The definitive method to find out if you passed (conclusively)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EW1779

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so after trying the trick at the NBME website, I know for fact it does not work. I tried registering for Step 2 CK after my score was reported on their website, and it let me register, supposedly indicating to me that i failed. I got my scores in the mail today, and I definitely passed. So try this...it works!

First, go to this website here .

I know it's for foreign medical grads, but it doesn't matter. Any legit med student can use this technique. Click on "If you are a first-time user of ECFMG On-line Services, click here to establish an account." at the bottom of the screen.

Go through the steps it tells you to, and it will tell you that your password will be emailed to you. Once they can verify your enrollment at a med school, you will get your password in the your email (usually about 24-48 hours).

Now, go back to the website here . Enter your USMLE ID and password. It will require you to change your password and then set up a series of security questions. Once you have done this, it will take you to a main screen. Click "USMLE™/CSA® Score Reporting Information" in the left hand column. This will show you when and if your score has been reported, or made available to the NBME. THIS TECHNIQUE WILL NOT WORK IF YOUR SCORE HAS NOT BEEN REPORTED.

Once you have verified that your score has been reported, go back to the ECFMG home page (the easiest way to do this is click the giant logo at the top of the page.) Once there, click the IWA link (interactive web application.) You will then need to enter your USMLE ID and password again.

Once you've logged in, click "USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, and/or Step 2 CS" under "Begin a new Application." On the next screen, you will have to click the exam you are interested in and click "next." AGAIN, IF YOUR SCORE HAS NOT BEEN REPORTED THIS WILL NOT WORK.

If you passed, you will see the following red text:

"Our records indicate that you have already passed this Step or Step Component or the equivalent NBME® Part. The USMLE Policy on Reexamination generally does not allow applicants to retake a Step or Step Component if they have already passed that Step or Step Component or the equivalent NBME Part."

If you failed, it will let you proceed with the application.

This worked for me, after the NBME trick let me proceed and convinced me I had failed. It's a little bit of work, but worth it if you want to find out if you passed 3 days early.

AGAIN< THIS WORKS FINE FOR U.S. MEDICAL STUDENTS.

Hope this helps everybody!

-EW

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a US medical student, why not just call your dean's office on the day your score is reported, they get it electronically the same day.

The only DEFINITIVE way to find out if you passed is to wait for your score to show up in the mail! ;)

I know it sucks to have to wait, but in the grand scheme of things it's really no big deal. We all go through it, and we all make it in the end. Plus, as you mentioned, this "trick" shouldn't work until they actually score your test and print the report. This happens on Wednesdays only, and by the time that occurs you can just check online at the NBME site and see that your score report has been printed. You'll then receive the mailing within a couple days, at which point it doesn't seem worth going through extravagant measures to get what remains only a pass/fail and even then still uncertain result.

...just wait for the report in the mail :eek: :rolleyes: