Taking the MCAT on Saturday...Just did poorly on AAMC 11...HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got through with AAMC 11, and it went horribly...particularly the PS section. VR was run of the mill, and BS, while noticeably more experimental and slightly more difficult, was not too surprising. That PS section though...It killed me. Nothing was exceptionally difficult. It was just a lot of moderately difficult problems that made timing a huge issue for me. I ended up having to blindly guess on 3 problems and half-guessing on many more. I ended up with a 37/52 = 9. My overall score was a 33 (9, 11, 13). This was my worst AAMC PS performance to date, and I am worried. I am taking the real thing this Saturday. What can I expect? What should I do?

POSSIBLE EXPLANATION:

I did take double my regular dose of caffeine before this one. perhaps that had something to do with it...I expected to be able to think more rapidly, but I ended up feeling stimulated to the point of actually being SLOWER. The linear growth of my subsection scores during this exam would indicate that I was impaired in the beginning (when the stimulant effect was at its peak). This could have just been a placebo effect though.

Good thing I experimented with dosing before the real thing!

This is my full score progression on AAMC: 33, 33, 33*, 37, 34*, 38*, 35, 33
* R-version

Average= 34.5 (11.125, 11.25, 12.125)

Members don't see this ad.

OP, idk if using the old models of exam is the most helpful in calculating a conservative average for you since their templates aren't the same. And, anyone can have a bad test. I got a 26 on AAMC11 3 days before my MCAT and scored a 30 on the real deal. Don't let one test wig you out, breathe.

OP, idk if using the old models of exam is the most helpful in calculating a conservative average for you since their templates aren't the same. And, anyone can have a bad test. I got a 26 on AAMC11 3 days before my MCAT and scored a 30 on the real deal. Don't let one test wig you out, breathe.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. What I actually did was use the corresponding CBT scales when grading my R exams, as in I only counted the 52/40/52 questions out of the 77/60/77 that constituted the corresponding CBT exam. I'm not sure if this is legitimate, but it seemed fair at the time.