Texas: Applying OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoadRunner17

Fleet of feet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my friends from Texas told me that I should consider applying to the medical schools in the University of Texas system.. he's a MS1 at UTSA now, and I was wondering if anyone knew more about the TMDSAS and how it works for OOS applicants, that would be useful. I always assumed that they took very few non-Texans, but would like to know more about how the whole thing works.

I'm already considering the list of schools that I will be applying to in the next cycle, and I figured I would just throw it out there and see just how big of a chance OOS applicants have in Texas' system.

Members don't see this ad.

I say go for it. I'm from Missouri and I applied to 2 Texas schools and have so far received an interview to one of them. Granted, if you look at the MSAR, the odds look slim... which they really are b/c of the Texas law that only 10% of a class can be OOS. PM me if you want to know more.

Honestly, people say it's hard to get into Texas schools OOS, but paying $85 for 5 schools to apply to, I'd say it's a pretty good deal. That doesn't even cover GWU's secondary, and I guarantee you that you'll have worse chances there. :D

Go for it! Just realize that it is a separate app. I would highly recommend that you do your TMDSAS app first (well, at least the essay), because the TMDSAS essay can easily be adapted for AMCAS, but not the other way around.

Members don't see this ad :)
TMDSAS isn't accepting any more applications for this cycle, it closed October 1st.

If you're talking about applying for a later cycle, then I certainly recommend it. Although the 10% seems daunting, if you're qualified (by the standards of an out of state student applying to a public school), then you have a decent shot. Especially if you have ties to the state.

If you're OOS, the base rate is $100 to open the application instead of $55. Additional schools past one cost $10 each, not including any potential secondary fees.

I did my AMCAS essay before TMDSAS and didn't find it hard to adapt... but since you're so early in the game, you wanna get TMDSAS done first since it opens first in the cycle...

Also, like the above post says... its more than 85 bucks for 5 schools since you're OOS... mine cost 110 for 2. But, having said that, I had no secondary fees for them... which is probably the nicest thing ever since adding 2 more schools on AMCAS would have been 60 plus 2 secondaries which would probably be 150 together... how much of a rip off is this process?

TMDSAS isn't accepting any more applications for this cycle, it closed October 1st.

If you're talking about applying for a later cycle, then I certainly recommend it. Although the 10% seems daunting, if you're qualified (by the standards of an out of state student applying to a public school), then you have a decent shot. Especially if you have ties to the state.

If you're OOS, the base rate is $100 to open the application instead of $55. Additional schools past one cost $10 each, not including any potential secondary fees.

He's applying next cycle.

Oops, forgot about the price difference. Still a damn good deal.

I always see "close ties to state" - does that include going to UT as an undergrad? I went to UT OOS as an undergrad, but never got TX residency. :(

Hook 'Em!!!

I always see "close ties to state" - does that include going to UT as an undergrad? I went to UT OOS as an undergrad, but never got TX residency. :(

Hook 'Em!!!

Sure, that's a tie, although I don't know if it's a close one. Better than nothing, though. Others include some family living in Texas or growing up there but moving to another state.

By the way, your MCAT score is very sick.

Hook 'Em!!!

UT is a great school and all by why would you go there and pay out of state tuition? Where are you from originally? Were you in McCombs?

"Close Ties" - Would this mean living there until age five and still having family members (uncle, cousin) there?

"Close Ties" - Would this mean living there until age five and still having family members (uncle, cousin) there?

Do you remember living there when you were 5?

Im not sure if living there as a toddler would count- in my case though I lived there for 15 years (Im only 20) and every one of my relatives besides my immediate family is there... so I will be applying to Texas schools for sure!