Tell me about Stanford, UCSF, NYU, Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweatybrain

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some info about these programs. I have some opinions, but would like to talk to someone with more insights as my initial impressions may or may not be correct.

Thank you in advance. Feel free to PM me if you are not comfortable posting publicly.

Members don't see this ad.

I need some info about these programs. I have some opinions, but would like to talk to someone with more insights as my initial impressions may or may not be correct.

Thank you in advance. Feel free to PM me if you are not comfortable posting publicly.

These programs are average at best. If you really want to become the best dermatologist you can be, then you want to shoot for Montana, North Dakota or Alaska. They see some extreme skin conditions up there, due mainly to the higher positron/neutrino quotient caused by the solar shockwaves emitted by the Aurora Borealis, or so it has been postulated.

You can be the first to elucidate this pathway!!

Yes, this one time in Fargo, I heard about a patient with zero vitamin D level.

All joking aside, I'm mostly interested in the weaknesses of the programs mentioned above. I know they are all great programs. Just trying to decide which one is "less great" for what I want to do career-wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately I don't have much to add as I wasn't the caliber of student that could get an interview at places like that.

But if you've truly interviewed at those places, I'd say there really won't be anything limiting you "career-wise" no matter which program you choose and where you ultimately end up. This might be one of those rare times where it might be helpful to look at the other factors that one normally wouldn't think to consider when applying for derm: cost-of-living, proximity to family, location perhaps? Although for someone as weak-spirited as me, I'd probably consider NY to be too cold and omit Boston altogether :)

sweatybrain...you are very well-qualified...you don't need help from random people on snd to know about these places...talk to people you know in derm.

I interviewed at all four programs and all of them are excellent programs but they are not the only excellent programs for someone interested in basic science. I'm interested in academics myself and so this was a huge part of my consideration in where I wanted to go. Why don't you PM me for the gory details. It would be interesting to see what questions you asked of them in the interviews.