Tandem and Ring brachytherapy for Cervical Cancer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radonc22

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys/gals use packing (to push the rectum posteriorly) when using a Tandem and Ring for cervical cancer brachytherapy? I know that you do for Tandem and Ovoid but my question is for Tandem and Ring.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, we do. In my opinion it helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys/gals use packing (to push the rectum posteriorly) when using a Tandem and Ring for cervical cancer brachytherapy? I know that you do for Tandem and Ovoid but my question is for Tandem and Ring.
Usually, I don't. I use posterior vaginal paddle that comes with the Nucletron T&R set.

Usually, I don't. I use posterior vaginal paddle that comes with the Nucletron T&R set.

That's what I've seen too. What about anterior packing for the bladder? With tandem and ovoids we would pack anteriorly to the ovoids to move the bladder more anteriorly but I don't believe there's an anterior paddle with the Tandem and Ring.

Last edited:
I don't put anything anteriorly. I guess you can try packing if not satisfied with placement.

We also use the Vienna Ring set from Nucletron. The "rectal retractor" is really useful in my opinion too and diminishes the need for packing posteriorly, however we still pack sideways and anteriorly. This is to limit the dose to vaginal wall which otherwise would come in direct contact with the applicators. You do want to treat (at least) the upper third of the vagina in most cases and below the ring you usually get extremely high mucosal doses if you don't pack (in my opinion).