The 19 AA and under club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

personalstatementsbyeric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love to see some love here from the 19 and under club - where are you applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
19 AA/ 18 TS/ 20 Bio/ 17 GC/ 17 OC/ 20 QR/ 22 RC/ 20 PAT
oGPA: 3.77 sGPA: 3.87

Really good LORs and ECs
~250 Shadowing Hours
>100 Volunteer hours
~2000 Hours work (TAing/Tutoring)

Residency: MD

Schools (Ranked): UMD, Temple, Pitt, NYU, VCU, BU, Tufts, Creighton, CU, Tuoro and WVU. Maybe UNE and UNC.

Members don't see this ad :)
19 AA/ 18 TS/ 20 Bio/ 17 GC/ 17 OC/ 20 QR/ 22 RC/ 20 PAT
oGPA: 3.77 sGPA: 3.87

Really good LORs and ECs
~250 Shadowing Hours
>100 Volunteer hours
~2000 Hours work (TAing/Tutoring)

Residency: MD

Schools (Ranked): UMD, Temple, Pitt, NYU, VCU, BU, Tufts, Creighton, CU, Tuoro and WVU. Maybe UNE and UNC.
Is VCU relatively OOS-friendly?

So far have interview at MWU-AZ. Hoping more come :)

Indiana resident
cGPA: 3.70
sGPA: 3.73

DAT: 19 AA/18 TS/21 PAT/ 22 RC/ none under 17

TONS of work experience as well as a lot of volunteer work in underserved communities.

60 cc credits but transferred to 4-year and did well.

75 shadowing hours.

School list;

Indiana
AT Still Missou
AT Still AZ
Midwestern AZ
Midwestern IL
UNLV
Case western
NOVA
Lecom
Roseman
Western
UNE

19AA, 19TS, 18PAT, 23RC, 3.65o, 3.45s, lots and lots of EC's and 110 hours of shadowing, good LOR's.

Residency: OH

Applied to: Indiana, OSU, MWU-IL, UDM, UMich, Case, Pitt, and UNC. Only got an interview at UDM so far. Applied early June:

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you guys think I should retake my DAT?
AA:19 PAT:20 BIO:17 GC:19 OC:20 RC:21 QR:20. My gpa is a 3.6 and my sgpa is 3.5 I am worried about the biology section I think I was just so flustered about taking the real exam that I freaked myself out. I have about 100 hours shadowing and over 300 hours of community service. I'm applying to Boston u, tufts, NYU, meharry, Maryland, temple, stony brook, buffalo, rutgers and touro

AA:19 PAT:20 BIO:17 GC:19 OC:20 RC:21 QR:20. My gpa is a 3.6 and my sgpa is 3.5 I am worried about the biology section I think I was just so flustered about taking the real exam that I freaked myself out. I have about 100 hours shadowing and over 300 hours of community service. I'm applying to Boston u, tufts, NYU, meharry, Maryland, temple, stony brook, buffalo, rutgers and touro

Nope. You're fine. 17 is the cutoff for most schools and the rest of your stats are stellar. You're fine!

Do not retake. You're fine. I would take Touro off my list based on accreditation and how unorganized they are right now. NY also requires a one year residency and the school isn't established yet so it's a little bit risky. I would take off Stony, Tufts, and Rutgers. Their average is about a 22 from what their admission staff said. Add more private schools.

Nah I'm sorry. It has too much personal information in it and I don't have time to go back and edit it out. Plus it only has like 3/4 of the schools since the others I wasn't qualified to apply to.

What has too much personal info in it?

Members don't see this ad :)
No retake needed yet imo :) your AA is the average accepted AA and nothing is below cutoffs. I think you'll be able to net some interviews

Last edited:
PAT:19
QR: 17
RC: 19
Bio: 19
GC: 19
OC: 19
TS: 19
AA: 19

My Overall GPA: 3.48 Science GPA: 3.45

Very avg. GPA and DAT :(

Average gets in! As long as the rest of your app is good as well :)

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
I'm glad someone started a thread like this! My stats are: 19 AA/19 Chem/ 18 Bio/ 18 OChem/ 24 RC (apparently I love reading :laugh:)/ 17 QR/ 20 PAT; 7000 hours working as a dental hygienist, 800 community service hours, 108 shadowing specialties, tutor during school year, research experience; BSDH and soon to have a BS in Biology. 3.3 overall and 3.1 science; great LORs!

Applied to: Midwestern AZ, AT Still AZ, Colorado, AT Still MO, NYU, Rutgers, Temple, Penn (I may not fill out their supp because I read in their packet that they won't interview under a 3.3 science GPA... anyone substantiate that?), VCU, Louisville, Maryland, LECOM

Interviews thus far: Midwestern AZ

Good luck to all! :highfive:

Do not retake. You're fine. I would take Touro off my list based on accreditation and how unorganized they are right now. NY also requires a one year residency and the school isn't established yet so it's a little bit risky. I would take off Stony, Tufts, and Rutgers. Their average is about a 22 from what their admission staff said. Add more private schools.
Which other private schools would you suggest applying to?

Which other private schools would you suggest applying to?

Off the top of my head? Roseman, LECOM, Touro (although I personally took this one off my list), UNE, Case Western, WesternU, and might be some more I am not thinking of at the moment.

I'm glad someone started a thread like this! My stats are: 19 AA/19 Chem/ 18 Bio/ 18 OChem/ 24 RC (apparently I love reading :laugh:)/ 17 QR/ 20 PAT; 7000 hours working as a dental hygienist, 800 community service hours, 108 shadowing specialties, tutor during school year, research experience; BSDH and soon to have a BS in Biology. 3.3 overall and 3.1 science; great LORs!

Applied to: Midwestern AZ, AT Still AZ, Colorado, AT Still MO, NYU, Rutgers, Temple, Penn (I may not fill out their supp because I read in their packet that they won't interview under a 3.3 science GPA... anyone substantiate that?), VCU, Louisville, Maryland, LECOM

Interviews thus far: Midwestern AZ

Good luck to all! :highfive:

Nice app and stats! You'll definitely get in. Man you got me beat by 2 points in that RC. Jealous!

Nice app and stats! You'll definitely get in. Man you got me beat by 2 points in that RC. Jealous!
Thanks! I was super shocked about the reading considering most of my childhood I was remediated for reading comprehension! I thought the passages were actually interesting! Good luck to you! :)

AA 17
Pat 22
QR 19
RC 17
BIO 18
Gen chem 17
Ochem 16
TS 17
oGPA 3.49
sGPA 3.25

:( any advice to boost my chance to get an interview?

Sent from my SM-N920T using SDN mobile

Yeah my retake is comin up in October. Do you think it is too late for the cycle?

Stranger things have happened, but I will have to agree with @personalstatementsbyeric that you'll need a retake. Dental schools do report ranges of acceptances from 16-24AA with a mean of 19-20AA but those under usually have something else going on such as an incredible background, disadvantaged student, exquisite volunteering and research, etc. Your PAT is high though and I believe there are some schools that may weigh that the most. Look into those while you plan on the retake.

Stranger things have happened, but I will have to agree with @personalstatementsbyeric that you'll need a retake. Dental schools do report ranges of acceptances from 16-24AA with a mean of 19-20AA but those under usually have something else going on such as an incredible background, disadvantaged student, exquisite volunteering and research, etc. Your PAT is high though and I believe there are some schools that may weigh that the most. Look into those while you plan on the retake.
Will do. Thnks @DMDDDSHopeful

Sent from my SM-N920T using SDN mobile

AA= 18
TS= 19
Bio= 19
Gchem= 19
Ochem= 18
RC= 17
PAT= 16
QR= 15

CGPA= 3.47
BPC = 3.56
BPCM= 3.42 (C in a 6 credit calc class)

Resident=NY

good LORs and ECs

~100 Shadowing Hours for an Oral Maxillofacail surgeon
~24 hours shadowing an international dentist
~151 Volunteer hours
~1,000 research hours (no publications)
~1536 hours as a Dental Assistant
~2,000 hours working as a PCT in a hospital- blood drawing, Vitals etc
Also had other non healthcare jobs in college

B.S=biology

I would take anywhere =( Finished my supplemental apps for about weeks for most of them but still have 0 interviews =(

Last edited:
AA= 18
TS= 19
Bio= 19
Gchem= 19
Ochem= 18
RC= 17
PAT= 16
QR= 15

CGPA= 3.47
BPC = 3.56

Resident=NY

good LORs and ECs

~151 Volunteer hours

B.S=biology

I would take anywhere =( Finished my supplemental apps for about weeks for most of them but still have 0 interviews =(

Your PAT and RC will hold you back. This is my 4th cycle applying and so far I have zero interviews with my 19AA/19PAT/22RC and I just got rejected by ASDOH without a reason as an reapplicant who even took their advice from a phone consult and still got rejected. It's brutal out there. @personalstatementsbyeric has been having great success so just know that the advice we give is from our own opinions and experiences. My friend's friend got in last year with an 18 and my own classmate got in with a 16 so you never know.

AA 19
TS 19
OC 19
BIO 20
GC 18
RC 19
PAT 20
QR 18

- 3.1 MS in Biology - Parasitology research - A&P I-II (pre-nursing track) instructional assistant (3 lab sections /semester)
- 1000+ shadowing and RDA-ing
- 1000+ volunteering
- Private tutor and work full time in a clinical reference lab (recent promotion)
- LORs from a Scientific Director at work, 2x from school

Goose Egg Interviews.

AA 19
TS 19
OC 19
BIO 20
GC 18
RC 19
PAT 20
QR 18

- 3.1 MS in Biology - Parasitology research - A&P I-II (pre-nursing track) instructional assistant (3 lab sections /semester)
- 1000+ shadowing and RDA-ing
- 1000+ volunteering
- Private tutor and work full time in a clinical reference lab (recent promotion)
- LORs from a Scientific Director at work, 2x from school

Goose Egg Interviews.

What is Goose Egg Interviews? The MS GPA is very low. Admissions counselor told me even a 3.5 for a MS GPA is just average and you need above. Can you raise it still?

What is Goose Egg Interviews? The MS GPA is very low. Admissions counselor told me even a 3.5 for a MS GPA is just average and you need above. Can you raise it still?

Zero interviews. And no biggest weakness of my app. I tend to take on too much stuff during school, like multiple jobs and F myself. But I can't rely on education to pay off my loans. The market is not education friendly what so ever, its experience friendly. Learned that the hard way

Last edited:
Zero interviews. And no biggest weakness of my app. I tend to take on too much stuff during school, like multiple jobs and F myself. But I can't rely on education to pay off my loans. The market is not education friendly what so ever, its experience friendly. Learned that the hard way

Amen. Unless you get a degree that is in demand, the market is not supporting those without experience. Debt is high, tuition is rediculously high, and I don't think dental schools even care about struggles or overcoming situations. The one and only interview I received, the counselor asked how many are second or third generation aspiring dentists, and the whole room lit up. It's a lot like politics, they say the things everyone wants to hear but there's little to no proof it's what they think or do behind the scenes. You're a lot better off being a traditional student who comes from a family of healthcare professionals, didn't have to work in college, and spent thousands on exam preps to get a 24AA on your first try.

AA:19
TS:18
BIO:17
GC:16
OC:21
RC:20
QR:19
Applied as disadvantaged economically
First in my family to graduate college
215 hours shadowing
251 hours extracurricular/volunteering
4203 hours part time work
oGPA 3.18
sGPA 2.98
GPA avg last 51 credits: 3.80
No interviews so I'm looking at retaking the DAT over winter break I guess. Hoping to get my gpa higher with my last two semesters, just had a bad start. Not sure what else to do, any advice?

Your DAT is good enough for a good amount of schools but the under 17 is commonly a cutoff point. I know Roseman requires a 17 or above in every section. Your GPA isn't great but the last 51 credits with an average 3.8 is good.
Are these all sciences? How many credits do you have overall? I finished the last 60 credits for my Bachelors with a 3.7 and over 40 credits for postbacc Masters as 3.9 and I still can't get in. It's very tough. Best of luck to you.

:wow:
:wow: Oh wow. No not all sciences, I have Political Science as a minor and have a total of 94 credits so far heading into my senior year. It's just my about first 3 semesters were really terrible until I got my mind right. But wow I was really hoping, seeing how dental schools supposedly care about strong upward trends, that it would be enough for them. Good luck to you man hopefully this cycle is better for you.

The whole upward trend is bogus. I had a rough start as well and really turned it around with 19 credit semesters finishing my BS, Dean's List, tons of EC, and then went ahead to do a MS, etc. I had to do a lot of 4.0 semesters to bring my GPA up to graduate with honors. Anyway, they don't care about any of that or if you've done research or publications. In the end, they want someone who was perfect from day one. I guess they see people who have had struggles and overcome them as a gamble. They may say they want students like that and that they review holistically, but they don't. The best example is politicians. They say nice things and may mean what they say, but they never actually do it.

If that was the case there would be no need for interview. They would take the the top 100 applicants with the highest stats if they only want less risky student. There are a lots of applicants that received interview that posted on sdn with a 3.3 gpa 19aa. I dont know what going on with you, but what holding you back is not your stats. Maybe it your school selections? Lor?

Even you probably dont believe what you saying. Didnt you say your friend or somebody you know got in with a 16 and a 18? Im pretty sure a 16 and a 18 is nowhere perfect.

Last edited:
The whole upward trend is bogus. I had a rough start as well and really turned it around with 19 credit semesters finishing my BS, Dean's List, tons of EC, and then went ahead to do a MS, etc. I had to do a lot of 4.0 semesters to bring my GPA up to graduate with honors. Anyway, they don't care about any of that or if you've done research or publications. In the end, they want someone who was perfect from day one. I guess they see people who have had struggles and overcome them as a gamble. They may say they want students like that and that they review holistically, but they don't. The best example is politicians. They say nice things and may mean what they say, but they never actually do it.
Comparing the dental admissions selection process to politics is bogus.. upward trends absolutely have an impact on your application. There isn't one successful applicant who did not improve their app. in some way throughout their undergrad, whether it be ECs/shadowing/numbers.

ADCOMs are more interested in your journey throughout undergrad. and how you've managed to develop yourself/overcome any limitations and then build on them. I agree that selection isn't a holistic process, however upward trends can speak volumes on an average application.

AA= 18
TS= 19
Bio= 19
Gchem= 19
Ochem= 18
RC= 17
PAT= 16
QR= 15

CGPA= 3.47
BPC = 3.56

Resident=NY

good LORs and ECs

~151 Volunteer hours

B.S=biology

That PAT score will make it very difficult for any ADCOM's consideration.. I know many schools weigh the PAT if not as important but second to TS, typically.

Comparing the dental admissions selection process to politics is bogus.. upward trends absolutely have an impact on your application. There isn't one successful applicant who did not improve their app. in some way throughout their undergrad, whether it be ECs/shadowing/numbers.

ADCOMs are more interested in your journey throughout undergrad. and how you've managed to develop yourself/overcome any limitations and then build on them. I agree that selection isn't a holistic process, however upward trends can speak volumes on an average application.

I disagree. Why? Because I'm a prime example. This is my 4th cycle applying. If I told you my credentials and everything, you would gasp in horror. They claim to be interested in your journey but it's not true. Sure, there are occasions that people with lower stats and poor GPA get in but what they want is perfection from the get go. There's another article on here that it took someone 6 cycles to get in because they had a rough start and did the whole postbacc, EC, experience, and even was an athlete. Don't kid yourself they really care about overcoming anything or upward trend.

Here's the link:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2015/0...r-how-i-got-into-dental-school-after-6-tries/

And he only got in because he got fed up and dared to ask them how many would have given up. I haven't given up after 3 times but I may after the 4th. How many of you are willing to spend your time, money, writing statements, asking for LORs, and committing yourself to everything on top of a full-time job? It's not easy and it's not fair, but tough luck--life isn't either.

I disagree. Why? Because I'm a prime example. This is my 4th cycle applying. If I told you my credentials and everything, you would gasp in horror. They claim to be interested in your journey but it's not true. Sure, there are occasions that people with lower stats and poor GPA get in but what they want is perfection from the get go. There's another article on here that it took someone 6 cycles to get in because they had a rough start and did the whole postbacc, EC, experience, and even was an athlete. Don't kid yourself they really care about overcoming anything or upward trend.

Here's the link:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2015/0...r-how-i-got-into-dental-school-after-6-tries/

And he only got in because he got fed up and dared to ask them how many would have given up. I haven't given up after 3 times but I may after the 4th. How many of you are willing to spend your time, money, writing statements, asking for LORs, and committing yourself to everything on top of a full-time job? It's not easy and it's not fair, but tough luck--life isn't either.

I feel your pain but you basing your opinion on two situations. Like you said the first three times, your downfall was applying too late. Your schools list might also be a potentially problem. Why dont you list all your stats, including sgpa (u tend to leave that out alots.) All the schools you applied to then maybe we can get a clearer picture.