Texas Building Too Many Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is Texas building too many medical schools?

• Yes

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 62.2%

• Total voters

Cookie04

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Came across this recent article, and I was just curious about everyone else's opinion. What do you guys think about 3 additional schools in the next upcoming years for a total of 14-15 Texas medical schools?

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/loca...s-building-too-many-medical-schools/78919326/

Members don't see this ad.

What is "too many"? A doctor shortage means there is demand for more medical students and more medical schools increases supply

Reactions: 3 users
What is "too many"? A doctor shortage means there is demand for more medical students and more medical schools increases supply

Well in regards to the article, they mention that Texas is building too many medical schools and providing more medical students then Texas residency posititions can take on, and because of that, many Texas medical students are actually going to other states to continue their medical training and ultimately practice. Which in way could defeat the purpose of increasing Texas physicians.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know nothing Jon Snow

Reactions: 1 user
Physician shortage is a term thrown around by people who haven't spent 10 minutes considering the matter. There is a shortage in rural areas, and a surplus in big cities and "desirable areas." Unless these schools are forcing prospective med students to sign contracts that they will work in a rural area for 5-10 years after residency, opening more schools isn't going to solve the problem.

They will probably eventually build medical residency spots to retain them: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/fiscalnotes/pdf/SB00018F.pdf#navpanes=0

Theres already a Texas State law in place that says Texas must have 1.1 residency positions for every 1 medical school graduate in Texas.

There is not a "doctor" shortage. There is a primary care doctor shortage here in Texas, especially in rural areas.

Just because I didn't put a detailed answer doesn't mean I don't know about the situation. You guys jump to conclusions too soon. I know there is a geographical maldistribution of physicians in Texas, and the medical schools do have preferences for PCP in rural areas and PCP medical school loans are at lower rates. Also, telemedicine is another possible solution.

Should open more residencies. Also they try to recruit more residents actually interested in staying. Seems every resident I talk to continually hates on Texas and can't wait to leave