Tattoos and Government Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychBoxe

Postdoctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any jobs in the field of psychology that are discriminatory towards individuals with tattoos. I have several tattoos (two are on my forearms), but can be concealed with a long sleeve shirt. I was wondering if places, such as the VA have regulations that include no tattoos. Any help would be great, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if there are any jobs in the field of psychology that are discriminatory towards individuals with tattoos. I have several tattoos (two are on my forearms), but can be concealed with a long sleeve shirt. I was wondering if places, such as the VA have regulations that include no tattoos. Any help would be great, thank you!

I don't know about VAs specifically, but in general I think visible tattoos are considered unprofessional in more conservative companies/geographic areas. For example, my company's HQ are in Atlanta and staff here cannot have visible tattoos, but in our California office people can get away with it.

Well remember that VA's higher former military frequently, which usually means tattoos can be more common than you think. I think that there is no policy other than the visible tattoos cannot be offensive, so if you have a swastika tatted on your forehead, you probably might run afoul of policy but if it's not on your hands or face and could be covered with a long sleeve shirt/normal business attire, I believe that you should be good to go.

The military is the same way, they will not accept tattoos on the face, neck, or hands. Otherwise, as long as they are not offensive, they are good to go although I believe that full sleeve tattoos are now prohibited. On interviews, I would keep my tattoos concealed if possible, as you will find that discrimination exists everywhere for a variety of reasons... even your tattoos, the bad shoes you chose for the interview, or just bad taste (subjective) in personal grooming (e.g. a handlebar mustache).

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not 100% sure, but one rule of thumb is that no tattoo hidden or visible indicates membership in a gang or hate group etc. This doubles as a good recommendation for life in general.

I'm going to have to disagree with that. My tattoo honoring my mother, grandmother, and grandfather does not have anything to do with a gang or hate group. In fact, they are quite the opposite. I'm not sure how that would double for a good recommendation for life in general...

None of my tattoos are visible and I have never had a problem at work at an inpatient psych hospital as a counselor. People know that I have them. However, I have never had a government job.

Thanks for all of the insight, it is good to know that I have one less thing to worry about in five years haha

Thanks for all of the insight, it is good to know that I have one less thing to worry about in five years haha

yeah i wouldn't worry about it. i have two huge tattoo's on my upper arm, one on my wrist and one on my back. i'm sure my half sleeve will be done by the time i'm done grad school and i don't really think it will get in the way of getting a job as long as i make a point to keep it covered when it's time to be professional.

Not 100% sure, but one rule of thumb is that no tattoo hidden or visible indicates membership in a gang or hate group etc. This doubles as a good recommendation for life in general.

Then how am I supposed to indicate my membership in a gang or hate group?

Jobs don't discriminate, people do. It will completely depend upon the particular job and who interviews you I'm sure.

I am covered in tattoos from my knuckles through my chest/stomach and have had my fair share of discriminatory experiences. People care less and less it seems over the years, and it depends on your geographic location. I just look at it as a reason to work even harder to be exceptional.

I had previously looked into employment with the FBI or CIA, neither of which have policies excluding your employment due to your tattoos. Times are changing, more and more people have tattoos. The content of your tattoos, if visible, will probably matter however.

Just my 2 cents.