The College Choice

Kraytin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a junior in High School who has been looking at a Pre-Medical destiny for about two years now. This is my first post btw and I plan to stay, this forum is awesome.

I am about to spend the next few months doing a lot of college visits with my dad. I live in Indiana so I am visiting IU, Purdue, Notre Dame, Depauw, Rose Holmon, and other ones. IU is pretty much the dominant/only medical school in this state and I will most likely be trying to attend that school come 2015. My question is if this IU Medical School will give preference to IU undergrads over students at other schools?

I ask this because I saw a statistic that the highest percentage of IU Med students came from IU. I haven't been to IU but will going to a much smaller school like Depauw University (about 2500 students) make me a lesser candidate for acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

IU is public so it will give preference to Indiana residents. The reason that there are so many IU undergraduates in their med school is likely because more students from the undergrad apply there and also because of the size of IU undergrad.

So I am a junior in High School who has been looking at a Pre-Medical destiny for about two years now. This is my first post btw and I plan to stay, this forum is awesome.

I am about to spend the next few months doing a lot of college visits with my dad. I live in Indiana so I am visiting IU, Purdue, Notre Dame, Depauw, Rose Holmon, and other ones. IU is pretty much the dominant/only medical school in this state and I will most likely be trying to attend that school come 2015. My question is if this IU Medical School will give preference to IU undergrads over students at other schools?

I ask this because I saw a statistic that the highest percentage of IU Med students came from IU. I haven't been to IU but will going to a much smaller school like Depauw University (about 2500 students) make me a lesser candidate for acceptance?

The reason you see the highest % of IU med students coming from IU is because you are within a public school system. IU probably gives in-state preference, as do most public schools. They want students who are from Indiana who are going to likely stay in Indiana and give back to the surrounding community. I dont know the statistics, but I'd bet that an overhelming majority of the IU applicants are from Indiana. How many californians do you think apply there? Id guess not very many. Im guessing IU is a large public school which means lots of students and lots of pre meds. Those pre meds will probably want to stay in Indiana for med school (close to home, cheap tuition) so they all apply to IU and make up an overwhelming majority of that schools applicants and therefore end up being a majority of the IU medical students. They dont have a special advantage over someone else from another school.

If you went to another school in Indiana, it wont hurt you one bit. It doesnt matter where you go to school. Try hard. Do well. Get involved. Be passionate about what you do. You will get accepted somewhere. I went to a small school (less than 1800 students) in California. Applying to medical school an overwhelming majority of the students were from the UC system...its not b/c they give UC students some special advantage - its for the reasons I described above regarding IU. Go to the school where you will be happiest and in the end youll get what you set out for.