The 2014 TCOM Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattrmcg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In keeping with the perpetuation of very short traditions, here is the 2014 TCOM waitlist thread: a place to discuss waitlist-related stuff for the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine!

Members don't see this ad.

Let's get the thread going! I was put on the waitlist mid march. I'm hoping for some movement in next week or so. I know last year was a slow year. Let's hope this isn't the case again this cycle.

Aye!
I made myself a nice checklist for the summer to tide me over while I work...figured it would help out those in waiting:
1. List out weaknesses
2. Initiate plans to address weaknesses
3. Finish TMDSAS as soon as possible
4. Make sure all courses and prereqs are up to date

For those in the future who have been accepted and want to kill time this summer:
1. Steam's Summer Sale (www.steampowered.com) will kill all the time you have
2. Clinically Oriented Anatomy is something excellent to read (as is Netters for viewing)
3. Shadow some more DOs in different specialties
4. Check out some of the clubs that UNTHSC/TCOM have to offer

If anyone has some suggestions for those waiting, put them up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any word on the waitlist movement this year? I know about 5-7 medscis who have been accepted since march. Hopefully the movement will start soon. This wait is brutal!

It picks up around June, based on last year's thread, mostly because the wait lists all have a delay between movement, and due to the June 1st deadline. Typically, there is a week or two lag, but you can use the thread linked above to get a rough estimate on when wait list movements occurred (we kept general time records to get a more accurate representation on how much the wait list does move).

A rough example: Person A holds spots at School A and School B, and decides to choose School A instead of B, so a spot at School B frees up. That spot is then occupied by Person B off School B's wait list, but he already had a spot at School C (I think this is correct). Anyways, what occurs is a cascade effect across schools, and one school in the cascade will be TCOM. What is interesting is that you could have a person, Person Alpha who is waitlisted at TCOM but accepted to DO School 2, and Person Beta, who is waitlisted at DO School 2 but accepted to TCOM. Say a spot opens up at TCOM and Alpha gets it, then he could potentially free up a spot for Person Beta at School 2, which leaves another spot for TCOM.

Our Facebook group had about 6 new people suddenly join last week. Most were med-scis, but it seems a couple were wait-listers. Things seem to have started moving for y'all at least.

Just combing through the alerts today, and 3 spots opened up at a few places around TX, so should free up some spots at TCOM :)

Two confirmed off of the wait list on Wednesday, 4 June 2014

One was a current MedSci, the other a non-traditional student! Hang in there everyone!

I was pulled off the wait list at the same time. Good luck to all of those waiting!