Taking the DAT in a few days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dkny_316

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm taking the DAT May 22, literally in a few days and I'm not even close to being prepared. I literally have been cramming 16 hours a day for the last 4 days and my brain is on shut down. I know crazy right? Here's my story, I was planning on taking my DAT during my winter break and yeah that didn't happen. I can't extend my test date because that date is literally the last day I can take it otherwise I forfeit the money I paid. So my question is what do you guys think, should I go ahead and take the test since I've already paid for it? I do have all summer to study for this and have enough time to retake the test end of August if I don't do so well, so in time before priority application deadlines. Everyone tells me to go ahead and take the test since I've already paid for it but I'm wondering if I don't do well on this first one that it may look bad because I've heard that some schools take an average of your current and previous DAT scores? Please help I'm lost as to what I should do. So any feedback especially from those who have taken it more than once is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I speak from personal experience. I tok the DAT 2 years ago and went in with knowing that I'm not prepared. Everyone was telling me go ahead take it you will never feel ready etc... so I did it was the biggest mistake I've ever made. Not only was I not ready but because I was nervous that made me forget more and I drew blanks at the easiest questions because I doubted myself.
You are the only person that knows what's inside your head and how prepared you are. You have to make that call. Money is just money at the end of the day but the scores stay. It took me a while to get back to studying and feel that I can do this. The bad scores discourage you so make sure you are ready before you go in. I would take that extra month and just be sure of myself than to go in and take a chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your feedback. That's exactly how I'm feeling right now. Because I'm cramming I'm now allowing my brain to fully absorb everything I'm learning. I took a practice exam this morning and forgot how to do even the simplest calculations. I'm pretty hard on myself too so I'm scared that if I do really bad it might take me awhile to get back to it and I'm applying this cycle so trying to get my application ready will be another challenge. Do you mind if I ask how long after your first attempt did you retake your second one and did you get the score you wanted the second time around?

I agree with mardr2b that you definitely should not go into the test if you are not ready. However I don't think it's possible to ever feel 100% ready for a test like this. What have you been scoring on your practice tests? What scores do you aim to get?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure you can't push it back? It seems strange that they would have a cut off date of when you could take the DAT.

It took me 6 months to get back to studying and then another 6 months to actually have the strength and will power to sit down and study hard core without getting overwhelmed. I have been studying for a while and I read all these breakdowns and some people need only 4 weeks and others 3-4 months so to each is own. I'm planning to retake my DAT in mid June so i'm preparing now. don't go in with the attitude that you can retake go in and be as ready as you can be. I didn't put a date on my test because the date will make me anxious and if i get anxious I start to forget, so when I see that my scores on practice tests are where I want them to be I will book the exam.
I think if you relax and just say ok I didn't prepare in time let me take a little more time and make sure I know this it will benefit you.

Have you taken any practice tests? If you think a 19 AA is possible then go for it. If you think a 17 AA is more likely, I would hold off and eat the money.

If you don't take it on the 22nd, will you still have to wait 3 months to reschedule another one?

I agree with mardr2b, I had the same experience. So I kept pushing my DAT cause I knew I wasn't ready and when the final date came up (I believe you are limited to 6 month to take your DAT), I was pressured to take the DAT (many people told me you won't be fully be prepared for it 100%) and yes its the money too, I didn't want to waste it; but inside I was shaky and taking the DAT while suffering from Sandy, it took its toll and I did poorly. After, I thought it was just impossible. But I was determined and I took more science courses to better my science background and GPA, and I studied harder to take it for the second time, making sure I knew the organic mechanisms, concepts for the chem, and common pathways in bio (I know its a lot, but keep at it and keep doing problems and believe me it will stick). Then, I took practice tests every Saturday before a month of my second scheduled DAT (total of 4). Don't worry about the scores here, just take it as a guide to make improvements of your studies and weaknesses and it will truly help you with your stamina and timing. So even if my practice exams were not comfortable scores 18's-2o's, I was more confident and I knew I was more prepared. Never get stuck in the standards of studying for the DAT for 2-3 months, while this is the common study period, I truly believe that everybody is different and only you can determine if you are prepared. Good luck

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I think when it comes down to it you'll never feel prepared and the hardest part is scheduling a date and then finding time to actually sit down and study for it. You are limited to 6 months from the time you pay for the exam. That's why I kept holding off. I think at this point I just have to be optimistic about it and I've already paid for it so I should just take it and do my best. At least I'll know what to expect and if I have to retake it again I'll know how to better study for it, and it sounds like most people have taken it more than once. I'll have to wait 3 months to retake it again but I made sure not to take any summer classes so I'll have time to focus on my studies. As far as prep for this, I read through all of AP Cliffs Biology, skimming through sections of Chad's videos and I've only done a few practice tests on Bootcamp and Qvault. I have the DAT Destroyer but didn't get very far on that. My weakness is the Chemistry section right now so trying to focus on that more and I think just continuing to do practice tests and going over to review what I missed is going to be my best option at this point. I think we all are so hard on ourselves, and test anxiety gets the best of us. Thank you all again for the feedback. Wish me luck and regardless of how I do I'm going to keep a positive attitude. Good luck to everyone with your studies.

Be SURE you go through all of Chad's videos at least once before your test... If you can only pick one, I personally think it is more important to go through them than it is through the Destroyer.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay.

Relax. Don't doubt yourself. You say you've been studying on and off for 6 months, at least some information must have soaked in. You've read cliffs, so right now, given the time you have to study/prepare for it (1 day now?) I suggest just forgetting about studying Bio because it is just so in depth, and focus on things you can improve at a higher rate in the short amount of time. At least, going into this, know Glycolysis, Krebs, Calvin Cycle, Mitosis, Meiosis, Genetics, some DNA, the general stuff, but other than that, learning the specifics will take some time, which you do not have right now.

For Chem/Ochem, go through Chad's videos on fastplay. Take the quizzes afterwards. Don't passively sit there absorbing the information. Know what he is saying and how it relates to the topics on the DATs. For QR, there's nothing you can do but know the basic trig identities. For RC, again, nothing you can do. For PAT, nothing you can do. Focus on Chem/Ochem and try to make the best out of a not-so-good situation.

As for your first post, It's a bit late to say this, but never go into a testing room with the mentality that you can always retake it. You will repeat the same mistakes as you did the first time and then you will regret it. Always put in your best effort so you knock it out the first time and never have to worry about it again.

Good luck.

Thank you for your feedback. That's exactly how I'm feeling right now. Because I'm cramming I'm now allowing my brain to fully absorb everything I'm learning. I took a practice exam this morning and forgot how to do even the simplest calculations. I'm pretty hard on myself too so I'm scared that if I do really bad it might take me awhile to get back to it and I'm applying this cycle so trying to get my application ready will be another challenge. Do you mind if I ask how long after your first attempt did you retake your second one and did you get the score you wanted the second time around?
Take it, you'll kill it. Trust me. It's much easier than any dat achiever practice test, I was getting 16's and 15's on those. I got a 20 on my real dat, took it yesterday btw so I'm really happy about that since I was expecting a 16/15. :) good luck.

Are you sure you can't push it back? It seems strange that they would have a cut off date of when you could take the DAT.
Emit, the cutoff date is there. I signed up to take the dat last year and didn't know about the cutoff date, and I ended up expiring my dentpin. I called the Ada and they extended it 60 days for me luckily.