Tbr acid/base

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akimhaneul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Confused about this question. I thought strong base and acid always create more ions in solution? Answer is d

ImageUploadedBySDN1471057885.343375.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN1471057899.108877.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN1471057910.176330.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I am not 100% sure, but since no one else has replied I will try to help. Let's go through each of the answer choices:
A. KOH is a strong base, but KOAc is a weak base.
B. KOH is a strong base, but KOAc is a weak base.
C. KOH is a strong base and thus dissociates into K+ and OH-. KOAc is a ionic compound and will dissociate into K+ and OAc-.
D. I really do not know what this option is saying but since I think A, B, and C are incorrect, I'd pick D as my answer.

Confused about this question. I thought strong base and acid always create more ions in solution? Answer is d

You're confused because you don't understand your point of reference. "More ions" than what? Than weak acids and bases? Sure. But here, you're not comparing weak acids/bases with strong acids/bases. You're comparing electrolyte strength. In other words, KOAc and KOH will both dissociate into K+ and -OAc/-OH ions in solution and to a similar extent. You're assessing how well the salts of two bases dissolve in solution, not the strength of the bases themselves.