Thank you note for shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning on sending a doc I shadowed a thank you note and was wondering if anyone has sent one before? I am having trouble coming up with what to say and would greatly appreciate some help or even a sample note that someone might have sent. (i am not the greatest writer). thanks for any help! Best, moto;)

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, I wrote one to the first doctor I shadowed...mine basically said:

"Thanks for allowing me to job shadow you, I sincerely appreciate the kind and helpful attitude of you and your staff"

(something like that)

Reactions: 1 user
thank you ncguy; anyone else like to pitch in?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I spent a lot of time shadowing them (50+ hours) I usually include a gift certificate with my thank you note. Usually to their favorite coffee shop or a trendy sandwich shop near their office. They don't need it, but I think it's a nice gesture.

It depends.

I shadow a surgeon from time to time, you can talk to him like a surgeon. 3 sentence email, no flowery stuff.

For instance, I shadowed him thursday on his rounds, to M&M and then into the OR where he let me anastamose some colon, use the bowvie, cut and sew some other stuff (I've never even scrubbed in before this)

My thank you note was just
"Dr X, Today was awesome, will never forget it. Thanks a ton"

They dont REALLY want/expect a gift card or you to buy them lunch because they know they make a ton more than you and you're just a poor undergrad probably making no more than $10/hr anywhere.

What they want is sincere interest and attentiveness throughout the whole time, and of course, you to join their specialty.

I shadowed a family-practice doc for an extended period of time......in my thank-you note, I mentioned a few specific instances that stuck out in my mind, thanked him for his explanations, and mentioned the impact the experience had in relation to my decision to practice medicine.

Mine were always pretty simple. Something like,

"I appreciate the opportunity that you gave me to visit your practice last (insert day of the week) and for the insights that you gave me into the field of (insert specialty). I would also like to thank your staff for making me feel welcome." To personalize, make a brief reference to something specific that you experienced.

Reactions: 1 users
Do thank you notes usually get sent via email or a hardcopy card or something of that sort. Thanks

It depends. I shadowed a surgeon and his staff was also really awesome. When I was finished, I got them a thank-you card as well as two boxes of chocolates: one for the staff and one for the surgeon. His reply upon receipt of this was: "Wow, you didn't have to do that." But I genuinely enjoyed my time there and I think they knew that. I also pointed out in my note that the lessons I had learned would certainly go a long way in my academic and professional careers. Just do what you feel like, there is no standard way of going about it.

For instance, I shadowed him thursday on his rounds, to M&M and then into the OR where he let me anastamose some colon, use the bowvie, cut and sew some other stuff (I've never even scrubbed in before this)

What hospital is this, remind me to never be admitted there.:idea:

It depends.

Gah! It's only a thank you note!

Just eloquently word "Thank you, I had a great time and learned a lot" and perhaps put an ego booster in there for them like "You're a great doctor".

Do thank you notes usually get sent via email or a hardcopy card or something of that sort. Thanks

Hard copy would be better.

Do you guys typically ask all the physicians you shadow for LORs? I feel like having only shadowed someone for a certain period of time does not give him or her a good perspective of who you are.

Do you guys typically ask all the physicians you shadow for LORs? I feel like having only shadowed someone for a certain period of time does not give him or her a good perspective of who you are.

Sometimes they offer at the drop of a hat. I got as many LORs as I could on file and then decided which to send when I applied (based on how good I thought they'd be, which was usually based on how well I got to know the writer).

there's no way I'll ever beleive you're telling the truth... :eek:

I've worked with him for over a year. He was standing there the whole time/position stuff.

I just re-read and it sounded like I did the whole procedure. I just got to do some non critical things that there are no way I could have seriously hurt the patient (unless I just started stabbing).

It was pretty freakin sweet. I was just hopin to maybe hold a retractor (which I did for about 2 hours and then they just kept letting me do some more stuff)

there's no way I'll ever beleive you're telling the truth... :eek:

I believe it, the surgeon I shadow lets me bowvie all the time, put catheters in, and things of that sort.