Texas A&M CoP professor placed on leave for criticizing a politician then reinstated after they realized she did nothing wrong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CetiAlphaFive

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
TL;DR - she was guest lecturing at UTMB and one of the MS1s (who happens to be the daughter of a right wing politician) texted their mother to complain that Joy was allegedly talkin smack about Dan Patrick or his office's policies. Mom then calls up Dan Patrick, who in turn has his staff make contact with people at the University. The Good Ol' Boy dominoes start falling and before you know it Joy is placed on leave.
Seriously, read this article. It is absolutely shocking to see how this politician's office is straight up trying to silence dissent in our public universities. The messages between Dan Patrick's office and Sharp are absolutely horrifying.

However, it looks like Sharp is now potentially going to have to answer for his actions.

I think that Goerge Udeani's actions in appeasing UTMB were equally disgusting and cowardly.
(How the heck is this guy the Dean of a pharmacy college? Texas Pharmacist License # 51012.
"Allowed non-licensed employees to perform pharmacy technician duties"
"Stored and filled prescriptions in unsanitary conditions"
"Dispensed invalid prescriptions for controlled substances through an Internet-based mail-order system" )

What the heck is going on in our universities?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to know what she actually said.

TL;DR - she was guest lecturing at UTMB and one of the MS1s (who happens to be the daughter of a right wing politician) texted their mother to complain that Joy was allegedly talkin smack about Dan Patrick or his office's policies. Mom then calls up Dan Patrick, who in turn has his staff make contact with people at the University. The Good Ol' Boy dominoes start falling and before you know it Joy is placed on leave.
Seriously, read this article. It is absolutely shocking to see how this politician's office is straight up trying to silence dissent in our public universities. The messages between Dan Patrick's office and Sharp are absolutely horrifying.

However, it looks like Sharp is now potentially going to have to answer for his actions.

I think that Goerge Udeani's actions in appeasing UTMB were equally disgusting and cowardly.
(How the heck is this guy the Dean of a pharmacy college? Texas Pharmacist License # 51012.
"Allowed non-licensed employees to perform pharmacy technician duties"
"Stored and filled prescriptions in unsanitary conditions"
"Dispensed invalid prescriptions for controlled substances through an Internet-based mail-order system" )

What the heck is going on in our universities?
Nontenured faculty have no academic freedom rights.

People don't really understand how academic freedom actually works. It is narrowly limited to views held within professional bounds. So, for instance, I openly am against Random Drug Testing and dislike it for being discriminatory. It is a political position, but it is within the sort of work we do to express that. The reason I am against RDT is that I have always been in favor of Mandatory Policy-Based Testing, that there are clear policy guidelines for testing in response to events or situations.

Tenure allows me to openly hold that heterodox view without retaliation from the faculty. But, before you are tenured, you cannot hold those sorts of positions openly. At my university, it is openly said to tenure-track NOT to be open with political affiliation or membership until after tenure. I know several faculty who had issues with promotion due to espousing beliefs that the elder tenure faculty despised.

Academic freedom does not allow me to say that our war in the Ukraine is a waste of money as it is outside my academic expertise. The schools of journalism, international relations, and law would have that freedom to express that view without work retaliation, but I have no defense in the Academic Health Center if I expressed the view, and it became a problem.

This person has no tenure and is at will. She'd better be careful about what positions she takes as she has no defense if someone makes it a problem. That's just the way it is, unfortunately.

But even I have to watch it to make sure that if I make a political expression, that it either is within my professional bounds or I am clearly not acting as an academician.

This is not unusual for work. If you work for the Feds in either Uniform or Civilian capacities, there are actual limits on political speech as well as a universal prohibition on fundraising in any capacity (you can't sell Girl Scout Cookies as a Fed). And while technically, it is possible to sell Girl Scout Cookies in a private capacity, you are not allowed to sell them to anyone you know on a professional basis or fundraise from them due to the Pendleton Act.

For those who have a job with policy-determining ability, your speech is very much curtailed. I actually have to clear outside organizational activities with two offices at work due to it.

What we do to get paid around here. Everyone can say whatever they want as a natural right, but the right against retaliation from that speech is much more limited than the propaganda around the First Amendment implies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

People don't really understand how academic freedom actually works. It is narrowly limited to views held within professional bounds. So, for instance, I openly am against Random Drug Testing and dislike it for being discriminatory. It is a political position, but it is within the sort of work we do to express that. The reason I am against RDT is that I have always been in favor of Mandatory Policy-Based Testing, that there are clear policy guidelines for testing in response to events or situations.

Tenure allows me to openly hold that heterodox view without retaliation from the faculty. But, before you are tenured, you cannot hold those sorts of positions openly. At my university, it is openly said to tenure-track NOT to be open with political affiliation or membership until after tenure. I know several faculty who had issues with promotion due to espousing beliefs that the elder tenure faculty despised.

Academic freedom does not allow me to say that our war in the Ukraine is a waste of money as it is outside my academic expertise. The schools of journalism, international relations, and law would have that freedom to express that view without work retaliation, but I have no defense in the Academic Health Center if I expressed the view, and it became a problem.

This person has no tenure and is at will. She'd better be careful about what positions she takes as she has no defense if someone makes it a problem. That's just the way it is, unfortunately.

But even I have to watch it to make sure that if I make a political expression, that it either is within my professional bounds or I am clearly not acting as an academician.

This is not unusual for work. If you work for the Feds in either Uniform or Civilian capacities, there are actual limits on political speech as well as a universal prohibition on fundraising in any capacity (you can't sell Girl Scout Cookies as a Fed). And while technically, it is possible to sell Girl Scout Cookies in a private capacity, you are not allowed to sell them to anyone you know on a professional basis or fundraise from them due to the Pendleton Act.

For those who have a job with policy-determining ability, your speech is very much curtailed. I actually have to clear outside organizational activities with two offices at work due to it.

What we do to get paid around here. Everyone can say whatever they want as a natural right, but the right against retaliation from that speech is much more limited than the propaganda around the First Amendment implies.
I really enjoy these forums, for all the insight provided by fellow pharmacist, in areas I have never seen or experienced, never will!
Who would have thunk academia, and Fed jobs, would be so (can't find the words!) interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
I really enjoy these forums, for all the insight provided by fellow pharmacist, in areas I have never seen or experienced, never will!
Who would have thunk academia, and Fed jobs, would be so (can't find the words!) interesting.
There are so many layers of "interesting" that would make most minds blow when it comes to fed jobs!

Reactions: 1 users

Very interesting! I had no clue.