Texas Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swaamedic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the program at Texas Tech in El Paso? It seems off the beaten path and I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned here. Just scouting out the programs.

thx

Members don't see this ad.

swaamedic said:
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the program at Texas Tech in El Paso? It seems off the beaten path and I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned here. Just scouting out the programs.

thx
Yep no one talks about it. Ill give you the low down from people I know who interviewed there (I did not).

Good program, good training, location puts some people off. as Apollyon said BKN is the PD and he posts on here quite frequently. If he is as helpful in person as he is on the EM and Gen Res forums I dont think you could go wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
swaamedic said:

thx

Check out our web site: http://www.ttuhsc.edu/elpaso/som/em/

includes the curriculum, residency handbook and other stuff.

PM me or email me from the site if you have questions. Happy to be considered.

corpsmanUP said:
Houston has some bad apples

Hopefully you were not referring to me corpsman... ;)

Seriously though, I really liked TT-El Paso, but the wife did not like the city. Corpsman gave a pretty thorough description that I agree with, so I will not repeat what he said!

I did get to meet 2 SDNers in El Paso, including corpsman; although I must say the highlight of the interview season was getting to meet the infamous Quinn in Tampa!

EM Junkie said:
Hopefully you were not referring to me corpsman... ;)

Seriously though, I really liked TT-El Paso, but the wife did not like the city. Corpsman gave a pretty thorough description that I agree with, so I will not repeat what he said!

I did get to meet 2 SDNers in El Paso, including corpsman; although I must say the highlight of the interview season was getting to meet the infamous Quinn in Tampa!

I was referring to some of the faculty...not you my friend.

swaamedic said:

thx

I am one of the EM residents here in El Paso. Please see my review of the program on scutwork.com. If you have questions PM myself or BKN.

I rotated there as a fourth year and really liked it.

Specifically, I would like to know more about how much the residents hang out together and if they are happy. Also, how involved the faculty are with teaching?

Thanks!

I think your questions should be answered by a resident. Derek, you out there?

I think your questions should be answered by a resident. Derek, you out there?
Derek..... you out there????? (all she hears is an echo :( )

"Nauseating East Texas Accent" I guess my histories should come with a side of antiemetic. What up with that Corps? I guess we all have our pet peevs, like how I can't stand the east coast Attitude/Accent (east coast above the mason dixon that is) or that California "everywhere but orange county sucks" attitude. Aren't you from Texas corps?
Anyway, I thought Houston was okay, just in a state of flux, I agree with the Dallas statement, and and Temple was good, just in the middle of nowhere. Didn't interview at Tech as my wife says in her "Annoying Polish/Russian Accent" U vant ta liv in DEE deshurt, U must be Crazee.

Best Wishes

The Mish

Members don't see this ad :)
Scott and White is too "Cowboy"

Dude, enough with the Cowboy thing. I'm like the least cowboy person you can think of and I'm happy as can be at Scott & White. While there are certainly some conservative folks here (we are in Texas afterall), those of us who aren't are very comfortable here as well.

Take care,
Jeff

Of all the people I met at the TCEP (Texas College of Emergency Physicians) annual meeting this year who were from Scott & White, none were wearing ten gallon hats and cowboy boots. They were good down to earth people.

Of all the people I met at the TCEP (Texas College of Emergency Physicians) annual meeting this year who were from Scott & White, none were wearing ten gallon hats and cowboy boots. They were good down to earth people.

since when did boots and ten gallon hats become a bad thing?!? i find it refreshing when i see an attending or resident with chaps & spurs on, or tying his/her horse up to the bike rack.

tm

since when did boots and ten gallon hats become a bad thing?!? i find it refreshing when i see an attending or resident with chaps & spurs on, or tying his/her horse up to the bike rack.

tm

Best questions about being from TX
1. Do you have an oil well in your backyard?
2. Are you a cowboy?
3. Do you ride in a wagon to school?
4. The whole state is just a big desert right?
5. Is everyone from Tx a right winged conservative racist?

2. Are you a cowboy?

Come on, we know not all of you guys have oil wells.

mike

Come on, we know not all of you guys have oil wells.

mike

Well I did have a coyote howling outside my window last night . . . oh wait, that was a cat.:oops:

2. Are you a cowboy?

My favorite thing about being from Texas is that our Highway Patrol often drive trucks!

My favorite thing about being from Texas is that our Highway Patrol often drive trucks!

Are you picturing Chuck Norris in a Dodge Ram 4x4 ready to kick some tail! Get em Walker!

Are you picturing Chuck Norris in a Dodge Ram 4x4 ready to kick some tail! Get em Walker!

No, hes a Texas Ranger...they answer only directly to the Texas Governor.

Some of our actual highway patrol drive trucks... Here is a random pic from the net:
trooper_dial_140.jpg

chuck norris' tears are the cure for cancer, aids, and ebola. sadly, chuck norris has never cried.

tm

chuck norris' tears are the cure for cancer, aids, and ebola. sadly, chuck norris has never cried.

tm

:laugh: I love it! I never hear enough of these. We should start a chuck norris thread.

Theres nothing wrong with being a cowboy!

Theres nothing wrong with being a cowboy!

Is that an SMU football jersey on that kid? They could probably use him right now- Sorry, couldn't help it, TCU c/o 2002

Is that an SMU football jersey on that kid? They could probably use him right now- Sorry, couldn't help it, TCU c/o 2002

It's ok. We're horrible, but whats' new? However I must remind you that TCU lost to SMU last year. :laugh: :laugh:

It's ok. We're horrible, but whats' new? However I must remind you that TCU lost to SMU last year. :laugh: :laugh:

I have never been more disappointed in a one loss season!

Man, I feel really old. I remember when the ponies actually had a real football team.

The death penalty came sometime when I was at A&M.

Take care,
Jeff

Yeah F150’s, No state income taxes so they Ballance the budget with speeding tickets. 70 mph may seem fast back east but when you are driving or a road as strait as and arrow with nothing but sage brush as far as you can see even 90 mph feels slow.

Yeah F150’s, No state income taxes so they Ballance the budget with speeding tickets. 70 mph may seem fast back east but when you are driving or a road as strait as and arrow with nothing but sage brush as far as you can see even 90 mph feels slow.

No income tax?!? Where do they pull the money from? There definitely must be somewhere they will leech money from if I move there. (Maybe a tax on oxygen or something)

No income tax?!? Where do they pull the money from? There definitely must be somewhere they will leech money from if I move there. (Maybe a tax on oxygen or something)

property taxes and sales tax higher than most places. endless battles in the legislature over funding. lowest or next lowest medicaid and school support. but the roads get a separate lock box on gas taxes. Because this is Texas!:cool:

And more property taxes!

Take care,
Jeff

you know jeff, what sucks is that the aggies have probably had their best 2 QBs in the past 30 years in McNeal and now McGee, at least in terms of talent, but have so little around them and the coaching isnt looking too good. If only McNeal had been an aggie in the early 90's (apologies to corey pullig)

you know jeff, what sucks is that the aggies have probably had their best 2 QBs in the past 30 years in McNeal and now McGee, at least in terms of talent, but have so little around them and the coaching isnt looking too good. If only McNeal had been an aggie in the early 90's (apologies to corey pullig)

I hate to date myself but I'm still a huge Bucky Richardson fan. I still haven't seen anyone who could get Kyle Field that excited.

Take care,
Jeff (Class of '90-ouch)

Obviously You'd have to say bucky richardson (how bout that game in the holiday bowl!) would be the fan favorite over the past 20 years, but he was more of gamer than an NFL level QB talent. I actually am the sole non aggie from an aggie family, but when you grow up following em it is hard to stop.

I actually am the sole non aggie from an aggie family, but when you grow up following em it is hard to stop.

Yep, it is hard. We never lost to Texas while I was in college. Obviously, thing are a wee bit different now. :(

Watching Aggie games is much harder these days then back in the day.

Take care,
Jeff