Texas dental schools (TAMU and UTHSCSA) as a Canadian applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent1010

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight on applying to Texas dental schools as a Canadian applicant? Success stories?

Considering the fact that they accept the Canadian DAT, this suggests that they do accept at least some Canadians. Are Canadians treated the same as all other OOS applicants in terms of interviews and acceptances? Or is it even more competitive?

If I applied at the deadline but am quite competitive will I have decent shot at an interview?

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know of a single Canadian applicant that has gotten into a Texas dental school DDS program. OOS students have a hard enough time getting accepted even with strong ties to Texas.

I’m sure the fact you’re a Canadian applicant will make it even more competitive than your average OOS applicant with strong ties to the state.

Reactions: 1 users
What exactly do you have that makes you so competitive?

Does anyone have any insight on applying to Texas dental schools as a Canadian applicant? Success stories?

Considering the fact that they accept the Canadian DAT, this suggests that they do accept at least some Canadians. Are Canadians treated the same as all other OOS applicants in terms of interviews and acceptances? Or is it even more competitive?

If I applied at the deadline but am quite competitive will I have decent shot at an interview?

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!
Texas dental school grad here back in the day. It is notoriously hard for OOS applicants to get admission. Mainly driven by state funding. There is some funding rule where at least 90-95% of the students need to be from TX.

I think out of our class of 100 students, maybe 2 were OOS? Even then they had spent the last 2-3 years living in Texas and had ties.

I will say that I met specialty residents that were OOS/international all the time during dental school though.

Reactions: 1 user