Test registration dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AngelEyes1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am applying to medical school this year. Please don't tell me it's late in the application cycle and try to convince me to wait until next year...I'm aware of this and am set on applying this year.

The problem is, I waited very late to register for the MCAT (I wasn't sure whether I'd be ready to take the test this year but I think I will be). Then I had to wait even longer because I'm broke and wanted to apply for the Fee Assistance Program and I was waiting to get the fee waiver to register.

I found out today that I was rejected from FAP. Now, all of the test sites in my city are closed. There were seats at sites in surrounding areas but they slowly disappeared as we'll (I didn't take one because I was still waiting on FAP and didn't want to pay because they don't refund your money if you get FAP after you pay to register.

So now they only reasonable place I can take the test is in a city two hours away by bus. However, I saw yesterday that a slot/slots had re-opened in my city for the November 7th exam. (I didn't take this slot for the aforementioned reason). So my question is this: should I register for the test at the site that is two hours away, before it fills up also (there are two sites listed as available in this city) or should I wait to see whether something re-opens in my city or a closer location like it did yesterday? (apparently people sometimes cancel, since that site for the November 7th test in my city had been closed for weeks and it magically re-appeared as available yesterday).

To complicate matters, I broke my ankle, have a cast on my leg and cannot put any weight on that side. I'm using a wheelchair. The cast is scheduled to come off/I should be able to walk by early-mid October (the available test date at the site two hours away is on October 21 so it's cutting it kind of close) but who knows for sure?

So what to do- take the sure thing or wait and hope for a more reasonable location?

Sorry for being so verbose and thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're set on taking the test this cycle, you have no choice but to register for the site 2 hours away. Sites rarely open up, especially when it is so close to the approaching test dates. What you could do is wait until Sept 1 for the scores to come out for people who took the test August 1 (I believe) and see if they cancel their spots near/ in your home town.