thankyou letters after an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teeth22

teeth22
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering...is it absolutely necessary for us to write thankyou letters after an interview??
I just had an interview this week and I forgot the names of my interviewers.....what do I do?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, thank you letters don't do anything to improve your chances. But, I do think it is a very professional gesture.

though is not mandatory, sending a thank you email or a card is a very nice gesture and will help you stand out. try to make it personal and make sure to reassure them about your interest in the school, if you do have an interest after the interview.

One way to get the names of your interviewer is to call the office and tell them that you are writing thank you notes and wanted to make sure the spelling of all the names are correct. but if you don't feel like calling them, then it's best not to send anything then mess up on their name.

teeth22 said:
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering...is it absolutely necessary for us to write thankyou letters after an interview??
I just had an interview this week and I forgot the names of my interviewers.....what do I do?? :confused:

Like the others have said...it's not always necessary to send thank you's, but if you're talking about one of your top schools, i'd want to do everything i could, even if it's a little thank you of appreciation for their time. If you remember any little thing about them...like their department or if they were full or part-time or maybe what their name sounded like...i suggest you take a look at the schools website. Sometimes you can identify them by looking at their list of faculty. I know that doesn't always work, but i did that with one of my interview thank you's.