THE "BIG THREE"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHUT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I continually see references to the big 3 Caribbean schools: SGU, AUC and Ross. Saba is rarely mentioned. I would appreciate some opinions on Saba and in particular, it's deficiencies compared to the big 3. In what research I have done thus far, it seems like Saba should be on par with the others.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

SABA seems to have a good reputation with its graduates. I think the reason why it's not usually classified to par with the big 3 is because their grads cannot be licensed in California (and maybe other states?), nor is the clinical program as strong as the clinical programs of the big 3. At best, even the clinical programs of the big 3 aren't optimal. At least with the big 3, it's less of a headache getting all your rotations at ACGME residency programs. This is important because certain states require that your clerkships be done at these programs.

awdc said:
SABA seems to have a good reputation with its graduates. I think the reason why it's not usually classified to par with the big 3 is because their grads cannot be licensed in California (and maybe other states?), nor is the clinical program as strong as the clinical programs of the big 3. At best, even the clinical programs of the big 3 aren't optimal. At least with the big 3, it's less of a headache getting all your rotations at ACGME residency programs. This is important because certain states require that your clerkships be done at these programs.

I think, it has to do with the age of the programs. SGU, Ross, and AUC are the "established" programs in the Caribbean. They have proven records and grads in positions in academic medicine. There are some good programs (like SABA and SMU) that probably just need more time so there are more graduates, but will be considered in the same breath soon enough.