Terminal Surgeries in Veterinary Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

battie

U. Illinois
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This topic has come up now and then on whether or not a school has terminal surgeries, and if so is the terminal surgery required to graduate. This thread is to provide that information. As always, contact the schools for the most up to date info.

I'll go first. Illinois hasn't had terminal surgery for a long time.

Members don't see this ad.

No terminal surgeries at Virginia-Maryland :)

None at Michigan State. We have to do a spay or neuter though. Usually on a shelter dog. Who wakes up and happily leaves, lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As of 2018, U of Calgary had one terminal surgery in second year - a cystotomy on a pig. I cannot speak to whether this is still ongoing or if it is mandatory in order to continue in the program.

As of 2019, UMN had 1. It is not mandatory and only some students even encounter it, it’s part of a specific rotation.

I did do it and tbh it was one of the best learning experiences I had in vet school.

Reactions: 4 users
CSU’s class of 2023 was the last class to have the option to do terminal surgery electives in third year. One was on pigs, the other was on sheep and cows. These electives have now been, um, terminated.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Terminal surgeries only on sheep in an elective course at Purdue, I believe. There might be some other large animal terminal surgeries in other electives.

Question for current students/applicants: do you view a lack of terminal surgery labs as a mostly positive, or mostly negative?

Reactions: 1 user
Question for current students/applicants: do you view a lack of terminal surgery labs as a mostly positive, or mostly negative?
Graduated a year ago.

It's a neutral position to me. The pros and cons will vary person to person. On one hand, vets decades ago came out of vet school having done a ton of surgeries. Now most people do a lot of surgeries are done the first time on a client owned animal. Likewise, terminal surgeries are a weird ethical grey area of purposely harming animals for the sake of experience.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter since eventually no vet school will have them. It's just where the profession is headed with its education curricula.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a terminal lab at NCSU on pigs when I graduated in '16. Enterotomy, gastrotomy, splenectomy, I think cystotomy. It was definitely one of the best learning experiences in vet school for me. The pigs were part of an arthritis/joint study and they were euth'd without waking from anesthesia and the limbs taken for histopath/etc.

One of our interns who graduated '21 says she did not do the lab, but I'm uncertain if that was because of COVID or because it no longer exists.

Reactions: 6 users
i'm a current student - just starting second year - and personally comfortable without terminal surgery labs. we had terminal clinical skills labs in my vet tech school, and those didn't sit well with me.

We had a terminal lab at NCSU on pigs when I graduated in '16. Enterotomy, gastrotomy, splenectomy, I think cystotomy. It was definitely one of the best learning experiences in vet school for me. The pigs were part of an arthritis/joint study and they were euth'd without waking from anesthesia and the limbs taken for histopath/etc.

One of our interns who graduated '21 says she did not do the lab, but I'm uncertain if that was because of COVID or because it no longer exists.
2018 NCSU CVM grad here. We also completed terminal swine labs prior to my graduation. I personally found them very helpful, as these were likely the only exposure most students were going to get with advanced procedures (where the student is the primary surgeon) prior to graduation. Given vet med's lack of a requirement for residency prior to practicing, I hold the opinion that terminal procedures have an important place in a vet student's education. I'm grateful that this was available to me during my training. I'll also mention that many medical trainees also complete terminal swine labs as part of their advanced surgical training. I completed an externship at an academic facility that also housed a medical school. Lab animal veterinarians managed the swine anesthesia, while attending trauma surgeons induced various abdominal wounds outside of eyeshot of the residents. The residents' task was then to quickly assess the location of the injury, and successful repair the lesions- under a time pressure. These labs were intense. The pigs were well cared for, and the trauma residents gained excellent exposure to real world scenarios. A win-win in my book. Just another perspective to consider. If I were on the faculty of a veterinary school, I would push hard to continue the inclusion of these labs in the curriculum for the reasons I mentioned.

Reactions: 5 users
As a student, I was worried and uncomfortable about the amount of live surgical experience I was graduating with. Post graduation, I think I worried for nothing. But I was also well supported at my first job and we can't consider that to be a given for all new grads.

I don't necessarily think terminal surgeries are the answer, but I do think the fact that at least in my class you could hypothetically graduate with your only live surgery being a single dog neuter was less than ideal. Sure, most students graduated with a few more than that--but you had to find those opportunities yourself because they weren't built in to the curriculum.

It’s interesting to hear how other schools do things.

We’ve had cadaver labs to learn basic skills and had our first spays (on shelter and owned dogs and cats) at the end of 2nd year. We’re all required to rotate through community practice and shelter med during clinics (6 weeks total) where we have the opportunity to do many spays and neuters. I don’t feel uncomfortable with the amount of live animal surgery experience we get, but I’m also not intending on going into small animal practice of any sort (or really do anything surgical if I can help it). I hope the only surgeries I’ll be doing are horse castrations, enucleations, and minor laceration repairs. The small animal trackers at my school may feel differently though :shrug:

We didn’t have any terminal surgeries at AVC when I graduated in 2015. We got to do one spay and one neuter each (dog or cat, depending on what the shelter had/needed) in third year; anything else depended on your rotations (number of students, cases available, away rotation selections, etc.) I think you can build your experience on your own without too much effort, but like mentioned above I think the more guided/supervised experience the better.

The idea that animals are produced/raised to (humanely) die isn’t new to the world of vet med - food-producing animals and animals used for research are the two big ones that come to mind. I know it’s not mentally palatable to think of it in such stark terms, but the concept is essentially the same. I know there has been a lot of work into animal models for surgical procedures for students, which is great, but I think terminal surgeries have their place, at least for now. I do think they should be elective for students, though.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s interesting to hear how other schools do things.

We’ve had cadaver labs to learn basic skills and had our first spays (on shelter and owned dogs and cats) at the end of 2nd year. We’re all required to rotate through community practice and shelter med during clinics (6 weeks total) where we have the opportunity to do many spays and neuters. I don’t feel uncomfortable with the amount of live animal surgery experience we get, but I’m also not intending on going into small animal practice of any sort (or really do anything surgical if I can help it). I hope the only surgeries I’ll be doing are horse castrations, enucleations, and minor laceration repairs. The small animal trackers at my school may feel differently though :shrug:

For what it's worth, I don't think I would have been uncomfortable with the experience you describe.

I graduated having done a single dog spay, half of a cat spay, and a handful of neuters. So I'd been in the abdomen of a live animal as a primary surgeon a grand total of twice and that was a scary prospect as someone going into small animal GP and planning to do surgery. I could have graduated without ever doing a spay at all and actually almost did.

I tried to set up externships where they'd allow me to do surgery but they didn't go quite as planned.

There was an elective community spay/neuter rotation--but even before covid (which made it worse) there generally weren't enough spaces for everybody who wanted to take that rotation because it was so popular.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
This is an animal rights activists dream thread. They can view this thread, see what schools people mention still do terminal surgeries then focus on harassing those schools.

I'm not going to give them knowledge.

This is an animal rights activists dream thread. They can view this thread, see what schools people mention still do terminal surgeries then focus on harassing those schools.

Our current state is an animal rights dream. Compared to twenty years ago, there are close to no terminal surgeries and the ones still hanging by a thread in curricula are on research or food producing animals (which we raise and slaughter en masse for, well, bacon). They've pretty much achieved their goals, ha. Obviously there are loftier ones for research animals in the general animal rights discussion, but pretty much every veterinary school that does research is going to be a target there.

AVAR (association of vets for animal rights... now melded with HSVMA) literally used to have a chart on their website that said whether terminal surgeries were or weren't performed at a particular school. I'm sure they just asked the schools +/- posing as a prospective vet student.

I think that there is value in having that information available for prospective students and when the only resource was historically one from a very negative source, that is much worse.

Reactions: 5 users
I say that coming from a very pro- terminal surgery perspective. I think there are very respectful way to perform these labs and I'm so glad that I dealt with my first surgical complication in that setting (had a ligature slip in my pig splenectomy... boarded surgeon standing by to help if I needed, but we dealt with it on our own) and it was a definite boon the first time I had a pedicle tear on me in a client animal.

We're never going to make true animal rights activists happy just with our field in general, so I don't try haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Our current state is an animal rights dream. Compared to twenty years ago, there are close to no terminal surgeries and the ones still hanging by a thread in curricula are on research or food producing animals (which we raise and slaughter en masse for, well, bacon). They've pretty much achieved their goals, ha. Obviously there are loftier ones for research animals in the general animal rights discussion, but pretty much every veterinary school that does research is going to be a target there.

AVAR (association of vets for animal rights... now melded with HSVMA) literally used to have a chart on their website that said whether terminal surgeries were or weren't performed at a particular school. I'm sure they just asked the schools +/- posing as a prospective vet student.

I think that there is value in having that information available for prospective students and when the only resource was historically one from a very negative source, that is much worse.
I made this thread in response to an animal rights veterinarian claiming on the APVMA Facebook page that all but 3 schools perform terminal surgeries as required coarse work. When peeps would respond that x school does not have terminal surgeries, she would ask when this changed if the person knew. She obviously had very outdated information she was spreading to prospective students.

Moreover, animal rights activists won't ever stop attacking universities or vet med colleges as a whole. My school gets FOIA'd yearly by PETA for the information on care for the research animals, including a farm dog that protects our fish ponds living his best life.

My goal was for this information to be out there for pre-vets to have from primary sources rather than people like this veterinarian spreading outdated information (whether knowingly or not).

Reactions: 8 users
association of vets for animal rights... now melded with HSVMA
Sidebar:

This is also a super underhanded trick by the animal rights activists. Activists essentially hijacked the name of "humane society" to cover their BS so the average person doesn't connect they're supporting an animal rights group. And it super irritates me. /rant

Cornell does not have terminal surgeries in their core curriculum. I know of one large animal elective class, however, that did have a single terminal surgery lab.

I'm an applicant so I can't speak on personal experience. I have worked with a good handful of vets, young and old, that are upset by the loss of terminal surgical opportunities. I worked with 3 new grads (like had graduated the month I met them) and they said they felt incompetent in their ability to perform a surgery other than a spay/neuter and simple mass removal. This had a significant negative impact on their confidence, and one was ready to leave the field within months. I know that is not entirely unusual, but I do wonder if the lack of terminal surgeries, or heck just hand on surgical experience outside of routine things, is affecting veterinary retention. These same veterinarians also said they got very limited tech skills in school, and I genuinely felt bad for their struggles as it was eating them up. They all three attended different schools. They're great veterinarians and I believe they have (as expected) settled in, but I did witness firsthand why so many leave to work for the USDA, public health, or labs.

Reactions: 3 users