Tell them, or not to tell them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whiterose1897

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have finished my interviews and I know which program I want to choose first. Is it wise to email the program and tell them they are my number one choice? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I have finished my interviews and I know which program I want to choose first. Is it wise to email the program and tell them they are my number one choice? Thank you

Tell them. The only email worth sending in this process is the #1 ranking email. It may have no effect, may have a positive effect, but most certainly will not have a negative effect. Programs want the best candidates, but they also want to match the candidates most enthusiastic about coming to their program and avoid matching someone who maybe didn't want to attend but matched because they fell down far on their list. I'd talk to your closest derm mentor about this. Sometimes if they have a friend/colleague at that program they can help scope out the best way to do this and / or do this for you while again advocating for how awesome you are.

The sooner the better. Don't wait if u really have made up your mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Tell them. The only email worth sending in this process is the #1 ranking email. It may have no effect, may have a positive effect, but most certainly will not have a negative effect. Programs want the best candidates, but they also want to match the candidates most enthusiastic about coming to their program and avoid matching someone who maybe didn't want to attend but matched because they fell down far on their list. I'd talk to your closest derm mentor about this. Sometimes if they have a friend/colleague at that program they can help scope out the best way to do this and / or do this for you while again advocating for how awesome you are.

The sooner the better. Don't wait if u really have made up your mind.

agree. dont bother with the "i'm ranking you highly" email for other programs. also dont be surprised if the response is something neutral/no reply at all. not a bad thing, some programs just have a policy against saying anything pre-match.

Reactions: 1 user