Thank you notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountebank

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is a pretty hot topic, discussed in another forum. What's some of the opinions out there on whether or not to send thank you notes.
Do some prefer "letters" instead of notes? Since EM is one of the competitive fields, students often interview at >10 programs, do you send EVERYONE who inteviews you a thank you "notice" or just the program director? Or are you waiting to see what your top 3-5 programs will be and send them thanks.

love to hear the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by mountebank
this is a pretty hot topic, discussed in another forum. What's some of the opinions out there on whether or not to send thank you notes.
Do some prefer "letters" instead of notes? Since EM is one of the competitive fields, students often interview at >10 programs, do you send EVERYONE who inteviews you a thank you "notice" or just the program director? Or are you waiting to see what your top 3-5 programs will be and send them thanks.

love to hear the feedback.

I know this is psycho, but I have been sending everyone a thank you, just out of politeness. It almost seems like just kissing up to the PD to just send him one. We'll see if I can keep it up.

mike

Absolutely send thank you letters to each person that you interview with! A good way to remember the names is to keep your itinerary that is given to you for each interview day. After each interview, write a few comments on what was discussed with each person Esp if it triggered a good conversation) so you can refer back to the subject...
Remember, everything you do to make yourself stand out will only help you (hopefully).
What I did was write one letter to the director, and then a copy of that letter to each of the people that I interviewed, and hand wrote a comment to that respective person thanking them and saying some BS about how interesting our conversation was about.......
Well, hopefully this helps...
I did my residency from '98-'02...
I applied to about 30ish programs, interviewed at 12, and matched in my top 3...
Statistically, if you do 12 interviews, you should match...good luck!
Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard what you said before and during other interviews... that if you interview at 12, you will likely match (also heard that 8 is the magic number)...
my question is this...
Does that also mean you have to RANK 12 (or 8) programs? Obviously we are just generalizing here... and that the statement of 12 interviews = match is a huge generalization... but to be more specific...

I plan to interview on about 11 or so... had 20 offers... I just dont' feel like interviewing anymore...
I will probably only rank 8-10 of those programs as well... short of the 12.
thoughts?

I don't think there is any magic number. You have to interview at the number that you feel will give you the best shot at matching and at the same time give you choices you want. My only advice having gone through the match. DEFINITELY don't rank a program you don't want to end up at, unless you only have a few interviews (like 2). It may happen. I'm not saying it will happen, but remember anything is possible. It will certainly make you feel ill worrying about ending up there, and you don't want that. Good luck. Maybe I'll see some of you at UIC.

Originally posted by docB
Thank you notes are a must. Send them to the PD and the faculty who interview you. Email is probably OK but you might want to snail mail your top pics.
docB

I e-mailed the ones that are available. A lot of times you don't have access to everyones' email via the web sites. I also send thank yous to the one or two residents who had the most part in showing me around.... like if there was one carting me around to a dinner, then giving me a tour, etc. And the program coordinator/secretary too! A lot of these people go nuts trying to make the interview rotations work, and I think a lot of people send thank yous to the doctors but not to them. Do I think it "helps?" Probably not, I'd really doubt it. But it's more of the polite thing to do.

mike

Is everyone as obsessive about thank-you's as those who have posted here?! I've heard faculty say snailmail thank-you's are cumbersome and annoying. Maybe I've remembered this because it's what I want to hear. In any case, I think email thank-you's are sufficient and that one should only bother emailing the PD (rather than each and every interviewer) at programs that are not tops on his/her list. Another point: some programs rank candidates the same day they interview...sending thank-you's to these guys is clearly a politeness issue only.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by bokonon
Is everyone as obsessive about thank-you's as those who have posted here?! I've heard faculty say snailmail thank-you's are cumbersome and annoying. Maybe I've remembered this because it's what I want to hear. In any case, I think email thank-you's are sufficient and that one should only bother emailing the PD (rather than each and every interviewer) at programs that are not tops on his/her list. Another point: some programs rank candidates the same day they interview...sending thank-you's to these guys is clearly a politeness issue only.:rolleyes:

I don't think it's obsessive. Just polite. I don't eat at someone's house and leave without saying thank you, either. It doesn't matter if it affects the rank or not. If it annoys some people ... I'm sorry. That person probably has a serious problem if they get upset by a "cumbersome" card. If they're that much of a dick, maybe I don't want to work for a person like that anyway.

mike

I interviewed in towards the end of December. I was planning on waiting until I'd finished all my interviews to send out the thank you notes. From what I gather this was the wrong thing to do. How can I remedy the situtation now? Will it look bad if I send out the notes 3-4 afterwards?

Come on, guys. I am only writing thank you notes to the Program Director and I'll add a note at the bottom to thank Dr. so-and-so for interviewing me. There's no need to write everyone... that's overkill.

I'm personally writing thank you notes to all the faculty and residents I interview with. So it's cumbersome and extra work, but I'm a traditionalist, and really have nothing else to do.

Politeness isn't a requirement, but in a random, arbitrary process which is going to determine my entire future (or lack thereof, should I fail to match), I don't think I can afford to cut any corners.