The Capella University Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The public doesn't know that there is a difference in training, so they will assume that all psychologists have the same training, which damages the field. The training model is not sufficient for the field. The lack of acred. speaks to that, the struggle to get licensed speaks to that, and many of their own students readily admit to sub-par training. It would be irresponsible of other clinicians in the field to ignore this very real problem. I am all for letting the free market decide who should thrive, but there have to be minimal standards (APA-acred) to ensure the safety of the public.

:thumbup: This. There needs to be a standard for what we call "psychologist". I don't want to be equated with someone with unequal training.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not privy to the actual review, though I'd guess it has a lot to do with the lack of "equivilancy" across training domains, which includes a significant difference in hours of training. My biggest objection to online training is the lack of close mentorship. E-mailing with professors is fine for certain things, as I did quite a bit of my later edits this way, but not for others. I'm not sure how someone can adequately teach a student WAIS-IV administration fromi behind a camera/computer. The technology has come a long way, but I don't believe it can adequately bridge the gap to provide the same level of education necessary to produce a competent clinician to practice at the independant level.

Bolding for emphasis! The current class, psychological testing, exposes us to WRAT4, WAIS, ABAIS, SASSI, 16PF for a fictitious client that is assigned. Yes, interpretation help is given, but the book (neukrug and fawcett) is a joke. The test manuals are here, and while a good resource, I found far more information in the Essentials for the WAIS-4 specifically (as well as 16pf and some assistance with WRAT4). The main issue is that the first 3 weeks of class is devoted to a refresh of statistics, which IMHO isn't needed. We take inferential statistics, tests and measures does a pretty good overview of statistics. And then it's like we are left alone with the testing part; specifically with one test (WAIS) where we have no manual. How in the heck are we to interpret anything?! Again we do have interpretation help file given in the updates and handouts, but it does nothing if we don't know how its derived or the subtle nuances of the testing. What angered me is that I had to look at alternative means to find something about WAIS-4 interpretation. We do need a mentor to help us form an overall image of any client, and without that, the reports suck.

So for the testing alone, I agree wholeheartedly. You need the mentorship because there is a lot of nuances not conveyed in the god awful textbooks! And the testing manuals are very little help either due to time constraints. Psychological testing, for sure, could be done differently. And to see that it is not, it's like we, as a school, aren't generating competency. And that's the main thing.

There is no doubt that traditional universities aren't perfect. However I find it telling that Capella students typically compare their experience to undergraduate schooling at these universities, rather than doctoral schooling. My experience in my PhD program could not be more different than my undergrad experience, and its at the same "type" of institution.

That's the main thing. Many people compare their experience of B&M to undergraduate experience, but no comparison is made to graduate schools or anything. Maybe with a Phoenix or a DeVry (which are jokes in itself). Literally, on the boards at Capella, the main argument is the rigor of the program at Capella versus undergraduate B&M. I just shake my head...

For the lack of accedidation, do you feel it is related to the lack of contact hrs etc, or lack of challenging curriculum? I agree the clinical psychology programs would be hard online. You can describe to someone a condition but is completely different when you see if first hand.

it's a lot. As a student, if Capella continues this, I don't see them ever getting APA accreditation. Capella has to fundamentally change their program for that to happen. And they won't. I want Capella to succeed, but so far, it's been very frustrating as a student.

I'm sorry if I'm blasting Capella, because in many ways teaching theory is pretty good. When it comes to psychological testing. It's necessary to have some mentorship and probably mentorship is diagnosis, psychopath, and a lot of other classes too now that I think of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
#1 -

domineus - WHY are you a student at Capella if you are so unhappy? Seriously, leave. You will not be missed. Capella is only for those who can withstand the immense expectations and curriculum. You get what you give and clearly you are not giving it your all.

I cannot wait to complete my MBA program so I can apply for their Doctoral program. I have heard such good things about their PhD program from friends, colleagues, clients, and online reviews. I have been discussing the program through email with various (current and alumni) students to make sure the program has everything I want and expect. I've been back and fourth with 7 different people over the past few months. I asked them to give it to me - the good, bad, ugly, secret agenda nonsense... I cannot get them to shut up... (which is good, I like..). They will rant on and on about compiling dissertations, the support system they have around them while conducting research, etc.

The program sounds like SO much more than I expected. I am particularly quite jealous I am not yet there. I will be soon! Now I am SURE someone will say "Well those are the business program...!" - Nope. Wrong. I am talking about students and alum from a variety of programs. I cannot find any other problems (other than dominiums) regarding the clinical psych program at Capella. This is a very individual and unusual issue that one student has with Capella. Someone needs a timeout.

Now I get to the nasty stuff. It is pretty alarming to see such petty and pathetic nonsense posted on a STUDENT DOCTOR forum board. The level of intellect is scary... really really scary. Are you sure it is a good idea for you all to enter the medical field? I applaud your parents for raising you to think you can do whatever you want.

At the end of the day I lay my head down on a comfortable down pillow and know my future is set. My educational achievements at Capella will inevitably secure my future career goals. Students need to do their own legwork and make sure Capella fulfills their residing states requirements. Students need to make sure the school suits their career and educational goals PRIOR to enrollment. Students need to put their priorities in order - do not enroll, attend 1-2 colloquiums - THEN research the school. Seriously.. this is not junior high school. Better yet... we aren't even talking about an undergraduate program here!

I thought online learning would be an "easy out" when I first applied several years ago - similar to what 90% of the StudentDOCTOR.net assumes as well. I was sent into SHOCK during my first semester. Maintaining a 4.0 average was not an easy task as I made the adjustment from traditional to online learning. The bar was raised to a level I had never seen before. I would not change a thing... Online learning seems to provide a much deeper insight to the subject at large. Every topic discussed is thoroughly researched - way beyond what the traditional institution student is able to comprehend.

Best of luck, Dumbinius. I would suggest transferring as soon as possible to free up the negative energy that you are filling up the Capella servers. You are a sad excuse for a student and should be ashamed. It is beyond unprofessional and unethical for you to take your issues to a forum board rather than discuss your troubles with a Capella advisor. Why are there thousands of beyond satisfied students and alumni - yet the cheese stands alone....??? Seek professional help and for the love of God -- please do not put anyone in the position of seeking your help. Scary.

Love Always,

Liana Turner

Wow, just wow.

Liana your defensive and immature post only perpetuates stereotypes about Capella and its substandard education and zero admission standards. Interested students reading your post will run in the opposite direction. You gave Capella a ****tier review than any of the SDN posts ever could.

Some things to comment
Why would Capella have to hire anyone when you have comments from students like that? Within this topic, I have indicated ad nauseum that many Capella students live in a romantic idealized bubble ignorant of the issues occurring in a variety of different avenues.

I'm glad that you, Liana, had a good experience as an MBA. But if you notice something, this is a mental health doctoral student forum. While the experience can add much, it has very little to do with the vexations discussed about clinical programs overall. In that, congratulations for an egotistical post in which you feel your experience is the par excellence in the Capella University program.

In many ways, students like you are the problem. I am a student at Capella University. If I feel my university isn't performing something that I have paid money to, I will complain, and I have every right to do so as a student. But neither once in any of my complaints did I resort to childish name calling. And you call yourself a professional? A master in your industry. I feel sorry for the industry you're in.

You are welcome. What part of my post would you point out as a sign of substandard education? Was is the part where I displayed disgust towards "SDN" or bragged about the particularly perfect education I am currently receiving? I don't think you know (no, you don't know) how little I care about your opinion. Like I said in my post - the immaturity and unprofessional jabber was going on here long before I registered as a member. I am far from immature and apologize if my choice of words offended you. I did not obtain a position as a high profile executive in Manhattan with immaturity. (Darn internet - does it to me all the time). Dominius expressed his negativity and now I am expressing my love. I have researched, attended, discussed, blogged about, read about, wrote about, laughed about, cried about many institutions across the nation. I won't reveal much about that (or you may figure out who I am in the media) but... I would have fell upon such issues already. This guy (or gal?) is one of a kind situation and it is quite unprofessional for him/her/he-she to generalize Capella by one (ONE) bad scenario and bad mouth the university until his face turns blue.

It is a sad day when a student is dissatisfied with the education he is receiving. However, unless the entire student body (or, I will be fair: 50%+) communicates sadness over their program and disappointment - you need to consider that individual student is particularly "one in a million" with perhaps personal "issues" (if ya know what I mean...). This anonymous student clearly has an underlying issue with Capella that likely sits on the idea he is a failure (either in life or academia).

Anyway... This is really a battle no one will win. I know I am right -- You may think you are right. I actually have work to do... so, this will (probably) be my last post. I am enrolled in a very high demanding MBA program that requires extensive research and work. I don't know how all of you can sit here and question Capella while your own "work" sits undone. You shouldn't bad mouth Capella while you know the students are engulfed in assignments and research - it isn't fair!

Cheers,

Liana

...I have no words... none at all. You have essentially proved every single nay sayer on student doctor absolutely correct in every single assertion they have about distance program. How utterly disgusting

I manage a large company in NYC (400+ employees), have two children, run two of my own companies (from home), and 2-3 classes per session at Capella University.

As we have said NUMEROUS times, PhD programs are not just about the classes. In fact, most of us would agree that classes are the least important part.

I really have to close my browser and forget this site exists. It is just poison and filled with evil... Sad for all of you,

L

This post is just too painful to read. I don't know if i should laugh or cry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for proving my point. Students need to do their OWN research and legwork... With that being said, I hope dominius does his research in the future.

How many people need to say this isn't an MBA forum before I get sick? I KNOW that - I specifically said in my initial post that this was a general statement regarding the superior level of education that Capella provides students with. Capella SPECIFICALLY states the lack of accreditation on the website! It is repeatedly stated over and over and over... There is NO excuse for someone to miss out on the ******* NOTICE ***** and 2+ years down the road in their program cry because of their own ignorance...

This is just really stupid - and the name calling? Really? Just sad... You all need to take a giant leap back and realize there is much more to life beyond this forum. People are living outside - go try it... and study while you are at it as well.

I came here to provide information and input but received the responses I expected: backlashing from the peanut gallery. You didn't see me badmouth any other institutions, did you? Yet your immaturity glows as you state terrible things about Capella without any experience. It is a terrible way to live and I will say a prayer for all of you.

I really have to close my browser and forget this site exists. It is just poison and filled with evil... Sad for all of you,

L

I have the experience and I can verify many of the statements many other professional students and doctors on this forum has about Capella. Sadly, you filled in the rest of the assertions that are said about Capella.

It's interesting that your subjectivity dictates that the only things in this thread have been negative. From a clinical context, there are a lot of startling issues with the Capella method that results to less than competent practitioners. And that's the main thing.

The members here have a low view because we aren't trained even similarly on a level that other learners are. That's not a statement grandstanding SDN, that's my conclusion based on my experiences. From a theoretical context, Capella provides great instructors, and I feel the teachers are good (even if that is open to debate). However, as far as clinical training, preparation for treating clients of various mental and physical issues, Capella doesn't do that on my level. At all.

I've said this time and time again that I can go blue in the face. We are dealing with people not pigs. I'd rather go to a program that puts me in a clinical rotation where I can learn the experience even if I make mistakes, at least I am learning. I would rather go to a program where I can at least have some sort of relationship with a teacher so I can learn finer techniques that isn't in the book. The colloquium provides only a fraction of that "face time".

The only one that has been negative is you. The one that has resorted to name calling is you. The one that wont clarify or put matters in a perspective is you.

And yet, you wonder why other posters have stated that your post makes theirs correct? It's pretty simple.

My review of Capella wasn't glowing, but it was honest and takes into consideration the industry we are trying to get into, the training, practicum and internship experiences. And in weighing the totality of the curriculum versus other master/doctoral learners, Capella doesn't make the grade.

Often times, I am asked of competence. The reason why I can be competent is because I interact with others in my field. I network outside of my romanticized bubble. I suggest you do the same and then come back.

As far as the comparison to undergraduate experiences, there is no comparison and it is like comparing apples to oranges. But you're in a program where you're becoming an expert in your field. It's supposed to tough, it's supposed to be damnable. It's supposed to make you sacrifice, because it shows whether or not you're worthy. Same way MDs, nurses, PAs, social workers, all have to sacrifice something for their knowledge and profession as a student.

You're right you should close this browser, you should leave. Return back to your bubble. But in the mean time, I will be making several suggestions (yet again) because I want Capella to be APA accredited. But currently the APA accreditation ain't happening

]
- Dr. Rhadi Ferguson, 2004 United States Judo Olympian, 4-Time National - Judo Champion, Only PhD Male and also the only African American PhD Mixed Martial Arts Fighter to fight in a major organization Strikefore. Dr. Rhadi Ferguson is also a master educator, trainer, teacher and coach. [/I]

Ok, but Chuck Norris counted to infinity -- twice....

#1 - I am "new" here because a fellow Capella student (who shall remain anonymous) posted on our Capella Community Forum about the nonsense going on here at the StudentDOCTOR Network. THAT is WHY so many NEW and random users have been posting here.

etc.

1245227615_colin_farrel.gif

That about sums it up.

Dominius: Your identity has been revealed within the Capella community. Sufficient research was conducted today in order to complete this task. Congratulations.

Warm Regards,

- APR

Uh oh, now the Capella Mafia will be going after you! You'll be sent to the Org for reprogramming. How dare you diss their TOTES AWESOME school online!

Actually, from looking at Capella's website, they don't seem to offer an applied (clinical, counseling, school) doctorate, so I'm confused... :confused: (I still don't think you could get a proper research PhD in psychology from an online school, either, but it's not *as* egregious, IMO).

Oh, and outing other SDN members is *seriously* not okay.

Dominius: Your identity has been revealed within the Capella community. Sufficient research was conducted today in order to complete this task. Congratulations.

Warm Regards,

- APR

so...what?
I have nothing to hide. Are you serious making it like its a mafia. Now this is sad...omg you know who I am. Let me hide in my trousers holding my binkie... :idea:
:scared:

And its sad instead of having a dialog, its this. ******ed as frick

and previously they had a clinical phd but switched to psyd program in like 09

Warm Regards,

- APR

You left your name as Liana Turner. You attempted to delete all your posts but since we already quoted them they show up as soon as you search the internet. Congratulations for writing the most ridiculous posts on SDN!

This thread got awesome while I was in class:laugh:

Regulars - this is exactly the sort of thing I'm referring to. Notice the "My education is AWESOME, my work is SOOOO HARD" without even a hint of an attempt to address the specific issues that have been mentioned or provide any remotely objective information allowing for a comparison? This was a perfect example of what I've been saying.

I'm sure the logic we've seen here leads to stellar dissertations. "I didn't collect any data but these variables are SOOO correlated. If you don't think they are you must be EVIL and POISONOUS because I THINK that and my professors think I'm AWESOME and they're AWESOME".

Outstanding...

I wish she'd come back. Oh well, if we're being featured on Capella's forum another one's bound to come along!

This is madness!... No, this is CAPELLA!

(Apparently I'm all about the movie quotes lately).

Warm Regards,

- APR

Well that about sums it up then. NOBODY expresses their dissatifaction with Capella! Lest they crush you like a grape. :laugh:

Get real would ya, lady..shessh.

Who knew the Capella mob was so fierce. I'll be looking behind my shoulder in the coming days.

What was even stranger to me is that she kept saying really nasty things to D and calling us all evil, but then would sign her name with "love always" or "Warmly."

Hahaha, a person who called the OP "Dumbinius" decries name calling.

I'm glad some of you quoted the posts cause this s&^$ is funny :)

I'm shocked at the bullying happening here! What snobbery! If Capella is so bad (or, rather, if it is not even on the radar as competitive), why are so many trying SO hard to put it down? The personal attacks on this thread are embarrassing to watch. Why not just report experiences, good and bad, and leave it at that? This does not represent traditional clinical psychology programs well at all.

I am a master's student (PhD application bound at traditional universities) in clinical psychology, and although I once considered Capella's master's program in counseling (I took a class and then decided it wasn't for me), I would never think of insulting it in the way that it has been done here. I even took 3 classes through Capella's psychology department that transferred to my master's degree. It worked out really well for me. I don't see much of a difference between their classes and the classes at my school. In fact, many of the classes at MY school were so awful I would even consider Capella superior. Yes, the internship and practicum component are subpar (the application process, anyway) and the research component cannot compare to "traditional" PhD programs, but maybe traditional isn't what some people are searching for? There are merits to online programs, and I also agree that it is an unavoidable part of the future of education.

Let people do what they want to do. If you really want to hear what folks like or don't like, fine--listen. Otherwise, project your anger elsewhere.

I'm shocked at the bullying happening here! What snobbery! If Capella is so bad (or, rather, if it is not even on the radar as competitive), why are so many trying SO hard to put it down? The personal attacks on this thread are embarrassing to watch. Why not just report experiences, good and bad, and leave it at that? This does not represent traditional clinical psychology programs well at all.

I am a master's student (PhD application bound at traditional universities) in clinical psychology, and although I once considered Capella's master's program in counseling (I took a class and then decided it wasn't for me), I would never think of insulting it in the way that it has been done here. I even took 3 classes through Capella's psychology department that transferred to my master's degree. It worked out really well for me. I don't see much of a difference between their classes and the classes at my school. In fact, many of the classes at MY school were so awful I would even consider Capella superior. Yes, the internship and practicum component are subpar (the application process, anyway) and the research component cannot compare to "traditional" PhD programs, but maybe traditional isn't what some people are searching for? There are merits to online programs, and I also agree that it is an unavoidable part of the future of education.

Let people do what they want to do. If you really want to hear what folks like or don't like, fine--listen. Otherwise, project your anger elsewhere.

did you even read the thread?

This thread got awesome while I was in class:laugh:

Regulars - this is exactly the sort of thing I'm referring to. Notice the "My education is AWESOME, my work is SOOOO HARD" without even a hint of an attempt to address the specific issues that have been mentioned or provide any remotely objective information allowing for a comparison? This was a perfect example of what I've been saying.

I'm sure the logic we've seen here leads to stellar dissertations. "I didn't collect any data but these variables are SOOO correlated. If you don't think they are you must be EVIL and POISONOUS because I THINK that and my professors think I'm AWESOME and they're AWESOME".

Outstanding...

I have certainly appreciated your insights, and hopefully you not to think all those who attend Capella are idiots. I am amazed at some of the arguements for and against the University. I have benefitted from my education there, but some of the other Capella folks posting here are a bit over the top. We are not all like that by any means.

did you even read the thread?

I think your review is warranted. It represents a side of the University which needs improvement. I think it is good to expose the weaknesses of a program with the intent to build it stronger. (Which I think you have done). Behavior doesn't change until it no longer is reinforced. Perhaps this will get the University thinking about ways to enhance the program to help learners like you pursuing a clinical psych PhD. If more students avoid the program for licensing/APA reasons, the program will be forced to change, or be left behind.

Certainly not all. I also don't doubt that some (most) probably benefit from the education in some way or another...that's never been the issue. The issues are, is a PhD equivalent to that in other programs, does it provide adequate training for its students to be successful, is it worth the price tag, and what assurance can it provide that all (or nearly all) of its graduates are competent across the board in away that they can be trusted to adequately represent the profession.

This has been an ongoing discussion for years on this board across a number of threads. Generally speaking, asking poignant questions is seen as "bullying" (see above), and such questions are generally refuted only with name-calling, cries of elitist, and vague declarations that this is the "future". I don't believe it applies to all Capella students, but I've certainly been...underwhelmed...based on what I have seen here and the handful I've met in person. These threads go a long way towards reinforcing any negative stereotypes because for every 1 person who actually seems capable of having an intelligent discussion on the topic, there seems to be at least two there is just no hope for. I realize its a message board but given the way many of these students react to criticism, argue,etc. I genuinely wonder how on earth they would handle peer review, pass a dissertation defense, etc.

Last edited:
Certainly not all. I also don't doubt that some (most) probably benefit from the education in some way or another...that's never been the issue. The issue, is a PhD equivalent to that in other programs, does it provide adequate training for its students to be successful, is it worth the price tag, and what assurance can it provide that all (or nearly all) of its graduates are competent across the board in away that they can be trusted to adequately represent the profession.

This has been an ongoing discussion for years on this board across a number of threads. Generally speaking, asking poignant questions is seen as "bullying" (see above), and such questions are generally refuted only with name-calling, cries of elitist, and vague declarations that this is the "future". I don't believe it applies to all Capella students, but I've certainly been...underwhelmed...based on what I have seen here and the handful I've met in person. These threads go a long way towards reinforcing any negative stereotypes because for every 1 person who actually seems capable of having an intelligent discussion on the topic, there seems to be at least two there is just no hope for. I realize its a message board but given the way many of these students react to criticism, argue,etc. I genuinely wonder how on earth they would handle peer review, pass a dissertation defense, etc.

or well you know clients...you know the major reason why the practice is occurring...
Ollie you made points that I have been arguing in this thread. And its upsetting that these students are my classmates. What a glowing review...

Certainly not all. I also don't doubt that some (most) probably benefit from the education in some way or another...that's never been the issue. The issue, is a PhD equivalent to that in other programs, does it provide adequate training for its students to be successful, is it worth the price tag, and what assurance can it provide that all (or nearly all) of its graduates are competent across the board in away that they can be trusted to adequately represent the profession.

I think you hit it on the head with the peer review point. I would guess some might be alarmed by the thought of this, but it is how good science is validated. I see your point regarding the vagueness of answers. I thought they would discuss the university differently, and avoid some of the mudslinging. Perhaps we can work on the 1:2 ratio.

I think you hit it on the head with the peer review point. I would guess some might be alarmed by the thought of this, but it is how good science is validated. I see your point regarding the vagueness of answers. I thought they would discuss the university differently, and avoid some of the mudslinging. Perhaps we can work on the 1:2 ratio.

I got nothing to hide for Capella, so if you need anything just ask. Seriously, at least there will be some answers...

Surprisingly fourth time a mafia has tried to do something against me...man...that's random
eh well back to 16PF reading and analysis (get touchpad tomorrow want to be done with it)

Furthering the thread about Capella University and a response to the posting from domineus regarding the Capella psychology programs.

I’d like to offer some comments to this thread and respectfully offer a different perspective on a couple of comments offered by domineus. I am nearing the completion of my program with Capella University and have had some similar experiences and some that are apparently a bit better.
First, let’s state the obvious, not all schools or all programs are the right fit for everyone. Thorough research is a good idea to be sure the program you chose is a good fit. Next, again I realize I am stating the obvious, but it will make sense by the end of my comments, even the Masters or PhD program most well suited to an individual will have a few issues that will be frustrating. I attended a top-quality Midwestern college for my undergraduate and I am proud to have a diploma from that school. There are certain things about that school that bug me and I wish I could change, but they forgot to check with me before structuring the psychology and art department majors (humor intended).
A quick comment about the residences (colloquia) at Capella; I can honestly say that my course one residency was powerful, emotional, self-revealing, and overall a great learning experience. Was it expensive? Well, it depends how you look at it. It was nearly $2,000 all-in counting the course, the hotel, transportation, and odds and ends. That does not include some very fun nights out with new friends and associates, a little food, a little beer and wine, etc. The bottom line: was it worth it to me? Unquestionably yes.
I am a mid-career changer and I am using Capella to get to some new opportunities that I would not have a chance to pursue without a CACREP endorsed advanced degree. If you are considering on-line universities and you don’t know what CACREP is, do your homework to find out and you will be glad you did. Anyway, my point here is that I have attended many 3, 4, or 7 day seminars over the years. Some of them cost more than the Capella residency, some cost about the same and just a few cost less than the Capella residency. It’s part of getting the degree and while we all wish things cost less, in comparison to other similar experiences, the cost is quite reasonable.
A quick comment on the requirements of practicum. Time spent in internships (pre-practice practicums) can take many forms. I have examined this fairly thoroughly. There are a few private-practice psychologists who will take in interns and charge an hourly fee. That seems fair to me since the hours spent with an intern are hours that they cannot earn their living. However, do note, Capella has no requirement that student-interns pay their internship supervisors. My asking around to other fellow students nearing the end of their programs did not find anyone that took this approach. Everyone that I spoke to found a traditional place to conduct an internship and will not be paying their supervisor. Frankly, to get direct feedback from an experienced, respected practicing psychologist, I might consider paying an hourly rate. This may be more meaningful for a mental health care professional than a research psychologist, I am not actually sure.
A quick comment about instructors. I agree with domineus that some of the Capella instructors are absolutely great; Dr. Loos, Dr. Zeng, and Dr. Cabanilla (Dr. “C”) come to mind. Most of the rest of the instructors I have had were ‘good’ to ‘adequate,’ with one that I was not overly impressed with. I suppose that compares well with other schools. The school’s web site for students, they call it the I-guide, gives you the background for each instructor. All the instructors that I have had for classes have had great backgrounds.
Here’s how I decided which on-line school to attend. I looked around to the practicing mental health counselors and psychologists and asked them right out which on-line school they would suggest. I’d say 75% or so brought up Capella. A number of them got their Masters or PhDs from traditional colleges, but now attend on-line schools for further training or for certificates. A traditional school was out of the question for me at this point in my life. A majority of the Capella students I have come to know over the last three years could not have gone back to school for their advanced degrees if not for the on-line approach. So, requiring that students and instructors get together once a month, or something like that, would eliminate most students. It would have eliminated me.
I have not attended any other on-line Universities so it is unfair of me to project what my experience might have been at some other on-line school. All things considered, my experience at Capella has been rewarding and I have learned a great deal. Similar to part of the comments from domineus, you will get out of it what you put into it. If you are not a self-starter and motivated, possibly the on-line approach is not the right one for you. If you are willing to do the work and are motivated from within, then the flexibility of the on-line approach could be great.
Thank you for the opportunity to further the discussion thread on the topic of Capella University. Sincerely, a 3rd year Cappella student.

Interesting comments, Allyn, but you seem to be missing the point. No one on this thread is arguing that Capella is a bad online school. As far as online schools go, it's probably one of the better ones.

We *are* arguing that it cannot adequately prepare you to be a clinical psychologist. Capella's online program is not equivalent to the research-intensive and mentoring-heavy PhD/PsyD experience at a brick and mortar institution. Capella is not a good option for students who want to be licensed as a clinical psychologist. Any online school is not a good option for students who want to be licensed.

You say that requiring more face-to-face time would have eliminated your ability to attend a program. I'm sorry to hear that. But becoming a psychologist is not a *right*. If not for schools like Capella, most students faced with circumstances that made attending a brick and mortar institution impossible would determine that a PhD or PsyD was impossible to achieve at that time. They would look into other employment or educational options. Capella markets itself as equivalent to traditional PhD/PsyDs. It's not. Students who attend Capella are not prepared for licensure and they are not competitive in the academic job market.

A quick comment on the requirements of practicum. Time spent in internships (pre-practice practicums) can take many forms. I have examined this fairly thoroughly. There are a few private-practice psychologists who will take in interns and charge an hourly fee. That seems fair to me since the hours spent with an intern are hours that they cannot earn their living.

This kind of a setup is problematic for a number of reasons, the most obvious being the murky ethical implications of such an arrangement.

Here’s how I decided which on-line school to attend. I looked around to the practicing mental health counselors and psychologists and asked them right out which on-line school they would suggest. I’d say 75% or so brought up Capella. A number of them got their Masters or PhDs from traditional colleges, but now attend on-line schools for further training or for certificates.

I think both confirmation bias and heavy marketing contributed to their answers. The crux of this thread is comparing online programs to traditional programs, not which online program would be best.

As has been said its another POV...but the POV misses the major thing that thewesternsky notes.

Read my posts. Any of them. I never said Capella University is a bad school. In fact, I think as far as learning theory, its a good school. But as has been said time after time after time, the graduate experience is far more than teaching and learning. It's application, its mentorship, its research, and a slew of other things that Capella doesn't do. That's the contention and that's always been the contention.

I'm glad some people get a lot of good experiences from the Colloquium, but I am not there to make meaningful relationships (it's not a summer camp). I'm there to learn to become competent. And the time from the colloquium to time of internship, is a joke. I know if I'm not constantly interacting with clients or something, I lose some of those skills. Naturally, with the upwards of a year post colloquium completion to internship to toss you in does make you incompetent.

Capella has been rewarding and I have learned a great deal. Similar to part of the comments from domineus, you will get out of it what you put into it. If you are not a self-starter and motivated, possibly the on-line approach is not the right one for you. If you are willing to do the work and are motivated from within, then the flexibility of the on-line approach could be great.

I think anyone in a grad program has to be self motivated. I can say every serious graduate student is self motivated and a self starter in order to succeed. It's the burden of the beast. Capella doesn't stand so different in that there has to be larger motivation for a Capella student vs B&M student. In fact, there is more self motivation and self starting at the B&M because of the several issues that are currently facing mental health.

No one learns clinical work effectively in the classroom, whether online or in-person. What cuts it is the practicum and internship component. The classes don't matter--the practicality of finding good clinical placements does. And by "good," I mean, one that meets the student's goals. Capella makes finding a placement difficult. Once you land it, it's not a problem--you're on equal ground. You will learn. However, consider that the politics involved could be what is making it hard to get a placement--preconceived ideas about what online education is, lack of connections, etc.

Also note the difference between master's level accreditation (CACREP), APA (doctoral) accreditation, and regional accreditation. Capella's program is perfectly suitable for master's level clinicians, except for perhaps the ease of finding a practicum/internship placement, so why wouldn't it be so for doctoral levels? Oh, because it's not APA accredited. That's the only reason. Many reasons that may be the case. Their graduates could potentially still get licensed, depending on state licensing requirements. It's only a possibility for anyone, let's face it--no guarantees. But it's still an issue of practicality of finding a placement. The regional accreditation is important for all students, but much more so for non-clinical students. Obviously, anyone who pursues a PhD through a non-traditional route will be eliminating the possibility of working in traditional academia. That's not why they're doing it!

The classes don't matter--the practicality of finding good clinical placements does. And by "good," I mean, one that meets the student's goals.

Whether or not a student's goals are met is really secondary to competency. A program is responsible for producing competent, well trained, and ethical clinicians. A student is not in a position to know what they need, that is why they are in training and have mentors to help guide them. My 1st practica experience was not my 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice...but my DCT thought it would be a good experience for me. Looking back on it, they were right and I was wrong. I didn't know what I didn't know...and they saw an opportunity to help me grow as a young clinician.

Capella makes finding a placement difficult. Once you land it, it's not a problem--you're on equal ground. You will learn. However, consider that the politics involved could be what is making it hard to get a placement--preconceived ideas about what online education is, lack of connections, etc.

Not all placements are created equal. Most programs specifically prohibit private practice training experiences because they are too limited in training and don't meet the other training requirements of a typical practica site. Students may still work for a private practice, but not for sanctioned hours.

Also note the difference between master's level accreditation (CACREP), APA (doctoral) accreditation, and regional accreditation. Capella's program is perfectly suitable for master's level clinicians, except for perhaps the ease of finding a practicum/internship placement, so why wouldn't it be so for doctoral levels? Oh, because it's not APA accredited. That's the only reason.

I think some very important other reasons have been stated in this thread.

Thanks for your honest review. I was wondering if you, or any other Capella psych PsyD students would be willing to share your student handbook and your syllabi. Maybe if you share them we can see that they stack up to what "we" do in our "traditional" programs.

Furthering the thread about Capella University and a response to the posting from domineus regarding the Capella psychology programs.

I’d like to offer some comments to this thread and respectfully offer a different perspective on a couple of comments offered by domineus. I am nearing the completion of my program with Capella University and have had some similar experiences and some that are apparently a bit better.
First, let’s state the obvious, not all schools or all programs are the right fit for everyone. Thorough research is a good idea to be sure the program you chose is a good fit. Next, again I realize I am stating the obvious, but it will make sense by the end of my comments, even the Masters or PhD program most well suited to an individual will have a few issues that will be frustrating. I attended a top-quality Midwestern college for my undergraduate and I am proud to have a diploma from that school. There are certain things about that school that bug me and I wish I could change, but they forgot to check with me before structuring the psychology and art department majors (humor intended).
A quick comment about the residences (colloquia) at Capella; I can honestly say that my course one residency was powerful, emotional, self-revealing, and overall a great learning experience. Was it expensive? Well, it depends how you look at it. It was nearly $2,000 all-in counting the course, the hotel, transportation, and odds and ends. That does not include some very fun nights out with new friends and associates, a little food, a little beer and wine, etc. The bottom line: was it worth it to me? Unquestionably yes.
I am a mid-career changer and I am using Capella to get to some new opportunities that I would not have a chance to pursue without a CACREP endorsed advanced degree. If you are considering on-line universities and you don’t know what CACREP is, do your homework to find out and you will be glad you did. Anyway, my point here is that I have attended many 3, 4, or 7 day seminars over the years. Some of them cost more than the Capella residency, some cost about the same and just a few cost less than the Capella residency. It’s part of getting the degree and while we all wish things cost less, in comparison to other similar experiences, the cost is quite reasonable.
A quick comment on the requirements of practicum. Time spent in internships (pre-practice practicums) can take many forms. I have examined this fairly thoroughly. There are a few private-practice psychologists who will take in interns and charge an hourly fee. That seems fair to me since the hours spent with an intern are hours that they cannot earn their living. However, do note, Capella has no requirement that student-interns pay their internship supervisors. My asking around to other fellow students nearing the end of their programs did not find anyone that took this approach. Everyone that I spoke to found a traditional place to conduct an internship and will not be paying their supervisor. Frankly, to get direct feedback from an experienced, respected practicing psychologist, I might consider paying an hourly rate. This may be more meaningful for a mental health care professional than a research psychologist, I am not actually sure.
A quick comment about instructors. I agree with domineus that some of the Capella instructors are absolutely great; Dr. Loos, Dr. Zeng, and Dr. Cabanilla (Dr. “C”) come to mind. Most of the rest of the instructors I have had were ‘good’ to ‘adequate,’ with one that I was not overly impressed with. I suppose that compares well with other schools. The school’s web site for students, they call it the I-guide, gives you the background for each instructor. All the instructors that I have had for classes have had great backgrounds.
Here’s how I decided which on-line school to attend. I looked around to the practicing mental health counselors and psychologists and asked them right out which on-line school they would suggest. I’d say 75% or so brought up Capella. A number of them got their Masters or PhDs from traditional colleges, but now attend on-line schools for further training or for certificates. A traditional school was out of the question for me at this point in my life. A majority of the Capella students I have come to know over the last three years could not have gone back to school for their advanced degrees if not for the on-line approach. So, requiring that students and instructors get together once a month, or something like that, would eliminate most students. It would have eliminated me.
I have not attended any other on-line Universities so it is unfair of me to project what my experience might have been at some other on-line school. All things considered, my experience at Capella has been rewarding and I have learned a great deal. Similar to part of the comments from domineus, you will get out of it what you put into it. If you are not a self-starter and motivated, possibly the on-line approach is not the right one for you. If you are willing to do the work and are motivated from within, then the flexibility of the on-line approach could be great.
Thank you for the opportunity to further the discussion thread on the topic of Capella University. Sincerely, a 3rd year Cappella student.

As T4C said, how does Capella evaluate these practica sites to make sure they are appropriate? A student saying "This is good for me" is meaningless...if we are doing that, why do we even have schools? Their job is to provide some level of guarantee that people meet a minimum standard and have trained in places that they have evaluated and deem of sufficient quality. I've asked this question often enough without a response that I'm pretty convinced the answer is "They don't". Which means anyone could get training from quack after quack without Capella knowing/caring.

Who said the only concern is the lack of APA accreditation? What about the other concerns? Most importantly, why does the pro-Capella crowd never answer those questions or provide information on either how Capella deals with those issues, or why those issues shouldn't matter (which I think would be a tough argument to make). Again, if Capella is training real psychologists who are competent and capable of working in the field, they need to be able to have an intellectual, logical discussion on such issues and not just fall back on "I really like it so Capella is good".

Please. Address the points that have been brought up. If your education is good, if its in any way equivalent, please explain how those issues are addressed. Don't just say you like it, that tells us nothing. I like chicken, but eating it doesn't prepare me for becoming a psychologist. I'm open to sound, logical arguments on these issues but so far I haven't seen anyone even try, let alone make a good case.

Last edited:
As T4C said, how does Capella evaluate these practica sites to make sure they are appropriate? A student saying "This is good for me" is meaningless...if we are doing that, why do we even have schools? Their job is to provide some level of guarantee that people meet a minimum standard and have trained in places that they have evaluated and deem of sufficient quality. I've asked this question often enough without a response that I'm pretty convinced the answer is "They don't". Which means anyone could get training from quack after quack without Capella knowing/caring.

Who said the only concern is the lack of APA accreditation? What about the other concerns? Most importantly, why does the pro-Capella crowd never answer those questions or provide information on either how Capella deals with those issues, or why those issues shouldn't matter (which I think would be a tough argument to make). Again, if Capella is training real psychologists who are competent and capable of working in the field, they need to be able to have an intellectual, logical discussion on such issues and not just fall back on "I really like it so Capella is good".

Please. Address the points that have been brought up. If your education is good, if its in any way equivalent, please explain how those issues are addressed. Don't just say you like it, that tells us nothing. I like chicken, but eating it doesn't prepare me for becoming a psychologist. I'm open to sound, logical arguments on these issues but so far I haven't seen anyone even try, let alone make a good case.

Ollie, its a machinated argument
The only thing Capella has drilled in anyone's head is accreditation on both master's and doctoral level. And in some ways, they half way perform that drilling in that they don't necessarily indicate what occurs when you move. Because anything can happen. As quoted before on the first page by T4C I believe, an instance of where licensure didn't carry over; despite accruing the appropriate experience in the state.

Secondly, as for the other questions, to answer them, it involves interacting with your peers in client settings. That's not happening at Capella. I think that's a large issue. but I have said that till I'm blue in the face.

How does Capella ensure that a practica site is good? If the site accepts the student in essence. There could be far more quality control, but it seems as long as it may be a hospital or a setting under the umbrella clinical psychology and has a doctoral level psychologist on staff, then you're in. Which, well as many know, the pickings of that in Chicago is a bit slim.

Again the answer is becoming simple as they give students autonomy to make decision (AKA they don't)

Wow, just wow.

Liana your defensive and immature post only perpetuates stereotypes about Capella and its substandard education and zero admission standards. Interested students reading your post will run in the opposite direction. You gave Capella a ****tier review than any of the SDN posts ever could.

so very true. It appears the bar was not raised high enough :)

I do feel bad for when this person applies for jobs in the business world, will likely be googled and have their name turn up these awfully written posts. Hopefully, it was a pseudonym. The #1 rule of posting online, you do not post your first and last name.

Love Always and a Day,

hp

Which is what I expected RE: practica.

However, you don't seem bent on defending Capella...in fact, quite the opposite;) What I want is for a proponent of the school to tell me why the school is "good" despite that, and back up their assertion with either a logical argument or objective data. Without that, its very difficult to have a serious discussion and the fact that those students seem unwilling/unable to do so makes it very difficult for me to take them seriously as professionals, and is quite telling in general.

Again, if the argument is that its POSSIBLE to get good training, even if true, is not the issue. "Not EVERYONE who graduates is inept" is not exactly a strong case for equivalence. If the school were framed as "Adult education" for those who just genuinely enjoy learning and find it fun I would take no issue with it, but if they are going to claim that they are able to produce competent psychologists...they HAVE to provide some evidence that they are doing so.

Which is what I expected RE: practica.

However, you don't seem bent on defending Capella...in fact, quite the opposite;) What I want is for a proponent of the school to tell me why the school is "good" despite that, and back up their assertion with either a logical argument or objective data. Without that, its very difficult to have a serious discussion and the fact that those students seem unwilling/unable to do so makes it very difficult for me to take them seriously as professionals, and is quite telling in general.

Again, if the argument is that its POSSIBLE to get good training, even if true, is not the issue. "Not EVERYONE who graduates is inept" is not exactly a strong case for equivalence. If the school were framed as "Adult education" for those who just genuinely enjoy learning and find it fun I would take no issue with it, but if they are going to claim that they are able to produce competent psychologists...they HAVE to provide some evidence that they are doing so.

I do defend Capella when I think they perform a task well. When it comes to practica, it sucks. If it didn't I wouldn't have to be dancing looking for a site and being essentially given a PC response because of my school. I mean that's sadly the fact. The people that find internships is kudos to them, but essentially, it boils down to that...

So even a proponent or opponent will attest to the internship rate sucking. Although, there are some sites that have taken Capella students in IL in the PhD/PsyD program. Whether that's still happening is anyone's guess...