the best medical school for a non-traditional applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goguryo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do these schools look

1. USUHS
2. Tulane
3. UCSF
4. UIC
5. Penn State
6. Duke
7. MCW

Members don't see this ad.

how do these schools look

1. USUHS
2. Tulane
3. UCSF
4. UIC
5. Penn State
6. Duke
7. MCW

I don't know what you define as "non-trad friendly", and I'm not sure what your definition of "non-trad" is either. For the most part if you are <28-30 years old, despite being a non-trad that isn't really an issue. The most important factor are undergrad GPA and MCAT scores. If you are over 30, some schools (very few from what i can tell) may grumble a bit, but again, if your GPA/MCAT are good, then you shouldn't have a problem at most schools.

This leads me to my next questions: (1) what is your state of residence, and (2) what are your GPA/MCAT like? For one, if you are not a California resident, you might want to consider scratching UCSF off the list. If our undergrad GPA and MCAT score is sub-par in terms of the UC schools, I'd consider scratching UCSF off the list too. UC's will accept a CA resident over any out-of-state resident unless (1) there the out-of-state resident has stats surpassing all CA residents, and (2) there are slots left over after they have admitted students from their pool of CA applicants. Given the average undergrad GPA is 3.6-3.7 and MCAT of 33-34 for students admitted to the UC's...for the most part, you may have to beat those stats just to be considered.

Now, in terms of other schools on your list, I'm assuming USUHS is the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences. Just looking at their website, they specifically state that you have to be 30 years old or younger (>30y/o requires special permission from the dean), and meet the requirements to be a commissioned office in the US Army.

For UIC (University of Illinois, Chicago), they have preference for people in that state. So I'm confused here. What is your state of residence. CA? IL? Eitherway UIC or UCSF will be difficult to get into depend on where you reside. Therefore it all comes down to what your credentials are, what your stats are, and where you live, rather than just asking if such schools are "non-trad friendly". However based on the information you have given me, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but you may need to do some more in-depth research in where you want to go, and the mechanics of med school application...rather than just picking which schools sound good.

the list is agro, huh?!

There aren't any schools that are expressly for, or against, non-trads. Choose which ones you'd like to go to. If you're unsure of your chances there, then call up admissions and ask to speak to the dean and ask them directly. You might get the go-around, you might hit it off. Be sure to cast a wide net, and definetly apply to more schools than you've listed - many people apply to more than ten. The application process is so painful you want to make sure you get in on the first try, instead of doing it over again.