The best path to take??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

distalloops123

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I'm a dietetic (clinical nutrition) student graduating this May from a Masters Program. Halfway through the program, I realized I wanted to dive way deeper into medicine and decided to shoot for medical school afterward. Here is where I'm torn...

This program allows me to sit for the RD exam and become a Register Dietitian, to which I could work clinically. Should I continue on and take the exam to become an RD or should I not take the exam and just gain clinical experience elsewhere while I finish up my undergrad prerequisites (which will take around a year to finish)? I realize there are pros and cons to each but I can't figure out the best and most efficient route to take. I appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, so I'm a dietetic (clinical nutrition) student graduating this May from a Masters Program. Halfway through the program, I realized I wanted to dive way deeper into medicine and decided to shoot for medical school afterward. Here is where I'm torn...

This program allows me to sit for the RD exam and become a Register Dietitian, to which I could work clinically. Should I continue on and take the exam to become an RD or should I not take the exam and just gain clinical experience elsewhere while I finish up my undergrad prerequisites (which will take around a year to finish)? I realize there are pros and cons to each but I can't figure out the best and most efficient route to take. I appreciate any feedback!
I would. Why not get some work experience and pay off a few bills while balancing classes? What are your concerns?

Reactions: 1 user
I would. Why not get some work experience and pay off a few bills while balancing classes? What are your concerns?
I think it's the cost of the RD exam/prep, time to prep etc. that was throwing me off at first... I didn't know if it was worth it, knowing I'm going to have to officially prep for the MCAT really soon. But all in all, I guess you're right it would help to be making an RD salary while going through all of this.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's the cost of the RD exam/prep, time to prep etc. that was throwing me off at first... I didn't know if it was worth it, knowing I'm going to have to officially prep for the MCAT really soon. But all in all, I guess you're right it would help to be making an RD salary while going through all of this.
Are you complete with your pre requisite classes for med school? Don't take the MCAT before you are quite ready. That includes having the Bio Chem and Organic complete. That mistake causes many people to reconsider their plans.

Are you complete with your pre requisite classes for med school? Don't take the MCAT before you are quite ready. That includes having the Bio Chem and Organic complete. That mistake causes many people to reconsider their plans.
Not yet I still have Organic, Bio Chem, and Physics to complete; I only have the basic sciences right now (gen bio/chem w/ labs). Thanks for this. I'll make sure to complete the remaining prereqs before moving forward and pushing for the MCAT. So just to clarify, you recommend I wait until all of my prerequisites are finished before I begin preparing for and scheduling the MCAT test date? Or should I do this when I'm nearing the end of taking the remaining classes?

Not yet I still have Organic, Bio Chem, and Physics to complete; I only have the basic sciences right now (gen bio/chem w/ labs). Thanks for this. I'll make sure to complete the remaining prereqs before moving forward and pushing for the MCAT. So just to clarify, you recommend I wait until all of my prerequisites are finished before I begin preparing for and scheduling the MCAT test date? Or should I do this when I'm nearing the end of taking the remaining classes?
I think your MCAT prep would go better once you have completed the pre reqs. As the Wise @Goro says, med school isn't going anywhere. Don't take the MCAT until you are ready. A low first time score can cause delays and re evaluating your goals. Many schools average multiple MCAT scores and even if you make a nice improvement, the result may still not look so good. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 2 users