The Best Class to Take To Improve Verbal Reasoning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

susan767

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am still interested in taking the MCAT again just because I know I can do better than the last time I took it. The verbal reasoning section is the section that really screwed me over. I was thinking of taking a liberal arts course in the community college in the city I live in. I was thinking Philosophy, Art History, or Critical Reading and Thinking. Has anyone taken a liberal arts class and it actually made a difference in how they handled the verbal reasoning section? I have ExamKrackers Verbal book as well that I have been working through, I just want something additional so I know when I take the MCAT, I will feel a lot better about the verbal section. Thanks for any input!!

Members don't see this ad.

i go to a liberal arts college. i'm takin a course next semester thats called rhetorics in health professions. its a two unit credit/ no credit course but its entirely dedicated to the verbal reasoning section on the MCAT as well as personal statements. try and find something like that! if not, any english course that reuqires a lot of analytical reading i guess.

None of my classes helped me, and yes I went to a liberal arts college. I was also a philosophy major. The best thing to do is simply practice and analyze. That's it. There's no secret trick, no special class, nothing. Just practice. Pick up EK 101 Verb, Gold Standard's Verb work book, Berk Review's, etc and do practice passages under timed conditions. Then go over your verb test and analyze what you did wrong AND right. Find your mistakes and strategies that worked. Apply. Rinse and repeat. The only thing that class might give you is more practice material. Most of the time those classes hurt you because they give you bad strategies and get you into a rut. The first thing you should do is find the person teaching it and ask what they got on the MCAT verbal. If they didn't take the test, there's little reason to take the course. Also find out where they get their practice passages. If they make them up themselves and don't write for the test, that's another red flag.