The DILEMMA with SECONDARIES !!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medbound786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I desperately need advice on this ! Should we change the essays on the secondaries from the ones we wrote last year?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

What was the weak point of your application last year? did you ask the adcom after u got rejected?

AxlxA said:
What was the weak point of your application last year? did you ask the adcom after u got rejected?

Will they tell you specifically each major thing they didn't like?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you call them up and demand to know where were the weak points of your application because you want to improve yourself for future admissions etc etc. I think by rejecting you, they atleast owe you an explanation.

Medbound786 said:
I desperately need advice on this ! Should we change the essays on the secondaries from the ones we wrote last year?? :confused:

Some schools told me to re-write the secondary essay, and to update the PS (nothing radical, a.k.a., no need to re-write the whole thing).

AxlxA said:
I think if you call them up and demand to know where were the weak points of your application because you want to improve yourself for future admissions etc etc. I think by rejecting you, they atleast owe you an explanation.

While I agree you can call them up, I think use of words like "demand" and notions that they "owe you an explanation" will pretty much guaranty another rejection. Be incredibly humble and nice -- You should call them, tell them how much you loved the school and wanted to see if they could give you some pointers as to how best to improve your application for the current cycle. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. And even if you don't get into med school, at least you'll have the flies. :)

Avalanche21 said:
Will they tell you specifically each major thing they didn't like?

Remember REL that posted a few days ago?? He's the USF admissions director that does the prescreening sort of stuff and what not.

He makes appointments with people who weren't accepted and discusses what they were lacking or what they could do to improve chances. So I'd definitely say that its a good idea.