Taking time off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmJean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm entering my senior year in college, and am seriously considering doing a post-bac program and then (hopefully) med school. My question is, do people ever take time off during their residencies? I calculate that by the time I'm finished with my residency I'll be in my mid-thirties. What if I want to have kids before this? Does anyone ever take the time off to do that?

Thanks to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Miss Wisconsin, one of those child prodigy types, graduated from UW-Green Bay at a young age and started med school, and after doing the whole Miss Wisconsin thing, she was allowed to delay her surgical residency for a year. So it's not unheard of...but then again, how do you say no to Miss Wisconsin?

Or something like that. The details may be foggy, but that's sorta how it happened.

Depending on what type of residency you do, it's possible to have a child in the last 2 years of residency only because your schedule is less demanding. (You aren't on call as much as when you're a first year res)

If you're really concerned, try checking the forum mommd.com There are a lot of threads in their forum devoted to similar topics.

I know people who've had kids during residency. Since there are blocks (a month in the ER, a month in ICU, for example) you can take off a few blocks to give birth and recover, then just add the time onto the end and finish a few months "late". You probably can't take off for very long, though.