than here in CA

Just to throw this out there...CSU Fresno while is a MPT program, has an agreement with UCSF..thus you can still acquire your DPT from UCSF, without having to go there for the full program (so saves you lots o moolah!). If I recall correctly, CSU Fresno just requires their online application (but no additional essays), supp fee, and transcripts sent directly to them. So if you are finished with PTCAS, then it doesn't take much more apply.

Just to throw this out there...CSU Fresno while is a MPT program, has an agreement with UCSF..thus you can still acquire your DPT from UCSF, without having to go there for the full program (so saves you lots o moolah!). If I recall correctly, CSU Fresno just requires their online application (but no additional essays), supp fee, and transcripts sent directly to them. So if you are finished with PTCAS, then it doesn't take much more apply.

How about the GREs, LORs. Do they interview?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I wanted to apply there too but I didn't because their application is due this friday and their inpatient hours is due on the same day...I barely started working on my inpatient hrs (~13) and I have +250 outpatient. I just read their requirements again and they want 50 inpatient hours so yeah obviously I am no where close yet. I have no idea if they would make exceptions for my case.

Also the GRE scores are due by 10/25 and my first 2 tries I didn't even score 1000 so I'm currently taking GRE course with Kaplan and retaking it on Nov so I wouldn't be able to show them my updated score.

Should I still try?

@ Jbizzle --> I don't recall offhand their GRE's and LORs...but they were similar to UCSFs. So if you were qualified to apply to UCSF then you probably could have applied to CSU Fresno.

@Taurusgirl --> yeah, GREs suck, especially if you run into the situation where you need to retake them. While it's too late for CSU Fresno, check any other schools you are interested in to confirm that they will accept Nov GRE scores. I know that some schools are particular about when they receive the GRE scores.

@ Jbizzle --> I don't recall offhand their GRE's and LORs...but they were similar to UCSFs. So if you were qualified to apply to UCSF then you probably could have applied to CSU Fresno.

@Taurusgirl --> yeah, GREs suck, especially if you run into the situation where you need to retake them. While it's too late for CSU Fresno, check any other schools you are interested in to confirm that they will accept Nov GRE scores. I know that some schools are particular about when they receive the GRE scores.

Yeahh I figured I was too late since I didn't get feedback and submit in time. its okay I got some backups hopefully one school will see past the numbers.

3. Mount St. Mary's
4. Loma Linda
or Azusa Pacific (later)

Here's a ranking of California's most expensive PT schools in order..:eek: